WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of the Hamilton models come in both Chronograph or Standard 3 hand......

How much will the different movement play, in your choice to purchase?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right now I am being very careful on how many auto chrono's I'm purchasing for a few years down the road I want to be buying and not just maintaining movements. I give first consideration to the 3 hand movement....If I like the looks, that's what I'll do. For example, probably my next purchase is a Jazzmaster... A lot of models to choose from, but I started with the 3 hands and really like the white and rose gold Viewmatic....The chronos are killer but, I'm going to stick with not so complicated.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Years ago, when the quartz digitals hit the market, each seemingly more complex than the next, I was into the Casio maze of watches. After several complicated watches, I began to yearn for the simpler days of three hand watches. There is something beautfully simple about JazzMaster and Khaki Field 3 hand watches.

Don't get me wrong, I own a ton of chronographs since I find them handy in my work, but the simplicity of the 3 hand is something I appreciate. That said, I do not currently own a Valjoux 7750 and I covet at least one even if it will cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
I own 2 7750's and 6 or 7 quartz chronos.
I'm sticking with 3 hand only from now on.
I never use the chrono function.:confused1:

3 hand is also cheaper to keep if a mechanical problem should arise.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My chronos are all quartz by deliberate choice - I don't want complex, expensive mechanicals going haywire. My preference is for two- or three-hands only. Some are only available with date or day-date, and I put up with them, but they are a pain on short months. That's why I have two Eco-Drives with perpetual calendar feature. My two (so far) vintage Hamiltons (pocket watch and Masterpiece wrist watch) are three-hands with no date complication.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Simple is best in my book. A rotating dive bezel is about as complicated as I get. I agree with foghorn in that the chrono functions aren't needed very often if at all.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I like chronos, but a rotating bezel is almost as good, actually better sometimes.

I like plain old three-hand movements, too, with a fixed bezel.

Everyone knows how I feel about quartz.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the Hamilton Frogman..Almost a complete different watch chrono vs. 3hand?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
The Frogman watches don't appeal to me and because I don't dive, it's not an issue.

Of course, life has had a way of presenting unexpected challenges at unexpected times, so I could be changing my mind about that.

There was a time when I thought I might never own not only an analog watch, but an automatic watch and now I own both.

In fact, within about six weeks my circumstances are going to change dramatically, so I'm ready for almost anything.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
The Frogman watches don't appeal to me and because I don't dive, it's not an issue.

Of course, life has had a way of presenting unexpected challenges at unexpected times, so I could be changing my mind about that.

There was a time when I thought I might never own not only an analog watch, but an automatic watch and now I own both.

In fact, within about six weeks my circumstances are going to change dramatically, so I'm ready for almost anything.
Did you win the lottery, Grady? I hope it is something very, very good.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Did you win the lottery, Grady? I hope it is something very, very good.
No lottery. Lotteries are a tax on the mathematically challenged. :D

I'll just be in a much better position to pursue my interests, horological and otherwise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts