WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a nice Accutron 214 watch on Ebay I liked it but it had a somewhat crazy high price. The seller was martinachertok who had a 100% favorable rating. I made a more than fair offer below his crazy asking price which received the comment "Tell me your phone number and I'll try to get back to you in the next few days." Like all watches on Ebay the watch was described as "Rare, Stunning, Superb, just serviced, Vintage, One of a kind," etc. So I gave him my number and we made a deal on the phone, except he explained to me that Ebay fees were unfair, they do nothing for the money, Paypal fees are unfair, he proceeded to give me his unsolicited opinion on the US Govt, taxes, etc, etc. In short he wanted to do a deal outside Ebay, where I send him money in the mail and he presumably sends me the watch at the end. He wanted to bill me a small amount on Paypal as a show of my good faith and for him to delist the watch, and the balance I was to send several money orders or personal checks in several smaller denominations because "the place where he cashes them doesn't have that much cash at one time." I listened carefully and it felt very much like a guy hard-selling a Persian rug at a back alley street bazaar. I received my Paypal bill the next morning. I wrote him through Ebay and said I would be glad to honor the agreed upon price, but we have to do it through Ebay or I have no protection. His response was "Not interested, the birdie that you held in your hand has flown away."

This whole process took several days and I was weary of the back and forth and more than a little suspicious anyway - so it was no great loss. He had a Russian accent and his name is (I think) actually Paul Chertok. Then I decided to Google the name and I read all of the crazy insane listings that you guys have documented, the 148 re-listings of the same watch and the absurdly nonsensical pricing. Really, really insane stuff.

I think he is just fishing for uninformed people who check "Newly Listed" and puts in any crazy price he can think of. He definitely does not want to pay the 10% fee for the Ebay advertising and marketing service he extensively uses, and he probably cashes the checks and avoids paying US taxes that way. Anyway, man was I ever glad I axed the deal once I read all the stuff on Watch Talk Forum about this guy. The fact that he has a 100% favorable Ebay rating really baffles me.

By the way, if you are interested he also has a 6 inch Russian statuette for sale right now that can be yours for only $8,900. Cash only, I assume.

·
Super Moderator
5,838 Posts
Personally i'd probably report that conversation to ebay.... every item that vendor has is listed as "or best offer" so he's probably experienced at playing those games and ya gotta wonder how many he has screwed that cant leave feedback cuz they did a deal outside of ebay or Paypal.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I have run into a few extremely unusual experiences with sellers with 100% feedback. Its odd but not out of the norm. I would report him also. But if he has had good feedback and hasn't had any or very many past issues with ebay, I know they might just brush it off. But its good to give them the details. A few moths ago I bought a watch(other brand not accutron) off ebay with seller that had 10,000+ feedback. Within 1 hour of my purchase I went back into my paid auction to look up some transaction details and the seller had been deleted from ebay. Couldn't open the finished auction, the whole thing just vanished. I called ebay and they said ask paypal for refund as the seller has been removed for serious infractions which they wouldn't tell me about. His paypal account was closed and a DHL shipping ticket was fake. He vanished with my money. I got my money back from paypal. So you never know when you will run into a weird situation. Your story had red flags all over it. be careful!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,476 Posts
I often marvel at the numerous sellers who manage to find dozens and dozens, (if not hundreds) of "rare" watches to tempt us with! :laugh:

·
Banned
2,685 Posts
I often marvel at the numerous sellers who manage to find dozens and dozens, (if not hundreds) of "rare" watches to tempt us with! :laugh:
I often wondered the very same thing ?

Reactions: CometHunter
1 - 7 of 7 Posts