WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I was of the impression a chronometer was a watch with stop watch functions. It seems my impressions maybe incorrect. Please define "chronometer"

2. How tight is too tight when tightening down the crown or a watch?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
That is one of the most common mistakes to make.
A chronograph literally a "time marker" is the watch with the stopwatch feature

A chronometer (or chronometre) is a very precise instrument used to mark the passage of time. They can be, but are not always, wrist watches.

Here is a typical tall ship's marine chronometer

When tightening the crown what you are doing in effect is completing its water-tight seal. The crown and stem are the watch's weakest point when it comes to water getting in and damaging the movement. As long as the gasket(s) is not damaged, just make sure the crown is nice and snug (finger-tight in car mechanic's lingo). As far as I know, there is no torque wrench for watches.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
1. I was of the impression a chronometer was a watch with stop watch functions. It seems my impressions maybe incorrect. Please define "chronometer"
Chronometer is a timekeeping device of certified accuracy.

Chronograph is a "stopwatch"

2. How tight is too tight when tightening down the crown or a watch?
Just snug - you dont need to yam on it! On higher quality watches, the logo on the crown will be "indexed" so it's straight when it's tight enough

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
bczolone said:
How high of quality? Just curious because Omega and Breitling don't. :huh:
Rolex. But I'm guessing it's all about who one thinks of high quality. Personally all of aid watches are extremely high quality but different

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is one of the most common mistakes to make.
A chronograph literally a "time marker" is the watch with the stopwatch feature

A chronometer (or chronometre) is a very precise instrument used to mark the passage of time. They can be, but are not always, wrist watches.

Here is a typical tall ship's marine chronometer

When tightening the crown what you are doing in effect is completing its water-tight seal. The crown and stem are the watch's weakest point when it comes to water getting in and damaging the movement. As long as the gasket(s) is not damaged, just make sure the crown is nice and snug (finger-tight in car mechanic's lingo). As far as I know, there is no torque wrench for watches.
Ok this begs the question...a water resistant chronograph...how do the pushers maintain the water tight seal?

Thanks in advance again

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
They have seals that work when the pusher is extended - some even have screw down locks.

There are only very very few where you can actually operate the pushers underwater.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Ok this begs the question...a water resistant chronograph...how do the pushers maintain the water tight seal?

Thanks in advance again
this is a great question, the pusher stems will be usually larger outside the case, then indexed and thinned inside the case, the pushers will then have multiple o rings and seals that make the watch tight and leak proof. I have a few water resistant chronograph models, and I have never once had a problem with any of them. this is a good question. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is a great question, the pusher stems will be usually larger outside the case, then indexed and thinned inside the case, the pushers will then have multiple o rings and seals that make the watch tight and leak proof. I have a few water resistant chronograph models, and I have never once had a problem with any of them. this is a good question. I hope this helps.
Thank you...as I take a sigh of relief.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Thank you...as I take a sigh of relief.

Hey no problem, glad I could help.

How high of quality? Just curious because Omega and Breitling don't. :huh:
Just for grins and giggles I took my super ocean and adjusted the date and time all over the map, then screwed the crown down, and the B lined up perfect, it did it three times in a row, so I'm assuming that they are indeed indexed, either that or I got freaky lucky!

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
That's ALL that happened??? When James Bond did that it activated the built-in hand grenade! :scared::lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts