WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so Ive read most everywhere that these cape cod cloths are the best thing to use on polished stainless... yet I am still very hesitant. I want something I can use to polish the bezel on my Hammy, but the scratches that exist there are very light. VERY light. They are all hairline, and I assume they are from coarse threads inside my shirts, or who knows! But regardless, I worry that using a polishing cloth on such light scratches will only scratch it further. I think of a polishing cloth with abrasive material on it as something you use when you want to take out more serious stuff. But I suspect Im wrong, since everyone swears by these things...

Point is, Id like to know if these will return my bezel to near new status; mirror finish.

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
2,511 Posts
Hi Mr. Fish,
I use Cape cod polishing on my watches and have found that they work very well on fine scratches,they can even polish brushed metal.
They have a pleasant vanilla scent,no toxic fumes.Don't worry about abrasion,the cloths are moist and seem to have a smooth texture.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
I concure with Larry. They won't scratch the watch up. They will give you a high gloss finish. it will probably not be 100% as it was new, but the best you can get without a jeweler IMO... To get a mirror like finish, you'll want a polishing wheel & the proper rouge.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
J Fish,

I think many of us ordered a tin or a package and then got everything out and ready on the kitchen table. Then there was maybe 20 minutes of indecision while we sat and wondered just how bad a hack job we'd do to our watches. Maybe with a little intrepidation, we decided we'd start with that old casio or seiko beater (I offered to "clean" my wife's crappy old Guess? watch ;-). When the sacrificial canary watch come out pretty good, we then might have started with clasp on one of our proper watches. Buy now we'd realized that if we went slow, played attention, and taped off the brushed bits, we'd get a good outcome. Flash forward 2 hours and all your watches are good as new and we all wondered why we were so apprehensive about it in the first place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are all of the cape cod cloths sold the same? I was looking at picking up a tin of 12 and wanted to know it there are different ones. I see quites a price swing for what looks to be the same product. I have also seen the two packs on the bay listed for different brands of watches. I just wanted to make sure, The best price I have seen is on Amazon.com.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Are all of the cape cod cloths sold the same? I was looking at picking up a tin of 12 and wanted to know it there are different ones. I see quites a price swing for what looks to be the same product. I have also seen the two packs on the bay listed for different brands of watches. I just wanted to make sure, The best price I have seen is on Amazon.com.
Thanks
To my knowledge there are 2 ways to buy it. They are both the same. One way is to buy it separate (individual packs, you get like 2). The second way is the Tin can which comes with 12, a pair of gloves, and a buffing cloth.

I have used the product on the center links which I had a few scratches. In the beginning these scratches were visible from a near distance. After the use of this product they were visible only at an extreme close up distance. It works to a certain degree. One thing is for sure, it is way cheaper than taking to a jeweler.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Simichrome is good, I use it alot - let me rephrase that - I use this stuff sparingly as it doesn't take much to accomplish good results

I also use some of the Meguiars automotive polishes such as PlastX, intended for plastic surfaces but I find that it works good for some small touch ups ( ironic that I'm posting a blurry pic of a product that claims to remove cloudiness - LOL)

I expiriemnt with this stuff too - works great on aluminum

I has access to several different diamond polishing compounds and don't tempt to use them on the finer pieces.
gesswinn (sp?) grades abrasiveness by color, they have several colors, heres a tube of yellow (fine grit if I remember correctly?)

rouge and cotton buffing wheels remove the scratches best - but then really want to dismantle all components before using buffing wheel

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up using 3m micron sand paper. The highest grit being 8,000. It worked GREAT. My jeweler buddy told me its the best way to do abrasion polishing. Better than rouge, compound etc. He said the only way to get a better polish would be to tumble the whole case and rebrush what was brushed, so I passed on that option haha.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have used Cape Cod in the past with good results. I was just wondering if there were different grades because of the advertising on the bay and the price difference. I ended up getting a tin of 12 cloths with the gloves and polishing cloth for $18.45 shipped. That was the best price I could find. I hear you could buy it at Ace Hardware and Bed Bath and Beyond. We do not have Ace hardware stores here so it was easier to purchase it on the bay. I had a package of two cloths that lasted over a year. They dried out, I tried adding a little vegetable oil but it did not work like when they were new. I got some light scratches on the side of my Breitling Super Avenger, The case is so thick it is hard not to knock it against something and get scratches. I do have a cotton dremel wheel and jewelers rouge, but I what to use the C.C. cloths first.
I have had good luck with the dremel tool on bracelets before, but I do not want to use it on a high end watch case. There is a difference between an Invicta bracelet vs. a Breitling watch case.....I want to start off slow and then work up to something more aggressive if needed.
I also worry about the magnetic field that the motor of the Dremel gives off and if it would effect the movement in the watch.:scared:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have used Cape Cod in the past with good results. I was just wondering if there were different grades because of the advertising on the bay and the price difference. I ended up getting a tin of 12 cloths with the gloves and polishing cloth for $18.45 shipped. That was the best price I could find. I hear you could buy it at Ace Hardware and Bed Bath and Beyond. We do not have Ace hardware stores here so it was easier to purchase it on the bay.
- Good deal on the Tin can, I got it for about the same price

- Most Ace stores don't have them, I checked, they would have to order it for you, so you did well by shopping online.

- I think they are all the same grade. Check their web site and you will see the same products. The difference in pricing that you see is probably different dealers trying to make a profit or different packaging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts