WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my original 218 that I'm having cleaned & lubed. I want to keep that one original.

I also picked up, floating on the Bay, three watches in a batch one of which is a 218 (2180 no day or date) and isshown herein. They were $35 and the other two are like new and the Pulsar is gorgeous! The Sharp is very nice ... anyway ....

I would like a spaceview and was pondering converting the second 218. But I have some number of questions:
- Are there chapter rings for the 218?
- Are there Spaceview crystals that fit the 218 (about 31.4mm crystal diameter)
- are there spacers (in place of the dial) for the 218 and what are their sizes or numbers?
- Are there any writeup about converting the 218 to a spaceview?

I know that some have cut away the original dial but this dial has large numbers that I don't think would look right.

Any help is appreciated.

Of course I could sell the second 218 & buy a spaceview ... but that is the easy route:)

Thanks,
Nick

1/t ... once upon a time ...

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have my original 218 that I'm having cleaned & lubed. I want to keep that one original.

I also picked up, floating on the Bay, three watches in a batch one of which is a 218 (2180 no day or date) and isshown herein. They were $35 and the other two are like new and the Pulsar is gorgeous! The Sharp is very nice ... anyway ....

I would like a spaceview and was pondering converting the second 218. But I have some number of questions:
- Are there chapter rings for the 218?
- Are there Spaceview crystals that fit the 218 (about 31.4mm crystal diameter)
- are there spacers (in place of the dial) for the 218 and what are their sizes or numbers?
- Are there any writeup about converting the 218 to a spaceview?

I know that some have cut away the original dial but this dial has large numbers that I don't think would look right.

Any help is appreciated.

Of course I could sell the second 218 & buy a spaceview ... but that is the easy route:)

Thanks,
Nick

1/t ... once upon a time ...
If you want a Spaceview then buy one. If you want a cobbled together mess then go ahead and devalue that 218, you might even get lucky and find some 214 parts that can be made to work. If you can find a watchmaker to do the work. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I don't know about a chapter ring that might work or a spacer or crystal but I pretty much agree with Accutron, you're gonna end up with a cobbled up mess. The only 218 Spaceviews I've seen just had the center cut out of the dial and, to my eye, they were pretty ugly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Devalue it? I figure I could put $175 into restoring it including new crystal and hands and have a watch I could sell for $150 less eBay's 10% fees. Or I could convert it on my own for fun.

But I think I found a better reason why not convert it to a space view and that is that the 218 movements are not as "attractive" or "interesting" to look at as the 214.

Here is a photo of a 218 spaceview conversion:
COnverted 218 spaceview.jpg

I found this picture from some watch shop in Europe and don't recall where.

Regardless, I can see why they added the bridge to the 218 Spaceviews. It makes it less plain.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
That watch is a new one on me, never seen it before and I guess it answers some of your questions. Looks to me like the builder might have left just enough of the dial as a spacer, then it's just a matter of finding a crystal. some will criticize making a watch non original but I say it's yours to do with as you see fit. Good luck !
I'd sure like to see it when you're done with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts