WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As reported on WTF by member Tom Carey and confirmed over the weekend by SWI's Lior Ben-Shmuel, not only are the Swiss automatic movements on long backlogs but so are the Miyotas and now the Chinese movements as well.

Doesn't Invicta's acquisition of Tecnica ebauche look better and better? Opinions?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chinese Movements :scared: My long history with Chinese manufacturing says Invicta would be better off going all quartz!!!! :blushing:

·
Banned
927 Posts
Per Jim Skelton, Technica Swiss Ebauche is a Japanese company, not Chinese.

We only know what we're told.

For Invicta to be successful with these movements, the quality MUST be there.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I probably put more faith in the future of Chinese movements. With the current resurgence of automatic movements, I don't think its long before the Chinese stop imitating what others have done, and make the switch to innovation. I expect a 35+ jewel, 60-hour reserve, ultra-complicated movement out of China in the next decade.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
What?

We only know what we're told.

For Invicta to be successful with these movements, the quality MUST be there.
the one thing I think most of us agree on is, the one thing Invicta is short on is quality control.:blink: Well I may be wrong. How about two things. Quality control and customer service!:mad:

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you want to complain about QC and CS go ahead and buy some Chinese movements. Lets see now, how many recalls from China have we had this year alone. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think the Invicta movts "Technica Swiss Ebauche" will be a hit and if the crisis does get worse, we will definitely see more of them..:thumbup1:

·
Banned
80 Posts
I probably put more faith in the future of Chinese movements. With the current resurgence of automatic movements, I don't think its long before the Chinese stop imitating what others have done, and make the switch to innovation. I expect a 35+ jewel, 60-hour reserve, ultra-complicated movement out of China in the next decade.
These are the Chinese that have the worst technology in the world. LOL

Did you read correctly? Did you think it was Japan?

China cant produce anything that can be even remotely called reliable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
These are the Chinese that have the worst technology in the world. LOL

Did you read correctly? Did you think it was Japan?

China cant produce anything that can be even remotely called reliable.

Well, it's a fact of life, like it or not. Check your cell phone, your PC, keyboard, your TV, your camera, your kitchen appliances, your shoes and your kid's toys. Where are they made? Practically everything is made in China these days even that American flag you hang to fly every 4th of July.

However, I agree with you in regards to the reliability issue (or lack thereof). I have serious concerns about watch makers going with Chinese movements. I've owned a couple of watches with Chinese movements in the past (a Timex automatic and an Armitron Skeleton watch). Granted, these were not expensive watches and while they kept good time, their movements are for a lack of a better term: disposable.

For one thing, there is no uniformity in Chinese manufacturing. No standards governing quality control, safety testing, or even worker safety. China doesn't even recognize intellectual property rights. How can one expect reliability or high quality standards from a Chinese factory? The only way to ensure that quality standards are maintained at the factory is if the watch company buys the overseas factory or contracts to send it's own people to supervise the actual manufacturing process.

One can buy an automatic Alpha watch (most of which sell for under $70-$75 bucks) but their Chinese movements are a crap shoot at best. Now if I want a cheap beater, I don't mind paying $70 bucks maximum on a Chinese watch, but I'm not going to be expecting Seiko quality from it. Now you have makers like Timex, Android and even Rotary pricing watches with Chinese movements at $150 even $200. I'm sorry, but I can't bring myself to pay over $100 on a watch with a China-made movement. Call me cheap like that, but something tells me Invicta won't be bringing their prices down if they go the Made in China way.

In the long run, is it worth it? It'll be a huge disappointment if Invicta goes with Chinese movements. What happens when the movement craps out after that whopping one year warranty expires? Is it worth repairing a movement that probably costs less to make than the price of having your watch bracelet sized at a jewelry store? I don't think it's worth it at all. What you end up with is a disposable watch. If Invicta is already falling short on QC and CS, I personally will stay away from anything they put out with a Chinese movement.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Technica is supposed to be Japanese.
Of course, this watch was supposed to be made in the USA, too.

Is it technica or Techina "Swiss" ebauche?

Or is it all just a Popeilish term to make people buy??:confused1:

·
Banned
927 Posts
From my earlier post in this thread:

Even Ron Popeil is probably spinning over that spin on the "Swiss" wording.

·
Registered
67 Posts
From my earlier post in this thread:

Even Ron Popeil is probably spinning over that spin on the "Swiss" wording.
Swiss by way of Japan? :confused1:

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
I can see a whole new line of Chinese Invictas:

The Red Square

Gang of Four Retrograde

Running Dogs of Imperialism

The Chairman Lalo Dress Line

1 - 20 of 20 Posts