WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Cartier Roadster or IWC Portofino Chrono..trying to decide

7K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Wombat 
#1 ·
Hello all. Any input would be appreciated as I'm trying to come to a conclusion on which to get (or receive rather) as a wedding present.

Im open to other ideas, but I seem to like these two the best and don't want to go the Rolex, Panerai route. I really like the styling of both. I'm looking at the Roadster large size non-chrono with black face.

#7 ·
Never understood the cult following of the Roadster, so the Portofino is a slam-dunk for me.

Reactions: muttley
#8 ·
I like the IWC.

#12 ·
Saying "it's a Sellita movement" is a oversimplifying it a tad. The IWC 35110 is based on the Sellita 300, but they've taken it apart and reworked it to their own specifications. Whether one likes the idea or not, doing so costs the consumer money.
Why arun21 likes it is his concern. All we can do is answer questions and suggest alternatives. Personally, I can't understand why anyone would go for a watch with a diameter greater than 42mm but I've never dissuaded anyone from getting such a watch based on that factor alone. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#19 ·
Saying "it's a Sellita movement" is a oversimplifying it a tad. The IWC 35110 is based on the Sellita 300, but they've taken it apart and reworked it to their own specifications. Whether one likes the idea or not, doing so costs the consumer money.
Fair enough, but they are charging pure manufacture money, not "modified stock" money ... And especially when the base movement isn't really anything special to start with.

The two watches are so different it's hard to tell what the OP is looking for, but appears budget might be $5k:
IWC Ingenieur Vintage
JLC Reverso
JLC Master Control
Longines Master Retrograde
Longines Column Wheel
And on and on and on ...

#14 ·
The Roadster is one of those 'signature' watches that you can spot from 50 feet. In real life they have an amazing presence. Huge on style. If you get an IWC, only you know it's a great watch. The couple eating at the next table think you are wearing a Casio. We say we don't wear watches to please anyone but ourselves, but it is always sort of nice when somebody else notices.

#15 ·
We say we don't wear watches to please anyone but ourselves, but it is always sort of nice when somebody else notices.
Yeah, like the pair of thugs with ski masks and .38's, right? :eek:hmy:

I'll keep my under-the-radar watches, thankyouverymuch. :wink: I like being in the WIS secret society. All the people looking for recognition can Rolex and Cartier themselves til they're giddy. :laugh:

#28 · (Edited)
Now wait a minute......

I have no problem with a brand like Cartier at all. In fact, I'd own a classic tank in a heartbeat. I'm also aware of the Calibre de Cartier. And to top that, I have owned and currently own some "jewelry" brands like Tiffany and Piaget. I just don't think the Cartier model in this particular comparison is a better watch, better value, or better looking than the IWC.

#29 ·
I just wanted to point out that Cartier is much more than a "woman's" brand or a "fashion" watch. They have some very sound engineering going on these days. As for the Roadster, I still think it is a very good looking watch if you like lots of stainless as I do!! :001_rolleyes:

#32 ·
And there are those who say Cartier was the first to design and then market a true men's wrist watch. So the story goes, Brazilian aviator Alberto Santos-Dumont needed a watch he could wear on his wrist while flying. In 1904 he called on his friend Louis Cartier to design such a watch, and so was born what would eventually be known as The Cartier Santos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.