WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those electrics weren't cheap back in the day!!

From 1951

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Very interesting on these watches...Even though it was thought of as the biggest development since the wristwatch many think Hamilton came out too early with it. But the race to be the first with the "electric" watch was too important. Hamilton did not train the dealers on how to fix or maintain these new critters. Many jewelers did not sell them for they were afraid that they may come back for repair. But the hype of having a watch that you didn't have to wind was overwhelming to the public so they bought them. If they needed repair they couldn't, if they needed adjusted they couldn't. The ones that worked were marvelous but many got the "Invicta" curse. (Sorry I used the name, I like Invicta and have a Reserve Speedway coming, but I figured you could best relate to that statement....)

More can be read about this at hamiltonwristwatch.com read the article from Time magazine.

Rene Rondeau is one of or the only guys in the world that can repair a Hamilton electric watch. For the contacts (like contacts in old automobiles) are no longer made.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
I believe that Rondeau has written the definitive book on Hamilton wristwatches.
Maybe we should try to do an interview with him? Whaddya think, foggy?

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that Rondeau has written the definitive book on Hamilton wristwatches.
Maybe we should try to do an interview with him? Whaddya think, foggy?

Brilliant!!!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
I bought both René Rondeau's books and he was more than happy to autograph them for me. He is the leading authority on Hamilton watches and restores them to original factory specs and condition. You should check out his website.

One book is the complete history of Hamilton Watch Company and the other is a guide to Hamilton watches. Both are brilliant.

Rusty, we should get an interview with him. I'm sure he'd love to know about the forum.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
I bought both René Rondeau's books and he was more than happy to autograph them for me. He is the leading authority on Hamilton watches and restores them to original factory specs and condition. You should check out his website.

One book is the complete history of Hamilton Watch Company and the other is a guide to Hamilton watches. Both are brilliant.

Rusty, we should get an interview with him. I'm sure he'd love to know about the forum.
We are in touch with him as I write this post, Mac. He is going to visit us, he says and we hope that an announcement may be forthcoming, so keep your eyes peeled on this site.:w00t:

The new addition of his book on the electric watch, autographed of course, is on its way to me. I have invited him to become a member of WTF so we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
RE: Knight Watchman's post.

You can see that those Hamiltons in that ad are by no means cheap.

Sixty Dollars in 1936 was a heck of a lot of money, considering no one had any money in those days. Maybe Railroad workers were doing better than most.

Using the Consumer Price Index as a comparison, $60 was worth $872.73

Of course, those watches are gold-filled and I haven't really noted any gold-filled watches on the market, though I could be wrong.

Everything seems to be either solid gold or plated.

Considering that, I'm not really sure how that comparison works out in comparing what that same watch produced today would cost.

Maybe a lot more.

·
Banned
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RE: Knight Watchman's post.

You can see that those Hamiltons in that ad are by no means cheap.

Sixty Dollars in 1936 was a heck of a lot of money, considering no one had any money in those days. Maybe Railroad workers were doing better than most.

Using the Consumer Price Index as a comparison, $60 was worth $872.73

Of course, those watches are gold-filled and I haven't really noted any gold-filled watches on the market, though I could be wrong.

Everything seems to be either solid gold or plated.

Considering that, I'm not really sure how that comparison works out in comparing what that same watch produced today would cost.

Maybe a lot more.

And they were,in fact, made in the finest factories in the world.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts