WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Working on molds already for those. They will be for 2013. Awesome dials for those as well. The dials are halfway done. Similar to the M61 / M62 style cutout CNC dials.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Awesome dials for those as well. The dials are halfway done. Similar to the M61 / M62 style cutout CNC dials.
Excellent! Can I suggest you aim for a little more lume than the M61/62 have. Love my M61, but would like just a bit more lume :cool1:

·
Registered
264 Posts
tritium + WR ratings

A little more lume never hurt anyone. Is it tough to get a tritium license? Not sure what tritium plus killer lume would look like. Doxa has a tritium + nice lume diver along with other manufacturers. I am dying to see these molds. I love the cutout dials LT is considering. Maybe a dome sapphire option? Maybe an orange dial? I can't wait for my bronze beauty but I guess I will be saving for 2013.

Timbo, you buy anything recently. I've kind of slowed down. Haven't bought a new piece in awhile unless you consider the Bronze pre-order. I am suddenly itching for a nice diver in orange. I had my Magrette Moana Diver recently serviced. The Miyota 8215 died. Had to have it replaced. He is replacing all seals but the watch repair gentleman said he doesn't understand why this watch is called a diver because he would not even swim in it. He opined further and said most WR ratings are bogus and he would not recommend even swimming in them unless they are true divers. He claims most WR ratings are advertising ****ing matches. If you want to swim/dive get a Submariner or SeaDweller; unless the watch meets some association rating (I forgot the name?) don't go diving in them.

Anyone have any experiences swimming/diving with an M27 or Bull Series?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Doc, you probably know me well enough by now to understand we differ in some areas. I neither like tritium tubes nor domed sapphires.

I have a couple of incoming at the end of June...they've been on order six months or more. Other than that, it seems the pace in releases, and discussions on watch forum has slowed markedly.

I agree about what one wears in water. I have a dive watch which is rated pretty well if I want to swim. The most water any of the others see is only if I'm caught in the rain.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Working on molds already for those. They will be for 2013. Awesome dials for those as well. The dials are halfway done. Similar to the M61 / M62 style cutout CNC dials.
Are those the same sample silver, grey and matt black dials you have shown in the M61/62 dial samples thread? :confused1:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Does the new 2013 Cobalt Chromium models come with Cobalt Chromium bracelets too?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Awww, crap, I had to click on this thread. Just when I reduced my want list to ONE watch and planned out my finances. Crap. :sad:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Damascus steel or explosive welded layered plate made into watch cases and strap buckles would be cooooool :drool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
That is exciting! A nice sandwich dial in black would be a nice edition to the Lum-tec offerings.

I know we are talking 2013, but will these likely fall into the Tungsten price point?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
He opined further and said most WR ratings are bogus and he would not recommend even swimming in them unless they are true divers. He claims most WR ratings are advertising ****ing matches. If you want to swim/dive get a Submariner or SeaDweller; unless the watch meets some association rating (I forgot the name?) don't go diving in them.
Yup, you're absolutely right and only a few brands actually rate their watches to actual water resistance. Most are rated to a static pressure, not usable pressure rating (the association he's mentioning is the ISO standards). The "explanation" is that movement of the watch on the wrist in the water exerts additional pressure, so if you were to wave frantically at 50' you're exerting the equivalent pressure of many times that.

OK, so there is some truth to that, but the simple solution is rate your watch to the reasonable true depth. You can determine a normal amount of movement underwater, and it's not that much. Water is a very restrictive medium, so unless you're scuba-surfing behind a Submariner you're not moving very fast. But they'll never do that as 1) they'd actually have to live up to that rating and 2) would make the watch look 'less robust'. After all, that 100m WR watch would have an actual rating of about 20'. Here's the basic rules of thumb for most manufactures:

Water Resistant or 30 m
Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. NOT suitable for swimming, snorkeling, water related work and fishing. NOT suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 50 m
Suitable for swimming, white water rafting, non-snorkeling water related work, and fishing. NOT suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 100 m
Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 200 m
Suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

Diver's 100 m
Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches are generally old(er) watches. (NOTE: while technically rated as a "diving" watch, today's standards lean more to a 200M minimum rating for SCUBA activity.)

Diver's 200 m or 300 m
Suitable for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Typical ratings for contemporary diver's watches.

Diver's 300+ m for mixed-gas diving
Suitable for saturation diving (helium enriched environment). Watches designed for mixed-gas diving will have the DIVER’S WATCH L M FOR MIXED-GAS DIVING additional marking to point this out.

One point of clarification, my comments above are at the watch industry in general, NOT Lum-Tec or their watches. Until the industry as a whole changes this method (which is unlikely to happen for the reasons above).

Anyone have any experiences swimming/diving with an M27 or Bull Series?
The M27 is only rated to 100m, and as such is not recommended by today's standards for SCUBA use. I wouldn't dive in it, but I'd certainly snorkel / swim in my M25 without hesitation (same rating)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Scott, thanks for that detailed well thought out reply. That's the information I was looking for. Does anyone know if Lum Tec meets ISO standards? perhaps maybe only their diver? My watch repair guy was of the opinion that if its not a true diver why take a chance on a nice watch for even swimming or snorkelling. I have gone surf fishing and swimming with my Magrette, Submariner, and Armida watches but I have never taken any of my Lum Tecs. To clarify, the reason I have not taken any of my LT's is because they are on nice leather straps. I am curious to see how many of us have actually gone diving or for that matter swimming with their LT's.

On another note, is it difficult to meet ISO diving standards? I know that is part of Doxa's advertising engine. Plus, I don't have a cool orange dial in my collection.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Scott, thanks for that detailed well thought out reply. That's the information I was looking for. Does anyone know if Lum Tec meets ISO standards? perhaps maybe only their diver? My watch repair guy was of the opinion that if its not a true diver why take a chance on a nice watch for even swimming or snorkelling. I have gone surf fishing and swimming with my Magrette, Submariner, and Armida watches but I have never taken any of my Lum Tecs. To clarify, the reason I have not taken any of my LT's is because they are on nice leather straps. I am curious to see how many of us have actually gone diving or for that matter swimming with their LT's.
No problem! Though I can't take credit for it as it's a cut & paste from the web. As to if Lum-Tec's meet ISO standards, keep in mind there are different ISO standards. ISO 2281 speaks to all watch water resistancy standards, while 6425 is the divers watch standard. While probably only the 500M (and upcoming 300M) meet 6425, I'd imagine all the others meet 2281 standards. But that's just my 2 cents...

That said, like you the primary reason I have not used my M25 in water is it's on a gator strap. If it was on the bracelet I'd have no hesitation taking it swimming or snorkeling. I would not dive with it nor any other Lum-Tec, other than the 500M (or new 300M) which is rated for diving.

On another note, is it difficult to meet ISO diving standards? I know that is part of Doxa's advertising engine. Plus, I don't have a cool orange dial in my collection.
I don't know for sure, but I doubt it's very hard to meet it given the number of sub-$500 true diver watches are out there..

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I doubt it's very hard to meet it given the number of sub-$500 true diver watches are out there..
There are quite a few sub-$500 dive watches that meet ISO 6425 standards, but aren't those generally manufactured by major watch companies with huge production volumes (Seiko, Citizen, and Orient) and not boutique watch companies?

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Yup, you're right most of those are is the mass produced companies. Not sure where the line between mass produced and boutique lies, but I was just speaking to how hard it is to just meeting the standard.

Of course other items, such as great CS, good designs and something different from everyone else adds value (and cost) as well..

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
How does cobalt chromium compare to tungsten? (weight, hardness / scratch resistance)
Weight is lighter but heavier than SS.
Hardness is softer but not soft enough that you would be able to scratch it without diamond tools.
Color is more of a platinum tone.
Strength is the biggest asset to this material. It reaches close to the hardness of tungsten but it is not brittle like the tungsten is. It is extremely strong.
It is about 3x more expensive than tungsten carbide.
Pricing will be similar to the tungsten series as we will not be doing a Cobalt Chromium bracelet.
Construction will be much tighter and stronger than the M tungsten.
Brushed/matte finishes are possible.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Sounds very interesting Chris. I like the fact the color is very similar to platinum and you'll be able to have polished and brushed finishes... Looking forward to seeing this one! :thumbup: :drool:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Weight is lighter but heavier than SS.
Hardness is softer but not soft enough that you would be able to scratch it without diamond tools.
Color is more of a platinum tone.
Strength is the biggest asset to this material. It reaches close to the hardness of tungsten but it is not brittle like the tungsten is. It is extremely strong.
It is about 3x more expensive than tungsten carbide.
Pricing will be similar to the tungsten series as we will not be doing a Cobalt Chromium bracelet.
Construction will be much tighter and stronger than the M tungsten.
Brushed/matte finishes are possible.
I can't wait to see concept renderings of this new cobalt chromium series; the material properties sound very promising! I think a combination polished/brushed case would look awesome (ie. something like a brushed case with a polished bezel). :thumbup1:

A couple follow-up questions:
  • Will this new Cobalt Chromium series be a M series in appearance (general case shape)?
  • What movement are you guys thinking of putting in these? Is your order with Miyota still on schedule for a mid-2013 delivery?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts