WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just downloaded the 400+ page report. There are a LOT of big names. Kinda hard to "villianize" Bonds when so many others are implicated. It's way more widespread than the average fan ever thought possible.

Budman

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
If an athlete is caught, using, purchasing, or holding any illegal substance, their names, achievements, etc., should be removed from all record books, IMHO. After all, Ruth did it on beer, hot dogs, and junk food. ;)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
What are the owners supposed to do? If your star player, who is making you lots of money and helping your team win, is using and you know it, what should you do? I know it's not right, but since many players are doing it, it is easy to look the other way.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
And what about the owners? I noticed after reading the report that the owners are left untouched. Clean hands:lol:

So the owners never knew about this? If you believe that, I have some nice unused WMDs in Iraq to sell you.:rolleyes:
Actually Koi has a point, and I do agree with him on this one. Granted we do not see eye to eye every time; but, this is one, I agree with him.

If there is a problem with the sport, and illegal substances/abuse IMHO is a problem, the owners AND player's union should have addressed this. If the owners knew it, and knowingly turned their cheek, they need to be held accountable just like everyone else. Same with the commissioner. I also blame the player's union for not agreeing to testing, etc.

I also believe every record from 1970 should be removed from the record book, until that athlete submits a hair sample, and legal sworn affidavit that any banned and/or illegal substance was not used in. For the owners, they must submit the same sworn statement stating that they have absolutely no knowledge of the use, or be removed from the team, and possible charges for aiding and abetting. Sound harsh? Possibly. But, if this were in middle school, high school, etc., the kids, coaches, and others would be under the heat lamp, and the same standard should be applied here.

·
Registered
646 Posts
"I also blame the player's union for not agreeing to testing, etc."

IMHO, the players' union needs to be busted. It is what is ruining the game as far as I'm concerned. I think it's ridiculous that it wants to negotiate the terms of drug testing with league officials. Of course, the league is to blame for its own problems.

This report is a farce, again MHO. Spending $20m dollars to look back ten years at approximately 600 players on the major teams per year and coming up with only 70 or so names, some of which everyone already figured was juiced, and then to say that none should be suspended. WTH??? Why bother do research the issue if there's no penalty involved. Then I question the ethics of Mitchell due to his ownership in the Red Sox. To me, this adds up to 450 pgs of craptastic nothingness. It's no ownder I'm not a baseball fan.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Koimaster:

On the Pete Rose issue..........I do understand why MLB did go after him. Gambling. That is the cardinal sin of any sport. Go to court, jail, prison, etc? No problem. Come back to the sport if you can still play. Some athletes have done this in a variety of sports. But gamble on the game? Unforgivable, and that athlete is blacklisted for life.

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I have no respect for Ali. He dodged the draft, and IMHO is right to have citizenship revoked. During peace time, if people do not want to enslist, fine. That is their right to enlist or not; but, during war, whether you agree with it or not, if there is a draft, you have to go, end of story. If someone refuses, they should be imprisoned and have citizenship revoked. I will never forgive Hanoi Jane, Ali, and others for the shame they have brought to themselves and the country.

As far as Rose.....He gambled. He DENIED it for decades, and then when he saw the HOF eligibility window close, he finally admitted it. He broke the rules, and lied about it for years; therefore, IMHO, Rose should be denied the HOF and his ban upheld.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts