WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 chronographs. One of them has the tachymeter and telemeter scales on the bezel. I've no idea what to do with these features. I don't time boiled eggs in the kitchen with my telemeter scale. These are just a couple interesting extra buttons that look cool. One of my watches has a GMT/24hour hand. Got me on that one too. Wazzit for? I bought these watches because I liked the way they looked. Not very clever, but still a valid method of picking.

I like complications, but I want some that I can find a use for so here's my list.

1. three center hands, hour minute & second.
2. Day month and date large enough to see like on the Khaki or Chronoswiss
3. power reserve. I forget to wind or don't wear often so this I find helpful on every watch that has one.
4. exhibition back. I like to watch da watch.
5. I like numbers on the dial, indicators are okay, but I like numbers.
6. I like contrast between the back and the hands so it's easy to read. My Ananta has polished steel hands on a silver dial and in poor lighting it drives me nutz!
7. Lume! I haven't tried Tritium but everyon raves who has.
8. Automatic and I want a gold rotor! that has to be as useful as a GMT hand
9. guilloche dial
10. moon phase...this is a maybe
11. hacking. gotta be able to set da thing!

Well there ya go...what's on your list?

Registered
1. three center hands, hour minute & second.
4. exhibition back. I like to watch da watch.
5. I like numbers on the dial, indicators are okay, but I like numbers.
6. I like contrast between the back and the hands so it's easy to read. My Ananta has polished steel hands on a silver dial and in poor lighting it drives me nutz!
7. Lume! I haven't tried Tritium but everyon raves who has.
8. Automatic and I want a gold rotor! that has to be as useful as a GMT hand
9. guilloche dial
11. hacking. gotta be able to set da thing!
Technically, these (along with tachymeter and tele meter scales) are not complications

Super Moderator
I have 8 out of the 11 options although not all on the same watch. None are deal breakers, although the hacking feature does come really close.
I'd love to own a Minute Repeater but that's never gonna happen unless I hit the lottery. And thanks to astronomy, I could actually find an Equation of Time indicator somewhat useful!

Banned
Never was much for complications. Didn't find them useful and cluttered up the dial. Some watches do them well though. One combination I like is the triple date moonphase:

Always liked GO's Pano series too, particularly thebig date / power reserve PanoReserve and the big date / moonphase PanoMatic Lunar:

The single coolest complication, IMO, is the repeater. Scored an 18ct pocket watch 15 minute repeater that's being repaired now. I'll see if I can shoot a video of it when it comes back. Might end up being my desk clock.

Registered
I tend to wear and like Chronometers, at one time I used the functions on a regular basis and I like the looks. With that said I own several watches, all different kinds, I buy em because I like em, the looks, the style, size and shape.
In reality the complications on a watch are like widgets, no one really needs them, but fun to have.....

Registered
I don't care for chronographs, have never seen one that didn't look cluttered but certainly beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like for a watch to have the date and I always want one or two with the GMT function for traveling.

Registered
I only wear non digital watches and have only 1 quartz watch. I prefer clean looking watches with just day/date. And I prefer automatics and vintage pieces. And, since I do not make the money I once did, I get most of mine for under $50, including my Dugena, Seiko 4 x2, Favre Lueba Sea King and the like. My oldest watch is an art deco style Buren in original box, possibly from the 1920s or 30s

Banned
Things I have

I like my watches to have a date - 8 out of my 10 watches have this feature. The only two that don't are the IWC Portuguese, which is such a drop dead gorgeous dial that it really doesn't need it - and the Breguet La Tradition where a date just wouldn't be appropriate.

I really like Chronographs. It all part of the mechanical timekeeping/precision engineering fix that I am into. The flyback function is super cool if one can stretch to the extra expense.

I never appreciated a power reserve until I had one (Panerai) but it has to be well placed or it can make some watch dials look awfully unbalanced (it's what I dislike on some JLC Master Control watches).

I have a thing for the retrograde function. I just think it is fun.

Annual Calendars are cool. I love my Patek and when I wore it for a whole year virtually non stop (I only had three watches then) it was a useful feature.

I have a Moonphase but I'm ambivalent when it comes to these.

Things I want

I would love a minute repeater but will never be able to afford a Patek so the IWC (Donuts version) remains my grail.

I would also love a Grande date with the wheels on the same level. I think it will be a GO that satisfies this urge soon.

Things I don't seem to want

I have really gone off the idea of a Tourbillon. They always seem to look ugly on the dial to me. I used to crave one. Now I think they look like a wound on the face of the watch. Maybe I'll lurch back to loving them again one day?

I cannot justify the expense of a Perpetual Calendar. Yeah it's uber cool that it waits four years to do its thing but it adds about 拢35k to a watch if you are looking at a PP Annual vs a Perpetual. 拢35k for a once every 4 year trick? I don't think I could justify that.

Registered
Power reserve gauge! I want one!

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

Registered
I've always likes chronographs, I guess I like a busy dial. Lately, the Pro & Grand Divers have caught my eye, especially with automatic movements. The only complication I don't have is a power reserve indicator which I would like. And like GETS above, a minute repeater would be a nice addition. Invicta does make one in the $400 range, ahhhh, someday!!

Registered
For some reason, I'm enamored with the look of the moonphase. Ulack's Chronoswiss is the type of watch that is my grail. Month, day, date, moonphase and a decent pedigree.

Now if I could only get it all on one watch that is an automatic.

This one has it all, except it is a quartz and a Stuhrling. Still looks nice though. Right concept, wrong implementation.

Oh, forgot about this Timex. Besides being ugly, unreadable, and the fact that month and year need to advanced by hand.... Did I say this is ugly? How can it have all these features and be so horrible? :scared:

This Orient, was a step in the right direction. Date, power reserve, and a retrograde day.

A little closer, with a decent movement and dial, but lacks a moonphase, though it does have a power reserve.

As of right now, this FC is a close as my budget allows me to get to my dream watch. Moonphase and date with a solid movement made by a decent company (all relative to my price range)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.