WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a long time reader and first time poster of Watch Talk Forums and was hoping that the vast collective knowledge of the members can help in the identification of a specific Tudor Prince Date + Day model.

Below, is the image of said watch. However, I have no idea how to obtain further information on the item since Tudor does not provide a chronolog of their earlier pieces on their website, like many other manufacturers often have.

Is there perhaps a more specific model number associated with this watch? What is the movement in this piece? I suspect it to be an ETA 2834 but am uncertain. Lastly, does anyone know between what years this model was produced?

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Sneezy

·
Banned
28,345 Posts
Hi Sneezy, welcome to the forum. I can only second your guess that there's a 2834 inside that watch. It would be the most logical guess. Narrowing down the exact year of production might mean opening up the caseback to see the serial number.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think it must be a more recent production rather than an older vintage, because the caseback is stamped Tudor...... so it must date after Tudor stopped having Rolex case signatures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ ulackfocus & Hamiltonian:

Thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately the watch is not in my possession yet. Once I obtain it, I will open it and take a look. I also began a similar thread on watchuseek.com and a few members are concerned that the watch may be a replica. I do not share the same sentiments, but do you guys have any insight on that? Here is the link to the other thread, where there are also a few more pictures:

Can You Identify This Tudor? - Watchuseek Watch Fora

According to the seller, the item was purchased in 2001. He also mentioned that he will be sending me the original box, paper work, sales receipt and extra links. On the other hand however, if the watch is that old, based solely on the pictures, it is in almost too good of a condition... unless he had never worn it.

Nevertheless, I am still unable to find any info on this Tudor watch beyond what has been mentioned. At the very least, I was hoping to find images of the same watch from either Google or Tudor resources, but have thus far fallen short...

Thanks again!

·
Registered
266 Posts
welcome :) a dating of 2001 would be consistent, as they switched to Tudor case signatures in about 1999.

it looks ostensibly alright to me. if it's a fake it's an extremely good one. :001_unsure:... As they say, buy the seller. If he can give a detailed provenance of it, & if he still has the original AD purchase invoice that should be very reassuring short of opening it up for inspection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After much research, I am beginning to wonder whether it may be a replica after all... Now, I am by no means an expert in the realm of Rolex or Tudor but the word "Tudor" on the case back seems to be in the wrong font. At least, compared to current models.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Well I'm not an expert, but I've owned several Tudors, and looked at countless more. I can't see anything wrong with the watch to think it's a fake. The font looks OK to me. Plus, in my experience I've never run across a fake Tudor that wasn't one of the more sought after vintage ones. At least not a 100% fake (there are some with fake dials, especially the "California" dials). But, if someone's going to make a fake, why not make the Rolex version - why 'waste it' on a Tudor? Or at least fake the California dial. Both of which will get the fake seller more money.

The linen style dial day-date's one of my favorite tudors.. Good luck with it - hope it's OK & to see it on your wrist soon. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree with Scott D. I am not sure the difference in font proves it's a fake necessarily :001_unsure:. I've seen Rolex-signed casebacks of totally genuine older Tudors which had slight differing fonts.

I supposed the only way to resolve the doubts is to open it up or send it in for official authentication.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hm....

Going back to the point of buying the seller, I notice the page for that watch on a certain well known auction site has been posted in your other thread, and they claim the watch will be "fulfilled directly" by Prince Jewellery & Watch Co, Ltd, which is a well known bona fide chain in HK with a number of stores. They are ADs for a lot of top brands like AP, JLC, VC, Breguet, etc.)

However they seem to have been the target of counterfeiters expropriating their name, as their website comes up with a warning:

Important Notice

Prince Jewellery & Watch Company only operates in Hong Kong and does not sell or hold any auctions on websites. Furthermore, we have not opened any shops in china under Prince Jewellery & Watch Company. Customers should be aware of fraudulent websites, companies and activities purported to be under the name of "Prince Jewellery and Watch Company" outside Hong Kong.

Warning notice relating to FAKE WEBSITE
A fake website (<deleted>) in People Republic of China was found issuing forged invoices under our name and falsely claiming us, Prince Jewellery and Watch Company, a subsidiary of another company called “香港聖臣貿易有限公司” since 1972. We have retained legal advisor to take all necessary legal action against the said “香港聖臣貿易有限公司”

Another fake website (<deleted>) was found containing forged invoices under our name to cover up its sale of pirate Rolex watches. We have also retained legal advisor to take all necessary legal action in this matter.

We urge everyone to pay due caution and attention to this matter.
This would ring alarm bells. Note the bit about forged invoices. How about sending Prince Jewellery & Watch Co. an email to check with them whether they will be "directly fulfilling" the auctioned item?

Buy the seller... :001_unsure:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts