WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a dumb question, but I've always being intrigued by the serial numbers on the back of the case. Do the numbers start at 00000001 for the first watch? How did they determine when and how it was reset? Who has the records of all those numbers/letters and what it all means? What is the point of it? To give them an air of exclusivity? A reference point for future servicing/repairs?

Is an M0 Alpha more desirable the lower the case number??

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just had a close look at the back of my Woody. It is an N0, serial no C69503. The 'C' is a different stamp to the numbers. Not as deep. It looks like the case came out with the 'C' on it and the numbers were stamped later.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but I've always being intrigued by the serial numbers on the back of the case. Do the numbers start at 00000001 for the first watch? How did they determine when and how it was reset? Who has the records of all those numbers/letters and what it all means? What is the point of it? To give them an air of exclusivity? A reference point for future servicing/repairs?

Is an M0 Alpha more desirable the lower the case number??
From all I have read, the Bulova serial numbers are of no value to us collectors. As fa as I know, there aren't any records available pertaining to the Accutron serial numbers. I would suppose a lower serial number in a particular year and model might be of greater value but I don't remember seeing that discussed. Inside the case back we can often find a date stamp giving us some idea of when during that year the case was produced or is is when the mvt. was cased. Not really clear on that one.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The reason for the date code not being the same as the case to movement is simple. Bulova watch company produced millions of movements that went into different style, different metals cases all selling to the public with the same caliber movement inside.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.