WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm a bit excited about the start to a new hobby and thank you all for such wonderful insight I've had a chance to read in the past week. I've spent many a nights up late reading so much.

I'm in a position to buy a watch and a few are limited editions. Would there be a rhyme or reason on choosing a certain serial number over another? Is number 42 better than 68? Aside from any personal sentimental numbers that is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome to WTF! You will certainly find a wealth of information here. I encourage you to read as much as you can, it is important in this hobby!

As far as LE watches are concerned, other than No. 1 or No. Last, other numbers come down to personal preference and superstition.

What kind of watch are you looking at? Do you have any watches already? Post pictures Or share your interests. Again, welcome!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and insight.

I'm just starting and the only watches I have now are a bunch of fashion watches. They are pretty cool, but time for me to move forward (no pun intended).

I do have one nicer watch, which is an Omega Constellation, but sadly a quartz. I just bought a Maurice Lacroix 47mm Pantos Chronology with date coming. Had it shipped out of state to avoid the awful California sales taxes.

I'm into lesser known boutique brands where there is more Quality than quantity when it comes to getting your money's worth.

I've got an eye on a few sub $2k watches next like a Perrelet 24 HR gmt, Lum-Tec, Prometheus and some antique pocket watches turned into wristwatches. Thoughts on the latter?

Welcome to WTF! You will certainly find a wealth of information here. I encourage you to read as much as you can, it is important in this hobby!

As far as LE watches are concerned, other than No. 1 or No. Last, other numbers come down to personal preference and superstition.

What kind of watch are you looking at? Do you have any watches already? Post pictures Or share your interests. Again, welcome!

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
Great to have you here, Hyungster.

When it comes to limited editions, I have to agree with kegrace. As far as the watch itself is concerned the numbers are inconsequential and meaningless. Lower #s are good for bragging-rights, personal satisfaction, and a positive (but irrational) selling point if you ever get rid of it.

Good luck on your next watch...all are good choices. My thoughts? None of your choices are losers so take a deep breath, look at all of them carefully, and buy the one your heart tells you you'll be happiest with. It's that simple.

(And then come back here with lots of pictures!:T)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Kegrace is right. Only #1 and #last are the top picks. Superstition also plays a role in some cultures. Feng Shui favors numbers with an 8 like 8 itself, 18, 88 etc. So it's really up to you.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Usually the meaningful numbers in a series are reserved for the company museum/ceo/treasurer/top client/athlete etcetera. Just get a number you enjoy. It wont bring value if you ever sell it.

As for your Maurice Lacroix, I'm a huge fan. I have a Peseux and Jours Retrograde!

I can't wait to see yours!!!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
As said above, maybe choose a number with personal meaning to you. If offered a chance I would take my birthday (6 - and the number of the LE Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Open Heart I used to own) or one of my old jersey numbers which are 5 (also happens to be Windy's birthday) or 55.

Now how about some pics?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all your advice. unfortunately the significant numbers i wanted are all gone. so i'm gonna go for a lower number.

I hope to get my ML this Friday / Saturday. Pics will go up as soon as i get a chance. I could put up stock photos from websites, but i'm sure you wanna see the real thing right? i'm sure we can keep the fashion watches out from wasting webspace. already enough spam out there.

dang, i've spent so much time on this forum reading the fs section. this is gonna be expensive. time to make more money.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Keep your eyes peeled on ChronoShark | The Watch Deal a Day Site | Watches for Sale | Buy Discount Watches they occasionally have a "big boy" sale that involves a $5000 ML selling for $1500. There are some killer deals that can be had. Here are my two. Maybe Dennis will share his!

Very hard to photograph. You'll see the details of the retrograde in one pictures and the glimmer of the sterling silver dial in the other.

Here is one of the better pictures I've ever taken, and one of the classiest watches I know of.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the tip. That is a really nice retrograde watch. I really wanted a retrograde, but since i'm starting out, i figured to start with the staples, like a chronograph.

Also, unfortunately, my wristis pretty big, so my choices are limited to > 40mm watches, especially if they have many complications.

Keep your eyes peeled on ChronoShark | The Watch Deal a Day Site | Watches for Sale | Buy Discount Watches they occasionally have a "big boy" sale that involves a $5000 ML selling for $1500. There are some killer deals that can be had. Here are my two. Maybe Dennis will share his!

Very hard to photograph. You'll see the details of the retrograde in one pictures and the glimmer of the sterling silver dial in the other.

Here is one of the better pictures I've ever taken, and one of the classiest watches I know of.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the retrograde. The size on the Retrograde is 43mm I think.

You know... As much as chronographs are staples, I have yet to buy or consider owning one. I like the IWC double chronos, but the three don't look good to me.

Get some pictures up bud!

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
You should have no problem finding a 40 mm or larger ML. The Masterpiece series is either 40 or 43 mm wide without including the crown.

As requested, here's my old one - #6 of 100:

·
Banned
3,656 Posts
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm a bit excited about the start to a new hobby and thank you all for such wonderful insight I've had a chance to read in the past week. I've spent many a nights up late reading so much.

I'm in a position to buy a watch and a few are limited editions. Would there be a rhyme or reason on choosing a certain serial number over another? Is number 42 better than 68? Aside from any personal sentimental numbers that is.

Thanks!
Hi
And welcome to the forums
42 over 68 = NO difference

0 = Is usually kept by manufacturer maybe 1 as well
There after take what suits you
I like 007

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks for the tip. That is a really nice retrograde watch. I really wanted a retrograde, but since i'm starting out, i figured to start with the staples, like a chronograph.

Also, unfortunately, my wristis pretty big, so my choices are limited to > 40mm watches, especially if they have many complications.
You've got it all wrong! small wrists are the curse that keeps you from wearing big watches. Big watches are what's in style right now, so unless you're going purely vintage, most modern watches are in the 38+ mm range. That won't look too small unless you're andre the giant or something.

also, don't limit yourself on complications, etc. go out and try on all different styles and sizes and see what really appeals to you when you see it on your wrist. just because you're a beginner doesn't mean you shouldn't consider any flavor of complication. go for what YOU like, YOU have to wear it!

Take care and good luck!

Kevin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great food for though. I feel like I'm at a buffet of information on watches b

Aside from Lum-Tec and Bremont, do you know any other companies make tungsten or other high strength durable watches?

·
Super Moderator
15,495 Posts
For the best selection, go to the watch section of Amazon and just type in "tungsten".:wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts