WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my watch the date is moving to the next day when the minute hand is 5 minutes before 12, is this normal? or should i have to send the watch to be checked? can someone help me ??

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Hello George

A warm welcome to WTF and OMEGALand. Glad you found us here.

Yes that is perfectly fine. Watches change their dates over a given period, not necessarily on the dot at 12 midnight.

Here's an explanation from Chronocentric with an uplifting final paragraph to allay your concerns

There are two major ways a mechanical date window changes on a watch. So the answer to this question depends on which type you have. This applies to any watch, mechanical, automatic or quartz, where the date window is implemented as a mechanical function instead of an electronic display.

Watches with slow date change have the date roll over very slowly. Sometimes these watches may take one to four hours for the date to completely roll over. This is perfectly normal for many watches. Though it can be confusing if you are awake between 11:00 PM and 3:00 AM and want to be certain what date it is.

Watches with rapid change date have the date window rollover very fast--often within a fraction of a second. This is a more precise way of displaying the date, but requires a more complicated mechanism. Having the precise time that this rapid change occurs be off from midnight is a common issue. Rapid date change watches usually come from the factory set for the date change to within 10 minutes of midnight. But it is not unusual for this to get further out of adjustment over time from one of several causes.

It is possible that a shock to the watch right around the date change can throw the mechanism off. The more common causes are from the owner manually changing the date within three or four hours either side of midnight, or setting the time backwards across midnight. The frequency that this problem occurs makes it disconcerting that few watch makers provide warnings about this in their instruction manuals. What happens is that if you alter the date setting while the date change gear is near to pushing the date forward, you may push the mechanism slightly out of alignment. This seldom causes any real damage, though it can. Most often, it will shift the time that the date change occurs--usually further from midnight.

The good news is that this is easily corrected when the watch is being serviced. Simply mention the date change is off when you send the watch in for its routine cleaning or other service.

Hope you'll have an opportunity to have a look at the discussions we have here and indeed in the resource section where we have a wealth of archived material, much of which is sourced from the Omega Press Room :001_smile:

Looking forward to more chats with you.

Enjoy your day

ZIN

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello George

A warm welcome to WTF and OMEGALand. Glad you found us here.

Yes that is perfectly fine. Watches change their dates over a given period, not necessarily on the dot at 12 midnight.

Here's an explanation from Chronocentric with an uplifting final paragraph to allay your concerns

There are two major ways a mechanical date window changes on a watch. So the answer to this question depends on which type you have. This applies to any watch, mechanical, automatic or quartz, where the date window is implemented as a mechanical function instead of an electronic display.

Watches with slow date change have the date roll over very slowly. Sometimes these watches may take one to four hours for the date to completely roll over. This is perfectly normal for many watches. Though it can be confusing if you are awake between 11:00 PM and 3:00 AM and want to be certain what date it is.

Watches with rapid change date have the date window rollover very fast--often within a fraction of a second. This is a more precise way of displaying the date, but requires a more complicated mechanism. Having the precise time that this rapid change occurs be off from midnight is a common issue. Rapid date change watches usually come from the factory set for the date change to within 10 minutes of midnight. But it is not unusual for this to get further out of adjustment over time from one of several causes.

It is possible that a shock to the watch right around the date change can throw the mechanism off. The more common causes are from the owner manually changing the date within three or four hours either side of midnight, or setting the time backwards across midnight. The frequency that this problem occurs makes it disconcerting that few watch makers provide warnings about this in their instruction manuals. What happens is that if you alter the date setting while the date change gear is near to pushing the date forward, you may push the mechanism slightly out of alignment. This seldom causes any real damage, though it can. Most often, it will shift the time that the date change occurs--usually further from midnight.

The good news is that this is easily corrected when the watch is being serviced. Simply mention the date change is off when you send the watch in for its routine cleaning or other service.

Hope you'll have an opportunity to have a look at the discussions we have here and indeed in the resource section where we have a wealth of archived material, much of which is sourced from the Omega Press Room :001_smile:

Looking forward to more chats with you.

Enjoy your day

ZIN

Thanks very much for your help.

I'm very happy to find help in this forum.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Just keep dropping in on a daily basis my friend. As you know we'd love to share the fun and talk with you here in OMEGALand :thumbup:

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yea George, you are good. Mine starts changing at around 20 til and completely turns over at about 2 minuts til. Like Houston has posted, this sort of mechanism is very complicated and I have come to appreciate it in this piece. Don't you love this watch or what? I love how heavy and solid it feels on the wrist and the clasp gives it an even greater sense of security like it will never leave your wrist. I also love the generously applied SuperLuminova to all of the hands and hour markers. It really lights up brightly even when I walk down say a dimly lit corridor. This combined with the anti-reflective (AR) coating on either sides of the crystal really gives an overall fine experience for the owner when he/she takes a glance down at the dial. I feel like I'm wearing a watch two or three times the price tag, it's really great.
One other thing about this piece that I must note is that when I first purchased this watch it seemed a bit more understated than it apparently is. I often get envious stares and sometimes it makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Perhaps its the way the light bounces off the sateen bracelet or the way the orange second hand gently sweeps over the matt-black dial. I think it just exudes a sense of wealth that sometimes may give off the wrong idea. Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Every one of my watches, past and present, switched dates at a different time. One didn't make the complete changeover until 1:30 A.M.
As long as it works, don't worry about it. Anyway, most people (except me) aren't even up that late to notice when the date changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts