WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Newbie here with a typical newbie question. Could someone tell me what I need to look for, and what I should be paying, for a vintage Longines Power Reserve watch please? For the first time in my life I have got a few quid to spend, courtesy of my mum, on a decent watch and have come to the conclusion that this is the one I need. There is one for sale on ebay at the moment here:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Is this a good example? With so few around its hard to find something to compare it against.

I don't need to tell you that I know nothing about vintage watches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Peter

I tried to post the same question earlier today but the post doesn't seem to have appeared. Apologies if its gone somewhere it shouldn't have!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
Hi Peter. $1400 is way too much for a refinished dial. This is what it should look like:

That would be a good price if it were the original finish on the dial. Maybe David (member Jacquot) will see this and share his. He got a good deal on a nearly identical correct watch just like the one you like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply ulackfocus. But I am now a little confused! Would I be right in thinking that your picture shows the gold plated version? Would the dial on this be different to the one on ebay? The reason I ask is that a guy from Germany has already asked if the dial is original and been told it is. Confused of Timperley.

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
This is where you get into eBay semantics. To a collector, and original dial includes the original finish and text. A seller can legally say it's an "original dial" if the round piece of metal is the one that came with the watch despite it having a poor repaint. The dial of ALL Conquest Power Resrves should look the same regardless of what metal the case is made of. The watch I posted is a solid gold model the very early 60's. Here's a stainless version from about 1966-ish:

And an ad from 1959 depicting the same watch:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just saw this today. Yes, I was lucky to find one from a seller on one of the forums a couple of years ago for about half the cost of that watch. It was not in perfect condition, but very good, and all original, and I did pay for a service--which I always have done with a vintage watch. Dennis was very kind to give me an assessment before I made the purchase. That said it was also the last time I saw one (not looking on Ebay, however). I'll attach a file from the listing when I got it, and the dial cleaned up nicely, too. I do not have the watch right now to take another photo but could in a week or so. I sent it to a different watchmaker for a tune up of the power reserve function. It is a great watch!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts