WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just pulled the trigger on a Chase Durer WarHawk Pilot watch OTV. It's actually my Christmas present from the family.

50mm Titanium Case, Swiss Made, Unitas 6498 mechanical mov't, K1 Dome Crystal, Anti-Glare Coating, Leather strap. I saved $80 with a coupon.

I've always loved the IWC big pilot watch and this is about as close as I'm going to get. I noticed that Debaufré sells one like it.

Thank God for Value Pays because my car broke down and I'm $2,200 in the hole on that, so I'm lucky Santa is visiting at all.

The name on this watch is WarHawk. It seems to be a bit on the antagonistic side and I'm not sure if I like that name on a watch. I know it's a military pilot-style watch, but even the real McCoys didn't have names like that on them. There's a Hamilton pilot style on the same site, with the Unitas mov't, but it's not the same style. It's kind of boring looking.

Here's my question: WOULD IT BOTHER YOU TO HAVE THE NAME WARHAWK ON THE DIAL OF YOUR WATCH??

Image courtesy of ShopNBC.com

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Hey all,
Here's my question: WOULD IT BOTHER YOU TO HAVE THE NAME WARHAWK ON THE DIAL OF YOUR WATCH??
Hell no!

I like that name.

What objection could any rational person make against it?

What would be better?

Baby seal?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! That's pretty funny!

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
Very nice looking hommage to the IWC and 4mm bigger!!

Way too big for me but I like the design.

The name is up to you to decide upon.
If you don't agree with it's associations there are similar alternatives.

(it could be worse-at least it's not a Sea Spider!!!:confused1::confused1:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would not say it is a hommage to IWC, but to all five brands that made the German pilot watches. (IWC, A.Lange & Sohne, Stowa, Laco, Wempe)

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
It's a name with historic and heroic associations: The P40 Warhawk, famous as the plane used by the Flying Tigers in China before the U.S. formally entered WWII, if my memory serves.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Home Page Restoration Projects Exhibits Gift Shop
Membership Fun Stuff

About WEAM

Search

P-40 Warhawk

When the United States entered WWII (December 1941) the P-40 was a front line fighter for the Army Air Corps. It was not an outstanding performer and was inferior to some enemy fighters. However, the P-40 was rugged and reliable and was used in all theaters throughout the war for a variety of purposes. The airplane is best known for its operation with General Claire Chennault’s "Flying Tigers." The museum’s P-40 served with the "23rd Fighter Group" in China. Close to 15,000 were built for service in WWII. The greatest proportion of these went to allied nations under "lend-lease" agreements.

Also, check out these movies and/or sounds!
p40.qt P40.AVI p40.wav

back to Aircraft On Display index

About Us
Exhibits
Restoration Membership
Fun Stuff
Guestbook Gift Shop
Facility Rental
Links Directions
Search

©2001 War Eagles Air Museum Website donated by Art Works Studio

My memory was correct...

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I found some info on it. At least it's a reference to an airplane that was instrumental in the fight of WWII. It's the planes that have the shark teeth/mouth painted on the front of them.

"When the United States entered WWII (December 1941) the P-40 was a front line fighter for the Army Air Corps. It was not an outstanding performer and was inferior to some enemy fighters. However, the P-40 was rugged and reliable and was used in all theaters throughout the war for a variety of purposes. The airplane is best known for its operation with General Claire Chennault’s "Flying Tigers." The museum’s P-40 served with the "23rd Fighter Group" in China. Close to 15,000 were built for service in WWII. The greatest proportion of these went to allied nations under "lend-lease" agreements."
Taken from www.war-eagles-air-museum.com

I feel better about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts