WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

That is astounding.......I mean I like them, but over a grand with 2 days to go :scared:

I've noticed they are becoming highly prized. Digitals/LCDs of any brand have always been overlooked.

Blokes my age (46) who were impressionable when they were big are now getting nostalgic.......

P.S - leave my ebay account alone please.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I admit to interest in them also but can't justify the price. If an Accutron mvt. goes south, you can always repair it. Not with those. I was around when the LED craze hit and purchased a few. One of my prizes is a Texas Instruments LED in a curved SS case with, of course, a curved red crystal with the TI logo engraved into it. Paid $125 then - a lot of money for a teacher at the time!

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I admit to interest in them also but can't justify the price. If an Accutron mvt. goes south, you can always repair it. Not with those. I was around when the LED craze hit and purchased a few. One of my prizes is a Texas Instruments LED in a curved SS case with, of course, a curved red crystal with the TI logo engraved into it. Paid $125 then - a lot of money for a teacher at the time!
My first watch as a kid at school was an LCD Seiko Sports 100 from 1980. God I loved it. I wore it everywhere. Bed, shower, etc. When bored shirtless in school one of my fav games was to get the stop watch to stop on exactly 1.00 seconds. Over and over and over and..... Surprisingly entertaining. :001_smile:

I still have it. It gave up the ghost years ago but i tracked down a working identical model on bay for $130 (that took two years...... d.a.m.n. people who won't ship OS just because they won't....:cursing:).

I'll just swap the guts.

You put it on and you look at it and you feel like you are 15 again.

The amazing thing is my old watch still (jussttt) fits my wrist 32 years later. Not that i'm boasting or anything. :biggrin:

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've got a Computron for about $150 2 years ago. One LED segment doesn't work and it is well used but good nick.

Good ones regularly go for $300 - $700 now.

They are quirky but I fall in and out of love with it frequently now I have it.

You have to have right shirt on :)001_rolleyes:) or it can look a little silly in my opinion.

I emailed the $1000+ seller to congratulate him on his auction. He said:

"Needless to say I am dumbfounded. I figured maybe $300...but this is WAY more than I expected."

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I didn't look at the link at first, just figured the price was high, as usual on these watches these days. Just now looked and ---:

:--- wow! Must have been the same buyer who paid $90 for the 214 watch box.

Since we are discussing LED/LCD watches, here is a pic of my Texas Instruments LED. Tried to snap the pic with it lit up but I wasn't fast enough. Put the 2 batteries in last Winter. Now is 3 minutes fast. Batteries will last a year if you never light it up! :biggrin: BTW, have the cardboard outer box, too. My middle name is "Anal". After 30+ years the band still fits me, too. Can't say as much for my waist, though. :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just sold my Computron to a fellow in Japan for $750. It is the rare red stripe version. I just bought a two tone matching the $1000 auction piece myself for quite a bit just to have it. I remember when I posted about these a month or so back. I think we are going to see more prices like this because those watches are so darn rare. They were only made for 2 years and they were expensive then at $140 for the 254 module version right at the time the prices started to come down. Makes me happy I was buying them right before the price jump happened. I only have 4 more of them now and I plan on holding onto at least 3 of them just to have long term. I do wear them regularly. The reason I sold the red stripe was I was terrified I would chip it while wearing it sometime. So now metal only for me where possible. I attached a few pics of the one that I just let get away.

Light Rectangle Toy Amber Lego
Office equipment Material property Electronic device Free reed aerophone Machine
Watch Office equipment Communication Device Calculator Audio equipment

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just sold my Computron to a fellow in Japan for $750. It is the rare red stripe version. I just bought a two tone matching the $1000 auction piece myself for quite a bit just to have it. I remember when I posted about these a month or so back. I think we are going to see more prices like this because those watches are so darn rare. They were only made for 2 years and they were expensive then at $140 for the 254 module version right at the time the prices started to come down. Makes me happy I was buying them right before the price jump happened. I only have 4 more of them now and I plan on holding onto at least 3 of them just to have long term. I do wear them regularly. The reason I sold the red stripe was I was terrified I would chip it while wearing it sometime. So now metal only for me where possible. I attached a few pics of the one that I just let get away.

View attachment 33067 View attachment 33068 View attachment 33069
The red stripe and more complex band does make a big difference in Comps. Mines the plain version and is used condition.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't look at the link at first, just figured the price was high, as usual on these watches these days. Just now looked and ---:

:--- wow! Must have been the same buyer who paid $90 for the 214 watch box.

Since we are discussing LED/LCD watches, here is a pic of my Texas Instruments LED. Tried to snap the pic with it lit up but I wasn't fast enough. Put the 2 batteries in last Winter. Now is 3 minutes fast. Batteries will last a year if you never light it up! :biggrin: BTW, have the cardboard outer box, too. My middle name is "Anal". After 30+ years the band still fits me, too. Can't say as much for my waist, though. :lol:
Very nice. I could easily go the LED/LCD addiction but there is just so many and it would take so much time. Oh yeah, and $.

No. Other parts of me seem to have changed as well..

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Just goes to show, you never know.:T

·
Registered
81 Posts
It ended at $1025 which is actually lower than I thought it would. I remember it higher so I think he cancelled a bid. Still it is a beautiful watch for any amount. Makes me think I got in just in time to get them while they were still affordable. I am getting to the point where my collection is mostly Bulova with only a couple of Pulsars and then others like Tudor. Now I wish they would've made a "spaceview" digital watch. :001_tt1:

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I went to have a look at mine last night just to compare before it closed.

I looked at the all expensive horrors staring back at me, and no Computron to be seen ANYWHERE :scared:

I searched all the usual spots. Several times. I remembered the last time I wore it a few nights ago on a huge night out with friends. Now I can be carefully careless with watches. I wear them all and will take them off and leave them by the bed, etc. But I don't take them off in public and leave them there.

But after three hours of searching (not what you want to do before night-night at 2300...) I thought I must have been sooooo drunk I had somehow lost it. :sad: :sad:

I tried to think that at least someone somewhere was now enjoying my Computron................

Then a breakthrough - 'Back Of Lounge'. And there it was. Of course - the FIRST place to look for anything. :blush:

Covered in bits of grime. Along with about $3 in change. And bits of food. I vaguely remembered coming home, putting on Breaking Bad and lapsing into blackness. I must have taken it off.

I gave it a clean, re-set it's annoying bit-too-fast time, apologised to it profusely and wore it to bed. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Speaking of a Computron that runs too fast, is it possible to adjust these?

I admit to knowing little of LED workings and to having done zero research..............
I have never seen the inside of the Computron but many of the quartz watches of this vintage had a trim screw with which you could regulate the time keeping. The quartz converted movement in my Accuquartz has one and I have used it to tweak the time keeping. Clock-wise makes it faster. It will usually be a slotted screw and is actually a small potentiometer (pot). Changes should be made in VERY SMALL INCREMENTS. If present, it will be easily visible when the back is removed.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haven't seen that style before, really nice for a Comp (are Comps the leppers of the Accutron community? I mean they aren't really Accutrons..) but the $$$$??? Is he nuts?? He'll probably get it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's my Computron for sale. I am trying to live up to my agreement with my GF that anything over a certain amount of $$$ gets listed for a month and if it doesn't sell I can keep it. I really want to keep this watch, but we do have a deal, and I try and live up to it. I based my sale price on the last one that sold. I am hoping no one else thinks it's reasonable.

Does anyone else have a deal like this with their significant other?

Sorry in advance if this breaks a rule in mentioning it's mine.

BTW am I nuts? I collect LED and vintage watches, you decide....

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's my Computron for sale. I am trying to live up to my agreement with my GF that anything over a certain amount of $$$ gets listed for a month and if it doesn't sell I can keep it. I really want to keep this watch, but we do have a deal, and I try and live up to it. I based my sale price on the last one that sold. I am hoping no one else thinks it's reasonable.

Does anyone else have a deal like this with their significant other?

Sorry in advance if this breaks a rule in mentioning it's mine.

BTW am I nuts? I collect LED and vintage watches, you decide....
Good luck with it, I hope you get it! Don't mind me. I'm harmless!

That's a specific agreement with the GF......mine hasn't got quite to that level. Yet. :blink:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.