WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, let me introduce myself, I enjoy going to flea markets and antique stores and collecting straight razors, I am an active member on straight razor place forums, in all my searching high and low, I occasionally find other types of items. Some I sell to pay for more razors, some I keep.

I found this little puppy at a flea market Sunday. I noticed Bulova logo and new I would buy it for the $1.00. but as I was paying, a guy walks up and asks to see it. Then hands it back and says, "nice little conversion you found". Which led me to think I might have something special.... Little did I kow.

After about an hour of reading up on this and other forums/web sites. I have gathered that this is a 1970. Conversion, It needs a battery. (I hope that's why it doesn't run). I am wondering if I should pay to have a new crystal put in. And a proper partial restore done with a local, Or should I just list it as is, with a BiN. Or auction. Seems these can go for some high prices but knowing collectibles condition is everything, and I am thinking mine is not all that.

Any information you would be willing to provide would be great. I plan on hanging out and doing more reading, as I always love to learn.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Actually, your watch is not a true Spaceview but rather just a 214 without a dial. It could be worth the price of a battery though. Similar watches with a running movements recently sold at auction for $147.50 and $213.50. As is, I would estimate the value at $50.00 more or less. The cost of repair with a new crystal is seldom justified unless you plan to keep the watch.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
What Sam said, he's the man. I will add only that the battery you need is the 387s readily available just about anywhere.
What I really want to know is whether you shave with a straight razor ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you all for the help.

@skypilot, yes of course I shave with straight razors, it is simply amazing to do shave with a 150 year old piece of steel. using techniques my own grandfather had used.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The case number is correct for a Spaceview, that just isn't a Spaceview crystal. The correct crystal is # A1270EW. It appears to me that the hands have the correct shape but that the lume has been knocked out of or off of them. There are some very good aftermarket hands available, I have used them in my Spaceview that is in an A2528 case.
You have a very nice watch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh, that sounds promising, as soon as I get a battery and make sure it works, I see a restore in my horizon,

Off to ebay to look at parts, or do you have a better suggestion?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The case number is correct for a Spaceview, that just isn't a Spaceview crystal. The correct crystal is # A1270EW. It appears to me that the hands have the correct shape but that the lume has been knocked out of or off of them. There are some very good aftermarket hands available, I have used them in my Spaceview that is in an A2528 case.
You have a very nice watch.
Skypilot,
I thought that the A1270EW crystal was for a chapter ring Spaceview Models "G" or "S" with case #2528.
If not, I need to change my notes.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Sidmind,
You should have purchased a lottery ticket the day you found the watch. Finding a case with a known Spaceview number rare indeed and it adds considerably to the value. A restoration to factory condition seems to be in order but requires the correct Bulova made crystal and hands if possible. Clark hands are well made replicas but Accutron aficionados know the difference. Some of the Bulova crystals had luminous dots but the Clark crystals do not. To find the correct crystal, it would help to have an accurate metric measurement of the diameter.
From your photos, the 2-wire 2140 base model movement looks to be correct for a watch made in 1970 but you should also look on the back side of the movement for a date code. Some but not all movements are dated and one dated within a year of the case is a good indication that it is original.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You may be right about the crystal SAM2 ? The list I have by Martin Marcus says a case # 2528 Spaceview takes a 1270AWS while the list I have by IFIXTIMEMACHINES.COM says a case # 2528 takes a A1270EW and is a Spaceview G.
I wonder what the difference is between a 2528 and an A2528 ?
I think it has occurred to all of us that casebacks, where the case numbers, are interchangeable from case to case.
What's a poor Accutron collector to do ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, that is good news. I will take it apart again tonight and take some photos, and post.

I have pretty good luck at the flea markets, thrift stores, garage sales ect. when I first got into collecting straight razors, I found a mint c-mon stainless. Razor that I paid a few bucks for and sold for 300 a year later. Guys on the forums said I won the lottery then also. A few months ago I found a vintage razor hone. I sold for 450 paid.... $2.00

This one I think I will do the same. Restore it, keep it a few years then sell it after I enjoy it. In 1.5 years I get my 25 year Rolex from work. Which the excitement of that has got me interested in watches.

This gets me excited.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

As you can see the top of the brass has N2 = case is 1970 and guts are 1972 .hmmmm. More questions than answers.
Also the crystal measured while in the watch. So I am not sure if the measurement is suppose to be while its removed?
Is 1.249 inches or 31.724mm. With my Cheepo dial calipers.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
"More questions than answers." Always! That is the way it is with Accutron watches.

It looks like crystal A1270EW 32.7mm would be the best possibility for case #2528.
That would make the watch in question a Spaceview "G" but if so, what happened to the chapter ring?

I can't read it but that looks like a service date scratched into the case to the left of the case number.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have an update: and it's great news.

I went to a local jewelry store that was around from before I was born.
Lucky for me the owner (Mr. Bullord) was in, he was the first to talk to me as I asked for a 387s battery, then mentioned an accutron. He had exactly what I needed, then I showed him my watch. His eyes light up and made a comment about "those bring a pretty penny"

We then spent the next 30 minutes talking about Bulova watches and his training, I learned that his instructor was one of the first certified Bulova techs, and he was in one of the first bulova tech classes at a school in Oklahoma, I believe he said it was the early/mid 60's. he also told me about how he has a box of old Bulova parts in the basement, with coils, gaskets and chapter rings. Along with the skill and equipment such as phase testers, power supplies and dealer items.

I heard stories about his watch makers lathe, that he purchased in 1965 for $125.00 while getting his certificate and how he used carpet needles to make watch parts, the other students came to him to make the parts and the instructor was amazed at his high quality of work, the lesson was supposed to be about how to take raw iron pins. Machine them into parts(pins, screws, ect) , then heat treat over an alcohol flame until cherry red, dip in water, at that point the parts were brittle and would shatter if you tapped them on the edge of a table. Next is to heat them again slowly to a blue color and let air cool(tempering) . The instructor was teaching the students this technique while Mr. Bullard was excelling at it, little did the instructor know he was cheating and using carpet needles, this way they could be machined and turned into a finished product of higher quality than what the teacher could produce. Apparently the instructor was not pleased for lack of following directions but very pleased that the student developed a method that worked better, faster and easier than previously known. That was the short version of a 10 minute story about using his lathe.

So back to my watch, It is running but a little jumpy and stopping at times. He expressed I should let it sit for a few days and let the oil loosen up. and that it is self cleaning, so should be just fine, I also gave him my number, he said when he gets time he will look in his box-o-parts and see what he can come up with. Also he would be glad to repaint and fill the hands with luminescent. It's also a very big chance that he is the one who worked on the watch when it was serviced. This is small town Oklahoma after all.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I've never heard of an Accutron being self cleaning but there is a lot I don't know. Having one be jumpy and stop at times would make me very nervous.
Small town living has it's advantages. A friend about 2 hours south of me takes his watches to an old jeweler who cleans and lubricates them for $10 apiece. The repairman to whom I send most of my Accutrons has a jewelry store in a town of about 3500 people so it doesn't support him very well. In the winter he works as a ski instructor, yes we do ski in Iowa. He can be a little slow in the winter, he's had my current watch since December, but I have never ever had a problem with one when I got it back and his prices are -- acceptable.
Congrats on having it running. What do you think of that hum ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Sam2. Been reading all day, I have yet to find out what a spaceview "G". Is. I have seen B

Being that I found it locally, and found a local Certified Bulova repair technician. My "guess" Is he could have repaired back in 72 at least that seems logical and add some wishful thinking.

When I go back. I will be asking him about the service markings. Looks like an "11" to me or possibly a letter "D". I will see what he says about that next time I go in.

After only a few hours with a fresh battery it does seem to be running much better. I am wearing it right now. The hum is very interesting. Much different than the tick of my Seiko.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.