WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about this watch for a couple of months now... I really liked it but after researching it online for a while now there are a few things that are putting me off... First and foremost is Hamilton's Quality Control. There's a long line of comments I've read on the web about things that may have "slipped past" and made it to the market.

Here is a photo of two Khaki Pilots, one has two 55's and one has two 35's.. come on now, really???... that's the kind of thing you expect from an knock-off replica company. I've also heard comments about the strap being cheap and flaking and another comment about the lume not being even all over the indices.

The other thing that really has me put off is that Pilot watches are supposed to have an Upward pointing arrow, my understanding is that it's purpose is to indicate upward orientation of the dial during night flight yet this design has a downward pointing "dive watch" arrow.... How did that get past the design approval stage?

I do like the watch but quality control is and the lack of inauthenticity regarding pilot watch design has me second guessing.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am not a expert on Pilot watches.. but I do like the modern "hammys"! Think great value for the $$$!

Sure others with more experience will chime in. Good luck with your decision!

Best

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
those QC issues sure have me perplexed. How could those have passed either a semi-conscious human or a computer that had been turned on?

The Pilot doesn't do it for me unfortunately. The size is just too much for my vintage wrist to appreciate. I've got a Laco flieger that i bought some years ago and I don't wear it very often due to the size (Unitas 6498).

I'm with Bob however, the Viewmatic in a 40/42 mm size (you can get 37 to 44mm), RG with Black dial would rock if that's what you're looking for. If you've been looking at a Pilot I suspect thats not the case tho'.

If it's the "sporty big" watch thingy that you're looking for I'd look at the Khaki Navy watches. Still too big for me but not that "faux" pilot thing that you're having problems with.

don't forget to keep us updated on your decision.

cheers,

Sean

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
If you want a Chinese movement, then I guess the Hamilton is as good as any because they ALL use the efficiently cheap ETA movements, and the Hamiltons are priced to be a better value than most others. Beyond that, I can't convince myself to buy one so I sure can't convince you to do so.

·
Banned
219 Posts
I have a handful of current Hamilton's and am pleased with all of them. I'm not sure about where the Hamilton's with these dials were purchased... perhaps they are replicas. However, you're right regarding the orientation of the arrow on the dial.

I am a big fan of this RGM Aircraft (The arrow's pointing down on this model as well but not as noticeable)

Definitely inspired by the Hamilton 37500 elapsed time clock.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
I have a handful of current Hamilton's and am pleased with all of them. I'm not sure about where the Hamilton's with these dials were purchased... perhaps they are replicas. However, you're right regarding the orientation of the arrow on the dial.

I am a big fan of this RGM Aircraft (The arrow's pointing down on this model as well but not as noticeable)

Definitely inspired by the Hamilton 37500 elapsed time clock.

Good call! I kinda like their Model 22 for the same reason... but PLEASE, they need to make a rectangular watch!

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Maybe it was originally for the Australian market? :lol: (Getting coat.)

You know - I doubt if there has been any Australian ever in history that referred to the smallest continent as "The Land Down Under". It's a figment of the Merkan imagination.

And while dealing with urban myths and other untruths - we don't drink Fosters. It's rubbish so we sell it to the Poms; they love it. But mind you anything is better than their woeful brewed offerings.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
You know - I doubt if there has been any Australian ever in history that referred to the smallest continent as "The Land Down Under". It's a figment of the Merkan imagination.

And while dealing with urban myths and other untruths - we don't drink Fosters. It's rubbish so we sell it to the Poms; they love it. But mind you anything is better than their woeful brewed offerings.
I hate to say it, but these days Australia is not even taught to school kids as being a continent... though, in reality, such terms like continent are really just a convention of convenience and not a true geographic description anyway... as otherwise Asia and Europe would be a combined continent. Somewhere I have a world map with Australia in the middle and the entire southern hemisphere on top. :thumbup1:

·
Banned
219 Posts

What about Men At Work?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
What about Men At Work?
Colin Hay, lead singer of the band and the guy who wrote the song "Down Under" is a Scot; ie a pom with a funny accent. Tune and lyrics no doubt influenced by the consumption of too much Fosters.

Refer previous post.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I hate to say it, but these days Australia is not even taught to school kids as being a continent... though, in reality, such terms like continent are really just a convention of convenience and not a true geographic description anyway... as otherwise Asia and Europe would be a combined continent. Somewhere I have a world map with Australia in the middle and the entire southern hemisphere on top. :thumbup1:
Rick - not sure you should be using the US geography curriculum as a benchmark for wisdom or learning. Don't know if you've been told, but the geographic skills of the average USn are something that cause much mirth elsewhere in the world. :wink: More than once I've been asked by some of your countrymen if Australia was that place with lots of snow and famous for its ski resorts. Well, despite there being more area under snow than Switzerland in Australia the Kitzbuhel and Innsbruck aren't here....

Perhaps we should remove any confusion by elbowing Greenland aside and simply referring to The Capital Of The Universe as the world's largest island?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I didn't hear. Has it been demoted to a dwarf continent, like Pluto is a dwarf planet now?

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Rick - not sure you should be using the US geography curriculum as a benchmark for wisdom or learning. Don't know if you've been told, but the geographic skills of the average USn are something that cause much mirth elsewhere in the world. :wink: More than once I've been asked by some of your countrymen if Australia was that place with lots of snow and famous for its ski resorts. Well, despite there being more area under snow than Switzerland in Australia the Kitzbuhel and Innsbruck aren't here....

Perhaps we should remove any confusion by elbowing Greenland aside and simply referring to The Capital Of The Universe as the world's largest island?
Actually, I first heard of this about a decade ago from a senior cartographer at the Australian Geographic Survey (AGSO). Some schools of thought are now using plate techtonics (and combinations thereof) instead of the popular historical convention of continents, and this is part of that. If memory serves, many around the world (but NOT most in the US, as far as I know) are learning of Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, and I THINK all the way to French Polynesia as one geographic 'element'. Alas, I'm also still a bit stuck on the concept of the new age Southern Ocean. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need to weigh in here....

Hammy Grey Face.jpg Hammy on wrist 1.jpg Hammy Grey Face.jpg Hammy on wrist 1.jpg

I LOVE my Khaki pilot. I own two hammys, this one, and the Limited Edition Pan Europ. I HIGHLY Recommend either if you can grab one. I have not heard of or had any QC issues, and my experience has been exceptional with the brand. If your looking at these right now, Pass on the black face model and grab the hard to find gun metal grey dial. THIS thing is sexy. This has brushed metal numbers and a sweeping second hand. Not sure about the comment posted on this having a cheap chinese movement?!?, this is all swiss. check ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse
See under Mecaline for the 2836-2 movement. Its super accurate, reliable and proven. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy another one. It has an exhibition case back so you can see the movement and rotor. I picked mine up from Amazon.com for like $650.00 bucks which is a steal.
It came with a Hamilton croc embossed light tan leather strap with dual prongs. It was very nice, but too short for my wrist. So I had Texas Strap Company make me the Lone Star Strap you see on it now. It is super sweet, and looks very vintage to me.
From my understanding from other forum reviewers on other boards, the upside down arrow is intentional and specific to this design for Hamilton. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I like it, and it has grown on me. If you get the Black face, I recommend the black leather "Picos" strap from Chris: TexasStrapCo.com — Collection
Goods luck!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Actually, I first heard of this about a decade ago from a senior cartographer at the Australian Geographic Survey (AGSO). Some schools of thought are now using plate techtonics (and combinations thereof) instead of the popular historical convention of continents, and this is part of that. If memory serves, many around the world (but NOT most in the US, as far as I know) are learning of Australia, New Zealand, Indonesia, and I THINK all the way to French Polynesia as one geographic 'element'. Alas, I'm also still a bit stuck on the concept of the new age Southern Ocean. :lol:
I would hate to live on an element. Sounds entirely too small.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
View attachment 28452 View attachment 28453 View attachment 28452 View attachment 28453

I LOVE my Khaki pilot. I own two hammys, this one, and the Limited Edition Pan Europ. I HIGHLY Recommend either if you can grab one. I have not heard of or had any QC issues, and my experience has been exceptional with the brand. If your looking at these right now, Pass on the black face model and grab the hard to find gun metal grey dial. THIS thing is sexy. This has brushed metal numbers and a sweeping second hand. Not sure about the comment posted on this having a cheap chinese movement?!?, this is all swiss. check ETA SA Manufacture Horlogère Suisse
See under Mecaline for the 2836-2 movement. Its super accurate, reliable and proven. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy another one. It has an exhibition case back so you can see the movement and rotor. I picked mine up from Amazon.com for like $650.00 bucks which is a steal.
It came with a Hamilton croc embossed light tan leather strap with dual prongs. It was very nice, but too short for my wrist. So I had Texas Strap Company make me the Lone Star Strap you see on it now. It is super sweet, and looks very vintage to me.
From my understanding from other forum reviewers on other boards, the upside down arrow is intentional and specific to this design for Hamilton. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I like it, and it has grown on me. If you get the Black face, I recommend the black leather "Picos" strap from Chris: TexasStrapCo.com — Collection
Goods luck!
Very nice! But, is it really possible for Swatch to make ETA movements and cases entirely at Swiss wages with the ability to sell them to a reseller who can still sell them for $650 retail? They are doubling their money at every step along the supply channel, and there there does not seem to be enough margin $ there to sell a Swiss-made ETA for these prices. While I am NOT a fan of Chinese watches, I have been travelling to China for 20 years (34 trips if memory serves, but less lately) for the Canton Fair and various trade shows...and I've seen far too many cheap watches on the streets of Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai, and Taipei with seemingly legit ETA 2824, 2892, and other movements inside to believe that they all got there from Europe. I have heard that ETA has now closed their Asian factories, but I have no idea if that is true or not, and perhaps the existence of such a factory is merely a myth? I have also heard that ETA at one time sold TONS of their ebauches to dealers in Hong Kong, supposedly now also stopped but their inventory remains, so that is also a possibility?

I once had a long conversation with a high-end shoe designer for a well known brand. He told me that they had recently fired a vendor who had set-up an EXACT duplicate factory in the legit factories' basement making PERFECT copies made with the EXACT same parts and materials as in the originals (leather and eyelets included) and even using the SAME employees. From this I have learned that when a high-end product is made in Asia, to pay high-end prices is unnecessary. (Though, getting the same ETA in a Hammy for $650 while another brand might have the same basic movement for $3000-$5000 is rather smart!! :thumbup1:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm... doesn't seem to be a heckuva a lot of support for the Pilot... Don't know that I'll be looking all that much further into it but if I happen across an AD I'll probably go in and try one one to see it up close but for the most part it looks like the Khaki Pilot seems to have been a Fail...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts