WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it's been a little slow on the forum lately... :001_tongue:

What does everyone think of Corfam straps? I recently picked up a simple G/F 218 (pretty much like one I already have) because it was inexpensive, dial was a little better, and this one doesn't have an engraved back.

I didn't know the strap was Corfam. I knew it was a synthetic leather but I was unprepared for now relatively nice it is. Even after this long it's supple, looks good (IMO), pretty nice. I know yes, it's "fake" and all but I'd be interested to know if anyone has a strong opinion one way or another about the material.

Here it is...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I have a few of them and generally like them. They were original issue on some Accutrons, I believe, and certainly ”period” to accessorize our Accutrons.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
That's hard to say as it was only introduced in 1963; the jury's still out on its longevity. Basically, Corfam is nothing more than a covering of plastic on a base layer of polyester, much like gold or silver plated base metal.
Treat it as you would any item of plastic clothing. If you have to, clean it with a mild soap on a damp cloth. More importantly, limit its exposure to UV light, as ultra-violet radiation can ruin virtually ANY plastic over time. And as mostly all plastics get brittle and crack over time, I imagine Corfam is going to do so as well.

And for the record:
I don't think about Corfam straps, good or bad, one way or the other!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think the watch band looks amazing. What I really like is the depth of the markings on the band. It really makes the band stand out. I also like the looks of the 218. Simple but elegant.

·
Registered
434 Posts
As Comethunter has stated, plastic products are going to degrade over time, a vintage watch band is nothing more than an antique that really should not be trusted as a strap for daily wear, just like you would not trust your expensive watch with the cheapest spring bars.

This is my recent experiance, you all know the Swiss Spaceview I just bought, the day I received it I wore it all day in town shopping, as I was walking across the parking lot I felt the watch slipping off my wrist, like a ninja with my right hand I swooped the watch in mid air before it hit the asphalt, close call.

I don't know if this band is corfam, but i am guessing it's a vintage man made product that has degraded and is no longer reliable.

IMG_2590.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I purchased a pristine 219 a few years ago with its original Corfam strap and in the original case. The watch is a Chrysler Corp presentation watch for,outstanding service and, according to the son, was never worn but was stored in a desk in a damp environment. The SS case was not affected but the strap had literally dissolved. Never expected that from Corfam.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I happen to like Corfam straps quite a bit. I like the slightly (usually) shiny finish in the smooth leather versions, and the suede type ones are nice as well. I have several, and I usually place them on my nicer dress pieces, like a 14kt gold case model. I've found them to be durable so far. Look up the Wikipedia entry about Corfam, you'll find it an interesting read.

Eric

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I happen to like Corfam straps quite a bit. I like the slightly (usually) shiny finish in the smooth leather versions, and the suede type ones are nice as well. I have several, and I usually place them on my nicer dress pieces, like a 14kt gold case model. I've found them to be durable so far. Look up the Wikipedia entry about Corfam, you'll find it an interesting read.

Eric
Yeah, I have no idea how old this one is (well, it has to be what 40-45 years old right?) but it's quite solid and in really nice shape.

I agree with Eric, the shiny is nice (like in my OP above). I might have to look at a suede example at some point.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey, I own one corfam strap that was given to me as a gift and I really liked it at first, I wore it for a few months it was not as nice as yours, it was really thin and I kind of grew not to like it very much, that's not to say your does not look nice, it does, and it gives a different look to the watch. I am just really into natural products like gold, silver, stainless, leather, diamonds, wood. I still have the corfam strap on one of my watches and always like variety, but as time goes on you might change your mind about corfam. I know that somethings I first liked because it was new, then my mind changed, I just bought a watch last week and now I'm thinking to myself why in the heck did I buy that, oh well that's what's fun about trying different things right.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Wow Catman, that was a good save on that spaceview! My Sputnick didn't fare as well, had a relatively new china leather strap on and it broke as well, I posted pics several months back. At least it happened in my shop and it hit the concrete floor resulting in a small scratch on what was a perfect Sputnik case, but it least it wasn't on the highway on a motorcycle. But of course the moral to the story is be very careful what you fix your nice watch to your wrist with! For me, I'll carefully inspect any strap that goes on and use only high quality SS spring bars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have few and I like to wear them, I dont know from where you bought it so I dont know about the quality whether its original or not, well I bought my one from Reecoupons.com, and they give original watch in a quite cheap rate, in fact they work 2 to 3 years without any problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts