WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Make no bones about it ... I love my M23 ... I mean ... I LUUUUV my M23! However, I have this continuing problem that is beginning to frustrate me. I purchased my M23 this past Spring and the first time I tried to set the date the entire winding stem came out in my hand. I sent it back to Lum Tec where it was promptly repaired and returned to me.

A few weeks later, the very next time I attempted to set the time/date, the darn winding stem came out in my hand again. I sent it back to LT and, once again, they repaired it and returned it to me within a couple of days. Since this was the second winding stem problem, I was a little gun shy about setting the time/date, so my M23 spent a great deal of time in my watch winder.

A few weeks later, when I attemted to set the time/date, CRAP .... it happened again. The winding stem pulled all the way out, into my hand. I sent it back to LT and they were a little more detailed about the repair this time and, as always, returned my watch to me in record time.

Fast forward to today, I wore my M23 to church where I noticed that the date was one day off (due to September having only 30 days). I took my watch off and, EVER SO GENTLY, pulled on the winding stem to set the date when, DAGNABBIT, the darn thing came out in my hand yet again! This is the FOURTH time!

I have no idea about how winding stems are attached inside the watch, but something is definitely not right. I've owned automatic watches since 1966 and have never had a problem like this. I am not being rough at all with the M23, in fact, I'm one of those guys that babies ALL my watches like a mother hen.

I had planned on wearing my M23 to the Gathering in Atlanta on Saturday, so I think I will keep the M23 in my winder until then, and send it in for repair the week following the Gathering.

I was curious if any of you are having winding stem problems with your M23 (or any similar M-Tungsten). If so, I sure would like to hear about it and find out what was finally done to fix the problem.

Hey ... all watch problems aside ... I hope to see a good number of you at the Atlanta Gathering on October 13th. I PROMISE you will not regret attending!

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had exactly the same problem with my M23 and my M7, the M23 within a couple of weeks of getting it, was sent back, returned and so far no re-occurance. My M7 has been back twice in the two years I've had it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are un screwing the crown first correct?
Of course!

Step #1 ... unscrew crown
Step #2 ... very lightly pull on crown to middle position for date
Step #3 ... crown pulls all the way out and into my hand with absolutely ZERO resistance

There is obviously a problem somewhere in the winding stem internal connection.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Sorry you are having the problem. I know Chris will take care of it when you send it in.

Looking forward to seeing you next Saturday at our GTG. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hmm, well mine hasn't come out on my M24, but just recently when I went to wind it all it will do is ratchet. I can set date/time fine, but can not wind it. Put it on my winder and no luck. So tried "winding" it via working the weight by spinning in in your hand, can hear something going on with the weight but it feels strange? It will run just for a few hours then dead, even wearing all day.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
So odd. I've never had an issue with any of my automatic Lum-Tec's, or any other automatic watch like that. Maybe you just got a lemon..? You know Chris will make it right no matter what it takes. Sorry that you've had this problem though. I understand your frustration!

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Please send that watch in and we will install a fresh new movement. Sounds like it has a defective keyless works. Probably a flaw we cannot see. Bent lever or something. Its hard because often when we do a repair, we cannot duplicate the issue and all tests fine. So the safest bet is to replace the movement.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please send that watch in and we will install a fresh new movement. Sounds like it has a defective keyless works. Probably a flaw we cannot see. Bent lever or something. Its hard because often when we do a repair, we cannot duplicate the issue and all tests fine. So the safest bet is to replace the movement.
Thanks, Chris!

I believe you are correct .... a fresh new movement might just do the trick!

I will drop it in the mail to you on the Monday after the Atlanta Gathering. The M23 will be my Show-and-Tell watch for that event.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Another classy move by Chris! This is why I love LumTec! To be sure, knock on wood, I have not ha a mechanical watch do this. Once I had a quartz Swiss Army do this and it stayed broken!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want just give it to Bill and he can send it back with our display watches.
Thanks, Chris .... I might do exactly that! I'll make sure to download the service/repair form and take it with me to the Gathering.

As always, I am very appreciative of your thoughtfulness and stellar service.

I look forward to seeing the LT eye candy Bill will be bringing to the show!

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
618 Posts
I ran over my M25 with my pickup truck. I sent it in to Chris with a note saying that it broke while I was wearing it and demanded that he fix it under warranty. He fixed it, but then sent some knee-cappers to my apartment to teach me a lesson. :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Movement

I would probably request that they install a new movement. This should not be a difficult repair for them. Either they are not conscientious or the movement has something so subtly wrong with it that the problem will keep occuring. The movement would cost me or you a little less than $200, and is probably even less for them.

I would phone them and ask about the possibility of getting the movement replaced.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
I would probably request that they install a new movement. This should not be a difficult repair for them. Either they are not conscientious or the movement has something so subtly wrong with it that the problem will keep occuring. The movement would cost me or you a little less than $200, and is probably even less for them.

I would phone them and ask about the possibility of getting the movement replaced.

Jeff

Two small tips for you going forward Jeff:
1) Read what has been written in a thread before you make comment.
2) Don't advertise in Watch Talk Forums unless you are a paid sponsor or you will get banned.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
OkeefenokeeJoe, sad to hear the problems you're been having with your M23 though I'm sure the new movement will cure this for you and at least no cost is incurred to your good self unlike what happened to me with my Nite watch. On returning from holidays I noticed it was stopping and starting (Quartz movement), I took that as a battery issue and call into the quality jewellers in the town who replaced the battery, sad to say the problem continued and on ringing Nite they informed me that I had now voided my 2 yr warranty and the repair would cost £45........ nice of them to care. :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OkeefenokeeJoe, sad to hear the problems you're been having with your M23 though I'm sure the new movement will cure this for you and at least no cost is incurred to your good self unlike what happened to me with my Nite watch. On returning from holidays I noticed it was stopping and starting (Quartz movement), I took that as a battery issue and call into the quality jewellers in the town who replaced the battery, sad to say the problem continued and on ringing Nite they informed me that I had now voided my 2 yr warranty and the repair would cost £45........ nice of them to care. :eek:hmy:
That's the GREAT thing about Chris and staff at LT .... they always take care of the problem, no questions asked, and do it in warp-speed time. Customer Service at a level previously unheard of in this universe!

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
88 Posts
At this point, with multiple fixes and failures; you should demand a new watch as replacement. Obviously another fix isn't going to work.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.