WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I read on the old WTF forum that Cape Cod polishing cloths were not to be used on brushed or satin finishes.

The question I have is - Will I be OK to clean my SD with the Cape Cod cloths as the last thing I want to do is ruin the finish/appearance? :confused1:

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eddo.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Only any part that is polished (which I believe is only the case sides). DO NOT use it on any brushed surface. It WILL change the appearance!

For the brushed surface you want to use a scotch brite or similar. I haven't done it & can't tell the exact item to use, but if you search the old Rolex forum for 'scotch brite' you'll probably find several tutorials on it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I don't have an SD myself, so I'm going off of memory.

Memory tells me that just about the only parts on the SD that are "polished" to a high-shine are the case sides, perhaps the bracelet sides, and the clasp inner-bits (where Rolex is stamped). Cleaning those parts with a Cape Cod Cloth would be ok, but the rest of the watch wouldn't take it well. You'd probably be better off cleaning the outside of the clasp (I'm guessing this needs the most work since that's where so many scratches occur), and perhaps other parts of the bracelet with a
GREEN AND YELLOW SCOTCHBRITE PAD.

Good luck!

PS: Good teamwork Scott!

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey Idrive.. I see you're adding more BMW props to your avatar & siggy... :thumbup1:

You know, you could shorten it & just say "What John wants".... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Classic........ That was hilarious!

Yes, I've started to add more M-division artwork given that it's now a lot easier to display this stuff on the board (whereas you had to link everything on the previous board). The direct upload is a blessing.
:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah you want a satin refinishing pad for any brushed or satin finish, scotchbrite is good and you can also buy them online at places like bostonwatchexchange.com. cape cod is for highly polished mirror like gloss finishes. the felt tip on a dremel also works for removing light scratches

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
This is interesting...... I clean my watch with a soft or extra soft toothbrush and shampoo and that seems to do the trick. So far, not nicks, scratches, etc. I do this about once a week. Sometimes once every two weeks due to CRS. What are people's thoughts on this?

BTW, I am not to concerned with scratches on the bracelet. I like to think of them as memories I put on there! :)

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
TF,

The toothbrush is a good option for cleaning & won't hurt anything. I've been using one for about 6 years with no issues. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I use a toothbrush for the hard to reach areas too. But, for general cleaning, it's just a mild soap, water, and my hands...

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Scott and Idrive....you guys are just hilarious.... :sneaky2::lol:

I'll have you know I'm perfectly content with my lowly 3-Series.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your replies guys, I thought I'd better check before cleaning the whole bracelet.

Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts