WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here but I've been a lurker for quite a while. I recently decided that I was going to pony up and get a Lum Tec, but I can't decide on just one. I feel so conflicted because I want about 8 of them, but can only get one right now. At first I was sold on the M51 and was supposed to buy one at the same time as a friend did from Tom @ CGA Company (great guy, very patient and loves talking watches!), but I flaked out because I needed to see the M51 at first. My friend got his and I liked it but I felt like it was a little different than I thought it would be for some reason. I went back to the drawing board and was convinced on the M50. I was back and forth on the orange numbering because I'd really like to pair it with a darker brown custom strap vs. the light bright/orange strap that it comes with. I fought with myself and polled all of Facebook and decided I would move ahead with it. Then I talked to Tom and he mentioned the M49 which I had totally looked over. I realized that I loved it! I ran it by my wife and she agreed that she liked the M49 better than the M50 so I just knew I was all set to go...

Well, I ran into a guy who had an M series in tungsten and he let me try it on. What a mistake that was :wink:. I loved how substantial it felt on my wrist. It was weighty, but not too heavy even with the bracelet. I also loved the more polished look of the tungsten vs. the stainless or the PVD. So now I’m back at square one. Does anyone else understand my plight? I am being silly about this whole thing?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dont worry, your sickness is well understood here. The tungsten models are special pieces. If you've tried one on and liked it, a stainless one will never satisfy you! Go for it you won't regret it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm new here but I've been a lurker for quite a while. I recently decided that I was going to pony up and get a Lum Tec, but I can't decide on just one. I feel so conflicted because I want about 8 of them, but can only get one right now.........Does anyone else understand my plight?
Grasshopper...

The journey of a thousand Lüm-Tecs begins with a single Tungsten....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its great to know that I am not insane! :laugh: The issue is that I am working within a budget and most tungsten models are ever so slightly out of reach. My birthday is Tuesday and I wanted to have a present for myself by the end of the week (a watch). I almost feel self pressured into buying a M50, M51, M49, or V1. I'm trying to fight it and look at other options like buying used but that's not something I have ever done before and I'm sure it can be a bit nervous for the sell and buyer. :crying:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Does anyone else understand my plight? I am being silly about this whole thing?
Get a tungsten now that you still can!
They are awesome as you already have seen for yourself.
You will not regret it, there isn't much like them from anyone in the watch market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I ponied up and just closed a deal for a M24 from a board member here. I'm excited to get my first LT! :scared:

·
Registered
130 Posts
My first was the tungsten M20 which of course led to more LTs. The tungstens are watches with substantial feel, won't scratch and look great! Whatever you decide you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well I ponied up and just closed a deal for a M24 from a board member here. I'm excited to get my first LT! :scared:

Good man! Mind you, it's a slippery slope you are now on :laugh:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I started with the M50 and I still love it, especially since I got a Greg Stevens "Crazy Horse 3" strap (the perfect strap for it IMO), but I realized right away that it wasn't a watch for all occasions so I started plotting the purchase of a Tungsten for "dressing to impress". I ended up getting an M28, probably the most gorgeous watch Lum-Tec has made. Along the way I picked up a Super Combat B2, probably my favorite Lum-Tec now, for a little variety for casual wear. My point is, you will need more than one for different occasions, so plan and flip accordingly.

My strategy is to study as many watches as possible as carefully as possible...and then buy on impulse.:drool:
I'd love to have a M28. It's what I really wanted, i'd have settled for a M26 as well, but it wasn't in the budget. I am already plotting my next purchase and I'm getting rid of some of my lower end pieces to make room. My wife made a snarky, half serious comment about my watch obession and I told her i'd be happy to trade her in for a Hublot... She didn't think it was funny :lol:

Any pictures of the M50 on that strap?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Bet ya can't buy just one.....

Watch collecting has little to do with budgets, sanity, reality, or just plain common sense. As a matter of fact, just check your common sense at the door when you sign on to WTF. DO NOT VIEW WATCHES ON EBAY ALONE, LATE AT NIGHT!
Admit that you are powerless over watches and that your life has become unmanageable. (there is a twelve step program)

We understand. Really. We do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Watch collecting has little to do with budgets, sanity, reality, or just plain common sense. As a matter of fact, just check your common sense at the door when you sign on to WTF. DO NOT VIEW WATCHES ON EBAY ALONE, LATE AT NIGHT!
Admit that you are powerless over watches and that your life has become unmanageable. (there is a twelve step program)

Ya darn right we do! Just don't expect anyone to help you put on the brakes. :001_tongue: I'm at 7 Lum-Tecs and counting...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had that problem, I wasn't a watch collector before Lumtec, after my first Lumtec, now I am, I am not sure just what it is about these watches that make them so addictive. Chris has found a very good formula to cause addiction to watches. My 2 favorite watches are my M20 and my M26 and I started with a M24. I may eventually give away my M24 to a relative as a gift, as I have the M62 on the way. And I Bronze M54 coming in the fall too.
I love the hefty feel of the Tungstens.

If your unsure I would go with a M20, you can't go wrong with that watch, if I had to own only one, that would be the watch, yet my M26 gets the most wrist time these days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I made the mistake of viewing watches on ebay last night. Now I really want a Tissot Seastar 1000 Chrono :sad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really appreciate all of the encouragement, guys. I can tell this is going to be a great community!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts