WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a number of boxes of watches, junk tools etc, from a old watchmakers shop that has been closed for 30 years, they finally decided to clear the shop out!. going through have found some interesting watches so far, this was one that had been set aside and packed separately, watch is in far better condition than looks in photo, running, case great shape, movement super clean, has had very light use before storing,
Any more info on this?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Yep, it originally belonged to Lloyd Bridges (Sea Hunt) fame and was brought into your watchmakers for a clean, oil, and adjust when the poor watchmaker tragically passed away. I contacted the family and they really want their watch back!

Just Kidding............

Post some pics of the case back and movement when you can and we'll try to help, maybe not, who knows.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That will have a Caravelle 11DP, probably the 17 jewel version. It's a good reliable movement with direct sweep seconds. The set bridges tend to break, probably from lack of lube, definitely have it serviced before using it.
The shock protection is specific to Caravelles, a little weird and hard to manipulate and oil.

·
Super Moderator
15,636 Posts
My God...I didn't think there was anyone else still alive that remembers Sea Hunt !

Bulova introduced the Caravell line of watches as an "affordable" alternative to a standard Bulova in 1962 (back when it was still legal for a manufacturer to claim their watches were "WATERPROOF" . While Bulova movements were assembled in Switzerland and then shipped to the US, Caravelle's mechanical movements came from several sources, many in the Far East (an closer examination of the movement may or may not elicit more information about its manufacture) . They were, however, very well made. They came with 3 year warranties, when the industry standard was only 2 years. Bulova was also s little more adventurous and liberal with Caravelle's styling. Yours, for instance is styled to resemble a professional diver's watch, though it is certainly was not intended to be used for that purpose.
Except for trying to appeal to a newer generation of Bulova owners, there was nothing remarkable about the Caravelle. But keep it well-maintained and there's no reason why it can't keep on delivering years of good service.

Here's a snapshot of MY Caravelle. Sorry about the glare between the 9 and the 10! You can see mine is a slightly later model than yours, as it says "WATER RESISTANT'' instead if ''WATERPROOF''.

Reactions: oliverb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
trying to find another online in similar condition, the ones I find are later models, or same model but very poor condition, bezels, hands, dial missing lume etc, not sure if we discuss the value on this boards or not so will wait.
Also have a real nice bulova 666 feet Valjoux movement will start new thread on.

·
Super Moderator
15,636 Posts
If you're not finding what you want, you'll just have to be patient! That's one of the problems with seeking vintage watches. There's a watch I've been looking for for the past eleven years, and I haven't seen one yet in ANY condition!

As for a watches value: As clearly stated in our RULES OF CONDUCT, WTF will not perform evaluations on any watch.
BUT....we have no problems whatever with talking about a watch's worth in general terms.
The fastest way to find a value is to log onto eBay> Advanced Search> enter your key word(s)> sold or completed listings> Search. This will let you know what other collectors are willing to pay for a given watch.
Exercise a modicum of caution and remember: Some people get stupid with spending money: If the Hamilton Darwin.....
is super-popular with the guys on WTF (it's not BTW, this is just an example :) ) , and I want to be cool like they are, I may wind up spending $400 - $500 on a $250 watch just so I can have one too. Just be aware of a watch's perceived value as opposed to its intrinsic value.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Those Sea Hunter dials are interesting. I just picked one up for (well) under $500.

Similar to yours. I was in negotiations about another different watch, similar dial, 12, 3, 6, 9 with a lollipop hand and faded bezel. Seller wanted to trade way over its value. I see them listing at $1000-$1500, without original bracelet, no service, etc. however… I DO NOT see them sell at that price point. Bubble? Possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Taylor,
Do you have photo of caseback and if you are comfortable doing so movement? the $1000+ watches are all original with the early Japan models, as shown on dial and balance cock,.
you may have over paid for yours, has a poorly refinished dial, (may or may not have had the "T Japan T" at six on dial) no doubt leaked as some point and dial re finished, bezel I am sure someone can comment more but looks questionable, new crystal and insert.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Taylor,
Do you have photo of caseback and if you are comfortable doing so movement? the $1000+ watches are all original with the early Japan models, as shown on dial and balance cock,.
you may have over paid for yours, has a poorly refinished dial, (may or may not have had the "T Japan T" at six on dial) no doubt leaked as some point and dial re finished, bezel I am sure someone can comment more but looks questionable, new crystal and insert.

School me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts

Here's a Caravelle M9 that I have that has an A. Schild movement and is made to dive with. The crown has double o-rings and the crystal is thicker than usual.
Samantha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts