WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I was at an AD today picking up my wife's new watch. It is a sweet ladies DJ with black MOP dial and roman numerals. Anyway, the salesman (who is no slouch -- he tends to know his stuff) told me that you should always change the date wheel only when the hour and minute hands are BOTH between 3 and 9. He said there was the potential for grinding the gears if the hands were not between 3 and 9. He said he does this for all Rolex.

This was news to me. No one had told me this and I don't remember reading it anywhere. Can anyone concur? :001_unsure:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Humm, interesting. I have read not to change date between 9 pm and 3 am, but never anything about the hands position.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Hi Mr Bullandvodka,

By saying "between 3 and 9" I am guessing that you mean both hands have to be in the lower part of the dial.

This contradicts everything I have ever read about date changing on a mechanical movement watch.

I always change the dates on my watches with the hands both facing upwards (usually set to 12 noon).

The common rule I have heard is the one which Mr Symtech has quoted: "The date should not be changed with the hands indicating times between 9pm and 3am".

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
I have heard the same as Tricky Dicky; but, I have not heard this for Rolex. I was always under the impression it does not matter what time the date is changed.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
416 Posts
There are several automatic watches (usually ones with moon phase complications) which have movements which require you to be careful about when you adjust the date. I don't believe this is true of any Rolex watches/movements, at least that I know about. If there is such a restriction, it would be listed in the manual the watch came with. So it is good to be careful of course, because some movements do have restrictions like this, but if this is not mentioned in the manual, you are likely OK and don't have to worry about it. I think most Rolex have the "quick-set" date feature, which means you can pull out the crown a notch or two and adjust the date quickly. Some of the movements I am familiar with which do have a "restriction" like this normally have instructions to avoid adjustments from "9 to 12" but this depends on the complication. Since the movements are mechanical, and since there are times when the gears on certain features engage, there are times when adjusting the watch would damage the gears--so on certain watches/movements, you do have to be careful. Where this is common, the watch often will have a moon phase complication, but this is not always the case. Still, I am not aware of any Rolex which has this restriction, but it would always be best to consult the manual for that specific movement.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You can change the date on a modern Rolex (post 1977) anytime without damage. It's one of the few mechanical watches designed this way.

For many mechanical movements, the date mechanism (wheels and pinions) begin to engage at about 9 pm and finish disengaging at about 3 am, so to change the date between then may do some damage.. (Omega, for example, warns about this in their booklet on most calibers but not on others, The 1120 SMP says "not recommended", the 1861 Speedy has no warning)

I believe that the salesman stating that "both" hands need to be there is just a convenient way to remember...hands up - don't change, hands down - change. And he applies this "knowledge" to all mechanicals..

:cool1:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I'm sorry. More correctly stated, the hands should both be within the lower portion of the dial (more than 3, but less than 9). Thanks for the tips guys.

So can we chalk this one up to a precautionary wives' tale, or is this something we should pay attention to when changing the date?

·
Registered
56 Posts
It sounds to me like it's wholly dependent on the watch, per LarryD's post. I don't recall seeing anything in my GMT IIc's manual warning about this.

·
Premium Member
24,978 Posts
You can change the date on a modern Rolex (post 1977) anytime without damage. It's one of the few mechanical watches designed this way.

For many mechanical movements, the date mechanism (wheels and pinions) begin to engage at about 9 pm and finish disengaging at about 3 am, so to change the date between then may do some damage.. (Omega, for example, warns about this in their booklet on most calibers but not on others, The 1120 SMP says "not recommended", the 1861 Speedy has no warning)

I believe that the salesman stating that "both" hands need to be there is just a convenient way to remember...hands up - don't change, hands down - change. And he applies this "knowledge" to all mechanicals..

:cool1:
Larry is quite correct. It is also my understanding that you can change the date on a Rolex regardless of the time. :thumbup1:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts