WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the Omega forum. What is the difference between the Constellation and the Double Eagle? Most of the treads here are about the Seamaster, etc.
I am looking for a dress watch.
thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi seandavid, welcome to the forums. I'm a newbie myself and the Double Eagle is my first Omega. I'm only a WIS in training but I can get the ball rolling with some general info while the real WIS provide the nitty gritty.

The Constellation prior to the Constellation Double Eagle was available in quartz (1532), mechanical (1120) and perpetual calendar (?). The Double Eagle was offered in Perpetual Calendar (1680 thermocompensated) and the newer mechanical Co-Axial Escapement (2500) only.

I'll have to abstain from the Chronographs, maybe someone can jump in and fill in the blanks there.

The Double Eagle was also offered in a larger mens size option of 39mm and midsize 35mm, as opposed to the largest size of the prior Constellation mens size of 35mm.

The last redesign of the Constellation line prior to the Double Eagle was with the Manhattan model many years back. Otherwise it has remained largely unchanged. Until now.

The new design Double Eagle is a love it or hate it choice among Omega followers, particularly Constellation fans. The most flattering comment I've read regarding the Double Eagle design is that it shares a similar controversy to the PloProf. You wouldn't have bought one because you thought it was ugly when it was new. And this may be precisely why these models turn out to be the classic must haves a few decades later due to their commercially low profile during their time.

I hope this was helpful.

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Hello Sean

Good to have you join us here at WTF and OMEGALand.

The Connie and Connie Double Eagle are described in the " Watch of The Day " Archives in our resource section of the Omega Forum.

As SP says, the Connie was powered by the cal 1120 and there were the quartz, perpetual calendar and mechanical chronograph versions too, the latter is really quite a dishy-looking number.

The DE comes in Co-Axial versions for both chronometer and chronograph and there is a quartz and perpetual calendar model to back up the range.

If you're looking for a dress-style watch you could also consider the De Villes of which there is again a section in the archives.

As always, please do feel free to inquire further. As you know we talk watches all the time :001_smile:

Be well now

ZIN

1 - 3 of 3 Posts