Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all,

Ok so some pretty deep conversations with... Ok let's just say some folks who have intrest in the Rolex that the Revolutionary was wearing :scared:. Has anyone ever heard anything about his belongings after his death which took place in 1967? Maybe Sotherbys or another auction house has sold them, or maybe they are treasures that could be found?:wink:

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
I've seen several photos of him wearing the watch, but never seen or heard of what happened to the watch.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Hey, thanks Hannes I didn't know that..:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Do you also know what Fidel wears (was wearing that time)?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Somewhat ironic that two notorious revolutionaries for communism would choose to wear symbols of capitolism, but not unbelievable. I suppose even communistas want an accurate, dependable time piece so as not to be late to the next...um...get together. Still, it would be an interesting piece of history to have.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mario Teran executed Guevara after his capture in Bolivia, I have read rumors that some of his belongings, including his rolex, were taken by Teran and given to Felix Rodriguez who was a CIA agent.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the correction Hannes, my buddies do not really know what he had on:lol:. They just want to collect it, and of course they did say it was a Sub :lol: but I will let them know.

Here is a tidbit, most of my biddies who work in GS (Government Service) wear Rolex and so do thier wives. After many years of collecting myself, I have never worn any other brand more than Rolex. The Guevara conversation was sparked after someone asked why a cuban cigar was soo good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well, regardless whether they wore GMT's or Submariners, they obviously respected the Rolex brand. A reputation for reliable timekeeping gets around!:001_smile:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I guess it should come as no surprise to me that Guevara, the deranged misfit that he was, didn't even know how to properly light a cigar.

As for communists, they have always had the same tastes as capitalists, they just want those things for themselves at the expense of the masses.

If Guevara's watch ever came into my possession, I would publicly destroy it in the most spectacular manner practicable.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Mario Teran executed Guevara after his capture in Bolivia, I have read rumors that some of his belongings, including his rolex, were taken by Teran and given to Felix Rodriguez who was a CIA agent.
I've read the same thing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Everyone,

I know it is a touchy subject but hey I am just a collector:cool1:. I will pass on the names of those who may have it or knowlege as to their whereabouts.

·
Registered
634 Posts
The Guevara conversation was sparked after someone asked why a cuban cigar was soo good. :thumbup:
Here's my take on the subject (just to stir the pot a bit). From the research I've done, the superior (modern) Cuban cigar is largely a myth, carried over from pre 1958 when they actually were unrivaled. After the late fifties the soil in Cuba was virtually raped and pillaged by Castro's push for sugar cane.

The ex-pats that made it out, took seed, knowledge, skills, etc. to places like the Dominican Republic and Honduras. Those are the places that now make the finest cigars. It's not particularly Cuba that makes the best, but rather "Cubans" that have preserved the cultivation and craft of fine cigar making in various countries.

Anyone out there a cigar lover, confirm or deny?

·
Registered
646 Posts

I like to enjoy a few aroung this time of year, especially with a good scotch. It's usually to warm to enjoy one any other time of year here in AZ, unless I'm playing golf.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If Guevara's watch ever came into my possession, I would publicly destroy it in the most spectacular manner practicable.
That would probably be worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Here's my take on the subject (just to stir the pot a bit). From the research I've done, the superior (modern) Cuban cigar is largely a myth, carried over from pre 1958 when they actually were unrivaled. After the late fifties the soil in Cuba was virtually raped and pillaged by Castro's push for sugar cane.

This is true for the most part; in fact, side by side, most would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a Cuban-grown cigar and a Dominican Republic grown cigar.

HOWEVER: if you go to a HAVANA cigar, there most certainly IS a difference in the flavor, smoothness and overall body of the smoke, not found anywhere else, even within the borders of Cuba.

I had determined years ago that the DR cigars were just as good as Cubans, but then I got into the Havana, Cuba offerings, and have never looked back...

I do wonder what will become of Cuba once Castro dies, as I predict the US will make it a McResort and destroy all the culture and uniqueness of the beautiful country.:sad:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I wouldn't advocate destroying Che's Rolex!!! Doing so would put you in the worst league book burners, zealots, and others that try to manipulate history because THEY didn't care for it. Come on, Grady is that you? If trivial and frivilous items like Archie Bunker's chair and Fonzie's jacket get floor space at the Smithsonian, why not Che or Castro's watch? Surely, it deserves a place along side other significant historical artifacts simply because it represents a person, place, and time that was once significant.

Oh, and I agree that Cuban cigars are grossly overrated. They *might* be competitive at 1/2 the price. The secret of cigar aging and construction is out of the bag. Cuban exiles and persons of Cuban descent like Fuente, Nestor, and Padron have taken this knowledge to the Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Nicaragua.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.