WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could really use help from some experienced watch enthusiasts. I joined this site to learn more about watch winders in shopping for a first purchase for my husband-to-be's Christmas present. I'm far from figuring things out to get his gift in time!

His watch is a Breitling Blackbird. How do I figure out which direction and how many turns per day is needed (and whether a non-adjustable setting is sufficient)? Do Jewels help determine the setting? Here are some specs according to the website:

Vibration 28 800 v.p.h
Jewel 38 jewels
BLACKBIRD - Blackbird - Chronomat - Technical data - Models - BREITLING | INSTRUMENTS FOR PROFESSIONALS™

He seems to like Rolex watches as well, and in case he one day is lucky enough to get one, I'd like to get a two place containing winder. Would one motor for both settings work for a Rolex and this particular Breitling?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
I could really use help from some experienced watch enthusiasts. I joined this site to learn more about watch winders in shopping for a first purchase for my husband-to-be's Christmas present. I'm far from figuring things out to get his gift in time!

His watch is a Breitling Blackbird. How do I figure out which direction and how many turns per day is needed (and whether a non-adjustable setting is sufficient)? Do Jewels help determine the setting? Here are some specs according to the website:

Vibration 28 800 v.p.h
Jewel 38 jewels
BLACKBIRD - Blackbird - Chronomat - Technical data - Models - BREITLING | INSTRUMENTS FOR PROFESSIONALS™

He seems to like Rolex watches as well, and in case he one day is lucky enough to get one, I'd like to get a two place containing winder. Would one motor for both settings work for a Rolex and this particular Breitling?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Jina - welcome to the forum. I did a little research for you. According to the Breitling website, your husband's watch uses the Breitling caliber 44. With this information, we can reference a database which my favorite watch winder manufacturer Orbita has on their website:

Orbita - Watch Database

According to the Orbita website, the Breitling caliber 44 winds in both directions and requires 650 turns per day - the same requirement for most Rolex watches by the way.

Nearly any winder you look at should be able to do 650 TPD. So you've got a lot of freedom of choice. The next question is, what's your budget? Watch winders are a luxury item and can be pretty expensive, but well worth it.. :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Jina, regarding your question that you had asked me in the Eulix winder review thread, I will answer you here... I don't want to fill that thread talking about other brands.

Your question was...
"I was checking out the review looking for a watch winder as a gift. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the selection, details, and the range of prices. If you don't mind, could you share what brands you find last longer and are quiet? Thank you."

If you are open to spending the money for an Orbita, I would probably go that route since they seem to have great customer service and most people seem to be happy with them. I have never had one, but wouldn't have any concerns about getting one. I especially like the newer ones that have a 5 year battery life.

Other than the Eilux, which I have not been happy with, I am using a Brookstone winder which has been great so far. It is only about 2 years old, but has worked perfectly so far and has much better functions than the Eulix. I don't know how long it will last, but for the low cost, I wanted to give it a try. The cost is low enough ($200 for a 4 head winder, $150 for a 2 head winder, & $100 for a 1 head winder) that I can comfortably consider it a disposable item, unlike the higher priced winders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is incredibly helpful - thank you.
I was prepared to spend a couple of hundred dollars, and I was hoping it would look nice enough to be a Christmas present. I didn't realize how pricey they could get. I'm hoping to start small and upgrade in the future once my fiance becomes an avid collector.

I've now read about how some are unlucky enough to get quality brands and have the the unit become louder or the motor break not long after. I would hate for a winder to merely look nice on the surface. Would it be too much to ask for a winder to last a couple of years at this price point?

A second question is regarding how important it is to find a reputable seller...Is it recommended that I buy one from a site from which replacement motors could be purchased if necessary?

Again, I'm grateful for your insight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jina, regarding your question that you had asked me in the Eulix winder review thread, I will answer you here... I don't want to fill that thread talking about other brands.

If you are open to spending the money for an Orbita, I would probably go that route since they seem to have great customer service and most people seem to be happy with them. I have never had one, but wouldn't have any concerns about getting one. I especially like the newer ones that have a 5 year battery life.

Other than the Eilux, which I have not been happy with, I am using a Brookstone winder which has been great so far. It is only about 2 years old, but has worked perfectly so far and has much better functions than the Eulix. I don't know how long it will last, but for the low cost, I wanted to give it a try. The cost is low enough ($200 for a 4 head winder, $150 for a 2 head winder, & $100 for a 1 head winder) that I can comfortably consider it a disposable item, unlike the higher priced winders.
It's good to know that experienced collectors are willing to consider Brookstone winders. It was the first ones I came across with positive reviews before I discovered this forum. I will definitely look into the Orbita, although I suspect that it may exceed my budget. Thank you very much for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts