WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I took a chance on this watch in a car boot. It was inside a 20 quid box of mostly junk. It's a Seamaster Cosmic 166026. I haven't found one with a similar face, but the mark to the right of the date, and the not perfect hands make me think it hasn't been refurbished.

Could i ask as favour from a newbie that you learned folk take a look and see what you think? I've attached a couple of pictures. I'm not able to get a picture of the movement as i can't remove the crystal.

Many thanks.

photo-1.jpg photo.jpg photo-3.jpg

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
That's either an extremely good fake or the real deal. Seeing that fakes usually don't get all the details right, I'd say you did very well. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
287 Posts
If it's real, then you scored! Take it to a reputable jeweler and see if it's real or not. Take pics when they open they case ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wil take it to a jewellers and see about getting some photos of the movement. I'd like to change the strap too. The brown it has on was "borrowed" from another watch.

It has run reliably through the night, so the movement seems to be working OK. I think it's gaining about 60 seconds a day, and the crown feels a bit wobbly when pulled out from 1st to 2nd position It has a quickset date function when you pull the crown from 2nd to 3rd position.

I'll come back with more information once I know it, but if anyone has any thoughts in the meantime, I'd be interested to hear them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I once got a gold Omega constellation for a dime($0.10 USD) at a yard sale. It was apparetly real as I was able to sell it for scrap gold(watch didn't run and couldn't afford to take it to a watchmaker...)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I once got a gold Omega constellation for a dime($0.10 USD) at a yard sale. It was apparetly real as I was able to sell it for scrap gold(watch didn't run and couldn't afford to take it to a watchmaker...)
Right now I'm more pleased with the lamp that was in with the watch. It is still working, and the watch isn't. I rather like the watch, so I'll definitely see if I can have it repaired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I took the watch to the jewellers and he said it was a good clean example with all parts genuine and original, with a serial number dating it to 1970. I haven't seen one with the same face, but if he says it's genuine, I trust him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts