WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had did a Google search the other day on a simple way to buff out scuffs and scratches on stainless steel watches. Mostly I found threads that required powered devices, which I neither have and I'm pretty dismal with powered tools anyway:wink: Finally I come across a discussion (it might well have been here, or not), but there was a sizable chorus singing the praises of Cape Cod Polishing Cloths and their ability to "work" minor miracles on watches.

I ordered some ($14.49) and they came last night. While I don't have any before and after pictures, the two watches I buffed with the polishing clothes showed marked improvement. If I had to put a grade on the scratch reduction, I'd say around 97 to 98%:w00t: (Just a note, the user reviews were mostly from watch owners and they were very positive about the product. The consensus was that for minor scuffs and scratches, it excelled, but at some point, the scratches and gouges become too deep.

The first watch I tried it on was an Orient (Sapphire Sky). The back case around the exhibition window was scuffed badly. I think the guy who sized the bracelet did it because it wasn't there when I got it and I hadn't worn it more than a day when I noticed it. I used the polishing cloths, which are wet. I polished it for about 5 minutes and then dried it off with the included terry cloth. I was really surprised at how the scuffs were nearly gone. Only when I take off my glasses and hold it up close can I still some a trace or two of the original scratches.

Even though the scuffs were on the back case, it still kept me from wearing the watch--damaged goods and all that. It basically looks like new. Back to the rotation!

The other watch was an Invicta Diver with the SW-200 movement. Somehow, in the limited wear it gets, I got two long scratches along the side of the case. They were relatively deep. In this case, I rubbed them for 10 minutes and then buffed with the terry cloth. Once again, unless you hold the watch up to your eyes, you cannot see the scratches anymore.:thumbup:

I'm sure there are some drawbacks to this product and I'd be glad to hear them, but I must say, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Update, I actually do have a before picture of the scratch on the Invicta. If you can note, it is on the right hand side, two parallel scratches:

Here's the after:

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Yeah - talked here a couple times before about them. Invariably others will mention other products they've tried, but the CCCs always get nothing but positive comments. In fact I just bought my 3rd can of 'em not too long ago. The only thing I haven't tried yet is to see how re-usable they are.
Great product!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am very happy with this product for minor scratches and swirls but not for deeper scratches. For these I use 850 to 2000 grit wet and dry sandpaper and once out THEN I polish it back up with the CC cloth.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Hey guys, I've been using Cape Cods for years as well.

But a guy that just did up a former watch of mine to astounding results, recommended I try an alternate daily cloth that is more gentler than the Cape Cods.

This isn't a solicitation. Its from the strapmaker G.Stevens. He has his own special formula watch polishing cloths.

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Interesting. But at five bucks each, I'd like to know a little bit more about them first.

·
Registered
751 Posts
cape cod cloth, aka, 3C, contains the abrasive equivalent of toothpaste or comet cleaning powder. the intent is to eliminate tarnish and then leave behind an anti-tarnish film. for stainless steel this is moot. as for scratches--maybe someone could post before and after pictures or, better yet, get a piece of stainless steel and put in some scratches of varying degrees and do some research. personally i find micromesh 1200 does a great job of eliminating scratches and then 4000 to polish to a matte finish. micromesh 6000 then 8000 will leave a blinding shine. i have micromesh anyway and the stuff is definitely re-usable.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
That's some good stuff, Cape Cod cloths have always done a VG job.

Reminds me, the Old well known "Never Dull" Magic wadding Polish always worked well for me in the Military, nothing like it in the world!!!

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a similar cloth from my jeweler that is a "sunshine Cloth" which I believe is the same thing in a different tube...

Made in Japan so possibly better suited to Japanese made watches? (tongue in cheek)

·
Super Moderator
16,558 Posts
Reminds me, the Old well known "Never Dull" Magic wadding Polish always worked well for me in the Military, nothing like it in the world!!! Regards, Jim
That can was huge, too.
1 1/2 times the size of a CCC can, and packed solid! BTW...they still make it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.