WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has everyone else noticed in the last month quite a few REALLY nice watches have sold cheap. Normally I don't bother bidding in December because the prices get silly high for gifts. But lately... white Langleys, enamel Brookes, Piping Rocks, and many other desirable vintage watches have sold TOO cheap. I'm afraid in January the floor might truly drop out. HOPEFULLY there are differing opinions as I'm getting a bit nervous! :cursing::cursing::cursing:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That would seem odd, since by all indications the economy in general is getting better and people are more likely to spend a bit more. :confused1:

If it IS true, maybe the Lord Elgin I'm bidding on currently will not go out of my range. AGAIN....

·
Registered
455 Posts
Has everyone else noticed in the last month quite a few REALLY nice watches have sold cheap. Normally I don't bother bidding in December because the prices get silly high for gifts. But lately... white Langleys, enamel Brookes, Piping Rocks, and many other desirable vintage watches have sold TOO cheap. I'm afraid in January the floor might truly drop out. HOPEFULLY there are differing opinions as I'm getting a bit nervous! :cursing::cursing::cursing:
I have usually picked up a few nice items towards the end of the year. Last December, I got a very nice 14K Omega Constellation pie-pan at a jeweler for little more than gold scrap value. This year it was the Hamilton Grant for less than I've ever seen one before.

On the demand side, I think that a lot of the professional watch dealers who scour the eBay auction listings take time off during the holidays, removing some potential bidders. Also, other people might have alternative uses for discretionary funds outside of vintage watches.

On the supply side, I think some non-professional sellers are trying to raise some holiday cash. Nice items come out of the old jewelry box this time of year.

More supply and less demand generally mean lower prices. At least for awhile.

Let's see what happens when the January blizzards hit and everyone returns to their computers,
gatorcpa

PS - Fortunately, we have no such problems here! :lol:

Capture.JPG

This is across the street from my office.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, I have usually managed to pick up a few bargains at this time of year. Just nailed one BTW - not that it suits this forum :001_tt2:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I mentioned this on another forum - it's worth noting that even Hamiltons have a relatively restricted market, such that one well-heeled, indiscriminate buyer can move the market prices considerably. It works the same in reverse, if the market is small enough that just a few folks being distracted for a while can lower prices significantly at the high end.

In MY niche, when I lose an auction, it's rarely because of a bidding war. It's nearly always just one bidder who's willing to go higher than I am. But it's not the SAME bidder every time. I checked. :biggrin:

·
Registered
172 Posts
From Where I'm Sitting

I can't say I'm seeing any definitive trends in other items in the swamp. I also move bicycle components now and again. Check the number of bidders and watchers for any given item. That may be down for the holidays. I'm sitting on my stuff for a couple more weeks. That includes two watches.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Here is my little theory...

As some have noticed, there seem to be a bunch of stuff
pouring out this time of the year and I think folks are trying to raise
cash, quick for the holidays and get those out of the drawer
stuff out quick.

The BIN's (usualy dealers) are as strong as ever (at least in the Illinois world)
and the few nice ones for auction that pop up are getting LOTS of bidding action.
Maybe because I am not bidding on most of them, prices are
going for a little less than normal.:laugh:

Rick is more in touch with Hammys, but I can see it if
things are going for less here and there... a trend?
Not sure... I always buy when things dip...
They usually go back up later and I feel like I got a bargain.

My 2 cents.:001_smile:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Maybe because I am not bidding on most of them, prices are
going for a little less than normal.:laugh:
I was thinking of you when I wrote about the ability of a single well-heeled buyer to move an entire market. :biggrin:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Oooo! Getty model? Those are so cool! I had a 23j one and sold it, to my regret. Good luck!
Yes indeed-although nothing too exciting. Just the most common 21 jewel double roller bright spot pattern(an example of which I don't have). And, yes, I got it :) I ended up pay a little bit more than I would have liked, but still not too bad.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

The dial and case leave something to be desired, but the plates are in nice shape.

I too have a 23 jewel Sangamo-mine is the wavy stripe two tone with the capped 3rd wheel. I had to pay dearly for that one :)

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
There is something to be said for the kind of collection that sufficient funds can allow to be amassed. :w00t:
As I have always said... This isn't a cheap sport:biggrin:
But I tell ya, getting a bargain feels so much better than paying top dollar!

Yes indeed-although nothing too exciting. Just the most common 21 jewel double roller bright spot pattern(an example of which I don't have). And, yes, I got it :) I ended up pay a little bit more than I would have liked, but still not too bad.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
The dial and case leave something to be desired, but the plates are in nice shape.
I too have a 23 jewel Sangamo-mine is the wavy stripe two tone with the capped 3rd wheel. I had to pay dearly for that one :)
Nice Grab Ben... I love the movement!

seems like you got it for a decent price too:thumbup1:

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Buy low, sell high! It's off season now gents so grab a few bargains and sit on them. Who knows, you might just end up keeping them!

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Frankly, I hope I am VERY wrong! Where I have noticed it has been with Hamilton's. The lower to medium-priced vintage watches ($100-$500) seem to not be impacted much. What seems to have slowed is the middle to upper-mid priced vintage watches ($500 to $1250, or so). Maybe it's just a short-term oddity.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Well, I told myself I was going to take December off. But, I have put reasonable lower end bids in on items I was attracted to and, I have gotten two or three. :001_smile:

So, I have wondered if some bidders might have been taking some time off. Before, I had been getting sniped at the end with a flurry of bidding.:sneaky2: One sniping incident had included 9 bids in the last 10 seconds. Lately, there has been none of that. I put in what I was comfortable with early and it has held. So, who knows?

Hopefully, the flurry will return now that I have a couple of watches that I want to flip!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I have been on an absolute buying spree lately!

Prices are good if you hunt and find VERY good "buy it now" prices, some auctions as well.

I snatched up TWO SOLID GOLD Waltham trench watches that went for RIDICULOUSLY low prices ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

And BOTH were the bigger size 0s ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I spent more on dinner last week !

I was just dumbfounded !

On the other hand, certain other items are still going for a premium but I just HAD to have them.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts