WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Combat B9 with carbon face and the double AR which is blue hued. There are fine scratches in the coating so I am considering stripping the coating off.

Keen to hear if anyone has done this with a carbon faced Combat or any other carbon LT and if you were happy with the result. Pics even better! :001_tongue:

IMHO the blue just seems to take some of the character away from the carbon look.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I haven't done it yet but I'm going to remove it from my M20. I like it on my M26 but it doesn't go with the M20's CF dial.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I haven't done it yet but I'm going to remove it from my M20. I like it on my M26 but it doesn't go with the M20's CF dial.
Please post some before and after pics. I have an M24. So far, I think I'm OK with the external AR, but you never know...

·
Registered
750 Posts
I may want to do an M24; exactly what is best way or how did you do it? Nice job btw!
The following is what Chris suggested I try when I asked him about removing the top layer AR coating on my M25's sapphire crystal. I've yet to buy/borrow a dremel and work up the courage to give this a go myself, even though I know of all the watches in Lum-Tec's collection the tungsten carbide models would be the easiest (less risky) to try this on.

"I suggest get a dremel, felt tip, and green rouge bar, or some mothers aluminum polish and try it yourself first as its very simple but time consuming an messy."

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I used M.A.A.S. Metal Polish to take the AR of my tungsten M38 custom. Black n' Decker Wizard set on low did the trick. Took about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
"I suggest get a dremel, felt tip, and green rouge bar, or some mothers aluminum polish and try it yourself first as its very simple but time consuming an messy."
This is what I did. It took a lot of pressure to get all of the coating off, but it's relatively easy to do. Tape off your bezel with some electrical tape if you're worried about scratching the PVD.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I used MAAS metal polish and an old Oral-B electric toothbrush and it turned out well. But you'll need to mask off the bezel. I'd recommend a Dremel tool but I don't have one and was looking for a field expedient method and it turned out great, except that I slightly polished the bezel on my M9, but I like it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have removed AR in the past. It was very simple. Just a cloth and some polish. Took about 2 minutes buffing by hand. I used "Polywatch", a polish made for polishing plastic watch crystals. I also figured since it was made for watches it would be safest to use. I'm paranoid about chemicals harming my crystal seals and watch gaskets.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If it isn't a stupid question why would you want to remove this coating, is it not there to stop the light reflecting off the glass thus making it easier to read the time?

·
Registered
750 Posts
If it isn't a stupid question why would you want to remove this coating, is it not there to stop the light reflecting off the glass thus making it easier to read the time?
The AR coating LUM-TEC uses has gotten "better" in recent years (read: less purplish-blue hue, sometimes no purplish-blue hue whatsoever like on the SuperCombat series), but the one they used to use gave off a very distinct purplish-blue hue at certain viewing angles and lighting conditions that wasn't to everyone's taste. Just personal preference. The outer layer AR coating is also susceptible to scratches, which was the case with the OP's LT. Removing the AR coating all together is an easy solution if the scratches start to be annoying because these fine scratches more often than not only effect the AR coating as it is nowhere near as hard as the sapphire crystal underneath.

LT uses a double-sided AR coating on most of their models anyway; obviously having both the outer and inner layer AR coating would be most effective, but I've never had an issue reading the time with any of the LT's I've performed this modification to.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Here is the purple hue from the AR that Andrew was describing above. I eventually took the outer AR off this watch with metal polish.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I curious as to whether its the number of AR coating or is it the type used because some companies claim to use up to 9 layers of the stuff.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I ordered my M24 with no AR on the outside. But I did strip the AR off 2 other watches with no dremel. Basically I used windex and elbow grease and did it quite a few times until that greasy purple oil slick look wasn't there anymore. The best part is that it still reflects that purple dot even though you cant see the AR anymore.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts