1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
80 Posts
Seriously?!?

http://www.righttime.com/rt/ball/dm1020a-saj-bkgy.htm

vs.

http://www.righttime.com/rt/ball/dm1022a-sc1a-bksl.htm

Same watch, same movement, but the COSC certified model is $900 more from this AD. WOW!
Imo it would depend on your motive for buying it. If you like the style and plan on wearing and keeping the watch for a long time then the un cert would be my choice.

If you plan on reselling or something as a watch to keep not as a daily wearer then go with the cert.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, that's not the point. I am just commenting, and wondering what everyone else thinks, about a $900 charge for the COSC certification. Is that normal? That is, does it cost that much on all these other watches too? Did my Omega really only cost $1000, had it not been for the cert?

What I'm getting at here, is that a LOT of watches keep time well within COSC specifications, but don't have the cert. And of course they're more affordable. But I've never seen the comparison of two identical timepieces, one with the cert and one without. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention until now...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know about Ball watches, but I do know the company Stowa offer a COSC cert upgrade for only 177 euros on any of their automatic watches, so this quite a surprise.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
The COSC also has a pure titanium case and combination titanium/stainless steel bracelet,slightly larger in diameter with a slightly different dial (see the date window)

I'm sure these factors also figure in the pricing.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
No, that's not the point. I am just commenting, and wondering what everyone else thinks, about a $900 charge for the COSC certification. Is that normal? That is, does it cost that much on all these other watches too? Did my Omega really only cost $1000, had it not been for the cert?

What I'm getting at here, is that a LOT of watches keep time well within COSC specifications, but don't have the cert. And of course they're more affordable. But I've never seen the comparison of two identical timepieces, one with the cert and one without. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention until now...
Hello Richy240,

The EMII Diver and the EMII COSC Diver are not the same watch although they appear similar. An AD should be able to point out the difference to you. The Casing Material, Movement Grade, Size and Dial are different. The 3H TTL tubes on the COSC Diver are super-lumed T100 rated while I believe the EMII Diver has the T25 TTL tubes.

When you check them at an AD and try them out on your wrist, you could tell the obvious difference. All the best.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Certainly the cost difference between the two watches is not all due to COSC certification. In any event, a good watchmaker can adjust a non-COSC movement, although not always to COSC specs. I have a TXL Tissot that ran 20 seconds fast out of the box. My watchmaker adjusted it under warranty and it now runs to COSC specs - about 3 seconds per day fast. I understand the usual cost for adjustment is approximately $50.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Those are all good points that I didn't notice, as I was unable to find the COSC specs on the Ball web site - or even the watch itself.

I see the where the extra $900 is going now, and it seems like it would be well spent. Now I just have to save my pennies until I can afford it! But thanks to foghorn above, I notice that I really don't like the certified model as much. The non-COSC is more attractive to me physically.

I guess I was just focusing on the internal rotating bezel, and didn't really notice the differences in the face, etc. I guess I won't really know whether I like it or not, for sure, until I see it in person at an AD.

THANKS!

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
BTW, Ball's non-COSC watched, according to Jeremy in the archive, are +/- 10 seconds a day. Really not that much difference between the COSC version.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A quick breakdown

Seriously?!?

http://www.righttime.com/rt/ball/dm1020a-saj-bkgy.htm

vs.

http://www.righttime.com/rt/ball/dm1022a-sc1a-bksl.htm

Same watch, same movement, but the COSC certified model is $900 more from this AD. WOW!
Here's a quick listing of the modifications the Diver Chronometer boasts over the original Diver.

DM1020A:
1. 42mm stainless steel case with S/S bracelet or rubber strap.
2. 53 micro gas tubes
3. T25 rating
4. ETA 2836 movement

DM1022A:
1. 44mm Titanium case with titanium and S/S bracelet or improved rubber strap.
2. 61 micro gas tubes, including double-sized tubes at all hour markers.
3. T100 rating (brighter dial)
4. 2836 Chronometer movement.

So to sum it up, new watch case, more accurate movement, improved watchband options, and brighter & more legible dial.

Regards,
Jeremy

oops, just saw that bullosa already summed up everything in another post. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,743 Posts
No, I can certainly live with 10 seconds.
LMAO! Not at you. My watch geek in training Mrs. Boscoe insisted I get her watch regulated when it was running +10 seconds a day. Drove her nuts by the end of the week.
I'd live with it too. Of course, I change watches daily so it's no biggie.
But she's in love with her Burett auto and wears it constantly, basically ignoring some very nice (and I might add very expensive) quartz pieces.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts