WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of trading photos of cigars, let's talk about the reasons we like certain particular cigars. I figure a cigar is really SPECIAL in terms of cream, spice or complexity. So let me start. I just puffed one of the best boutique cigars I've ever had. Why do I know I loved it? Because I smoked it down to one inch. I place it high on the spice list. It is the Four Kicks corona gorda by Jon Huber who used to work for CAO. He designed this cigar under the tutelage of Ernesto Perez-Carrillo Jr. The master. The wrapper is Ecuadorian Habano. The interior is Nicaraguan. It kept my attention all the way down. A classic.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
EPC Short Run - 10

Watch Cigar Hand Tobacco Analog watch
Cigar Hand Gesture Finger Wood

OK, tonight I looked in the wine-a-dor and found another Perez-Carrillo-inspired smoke. His own line. The EP Carrillo Short Run Robusto. I was so high on the Four Kicks that I wanted to compare with Ernesto's brand. Well, an inch into this thing I was totally bored. Just average smoke. And then I started to taste that wet mushroom with pepper flavor mixed in with the essence I found in the Four Kicks - some sort of spice that you can't put your finger on. Is it nutmeg? I can't tell. It is the Ernest MYSTERY SPICE. Then the cigar became delicious all the way down to one inch. So you get a medium-bodied smoke with good nicotine and a taste of wet mushroom, pepper and mystery spice. Very nice. And the ash was tight tight and clinging. I didn't have to re-light. I have found that cigars kept in my humidor (wine-a-dor) at 65% and 61 degrees F stay lit all the way down. All you have to do is toast them once and go. I think the storage is the key.

Oh, the watch is an Italian job called an Alessi. I like it. A highly polished snake band in SS is pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Curivari - 10

Watch Analog watch Gauge Clock Measuring instrument

OK, this is a Curivari which, I think, is a Nicaraguan puro. I think my hipster friend at the Seattle boutique store told me they are being made only for them. I may have misunderstood. Anyway, this is a gram cracker smore on toast cooked over a hickory fire. Can you dig that?

Oh, the watch is a Citizen quartz solar. I mean, really, it looks pretty good, correct???????

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Gotta tell you that every "green" cigar I've ever had was crap. I hope yours is much better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I wanted to like it. I like LFD cigars. The initial taste is sort of pleasant like a wheat field, but then it is just sort of so-so and uninteresting. Sort of boring.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Partigas 1845 - 10

Cigar Hand Tobacco Nail Drink

Partagas 1845 maduro corona. Really cool label. Good full flavor. I like it. I need to look up what it is.

OK, here is what it is:

Draped in a unique Ecuadorian Habano viso wrapper and generously filled with an intricate blend of long-fillers including Dominican Piloto Cubano ligero, Nicaraguan Guardian viso, Esteli seco, ASP seco, and a Connecticut Habano Broadleaf binder, Partagas 1845 was bred to deliver ample flavor. And deliver it does - this cigar is overflowing with hearty, rich tobacco notes, sweetness, coffee, pepper, and cedar. That hallmark Partagas smoothness remains, but the main core of flavors is a drastic departure. And that’s a good.

Figures it is that Ecuadorian habano again. I think I found my new 'go to' cigar.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Swag - 10

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Cigar Hand Tobacco Finger Thumb

Having this one tonight. Name is funky but a great smoke. Stand by.

Swag is a Dominican puro, more than that, all the tobacco comes from the same farm, allegedly all ligero! That makes it fairly unique. One might think a cigar sourced completely from a single farm, rolled entirely with ligero would be one-dimensional but that is certainly not the case here. Swag is also surprisingly affordable. If you like a full-bodied, spicy, complex cigar (or even if you don’t) read on.

The Swag Lavish robusto has an attractive, deep reddish brown wrapper with an oily sheen and a sweet, spicy, floral aroma. The shape is nearly perfect, smooth with consistent color and firmness throughout and a nice heft. A nose of the foot revealed leather, sweet spice and barnyard with a wisp of cedar. The generous triple cap remained intact after the cut and the draw gave just the right amount of resistance.

Toasting the foot brought forth scents of tobacco blossoms, cedar and clove, all of which were also present in the first puff, but the dominant note was pepper. While many other spices weaved their way throughout the smoke, the pepper was ever-present but not annoyingly so. The cigar was constantly changing, starting a little sweet and gradually becoming less so, earthiness at the start giving way to leather but always, the pepper.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I puffed that Exquisito figured and didn't like it at all. It has a sun grown habano wrapper which was actually sort of nice. Because of that shape, you get pure wrapper for the first five minutes. That was actually pretty nice. The rest of it is Dominican top leaf, but it is all grown in the same field. Maybe this is why this cigar was a 'one note' deal. Not very interesting at all. It was pretty strong in the nicotine area which I don't like unless there is some great flavors going on. It ended up tasting like pencil shavings dipped in nicotine. If someone handed me a cigar like this and I didn't know better, I would probably drop the habit.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
CAO VR Totem - 10

Tonight's cigar is the CAO VR Totem. Here are the stats:

Cigar Stats:
Size: 5 x 50
Wrapper: Brazil
Binder: Brazil
Filler: Mexico, Dominican Republic
Smoking Time: 1 1/2 hours
Beverage: Water
Price: ~$6.00

I love the unique flavor of this stick. It has a cocoa base and an aftertaste of buttered corn bread. Yummy.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My Father Antillas - 4

ENZO SAYS: That My Father 'Flor de las Antillas' was OK. I would call it a good solid cigar with nothing interesting happening. Prelight aroma was barnyard with a hint of something I've never really smelled before - dog pee. But there was nothing like that when lit. We all know that barnyard and even 'funky' barnyard is not necessarily bad at all on pre-light. I'm still hunting for cigars that are box-worthy. I find that I'm not OK with a simple 'good' cigar. It's got to be special to me. I find that I consistently like Padron, Arturo Fuente and Ernesto Carrillo and his partner Jon Huber at Four Kicks, AB Prensado, a PDR small batch and a Cuban Stock Reserve. Those are the 'exceptional' cigars to me at this point.

Wonder what I will pull out tonight for the 'debate.'

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hoyo de Monterray Excalibur - 8

Tonight it's the Excalibur 1066 by Hoyo de Monterray. Looks like a toro. 54 by 5.5". Dark maduro color and almost no pre-light aroma at all. Zero. Stand by.....

From Cheaphumidors:

Construction: The construction of the Excalibur 1066 is top notch. The beautiful, consistent burn made this cigar a dream to smoke. It has a very nice draw, not too fast, but not too slow either. A breathtaking dark wrapper, which is a Connecticut-Grown Havana-Seed wrapper. Chocolate in color. A nice, thick robusto; 5 3/4 long with a beefy 54 ring gauge.
Taste: The Excalibur was an amazing tasting cigar. It had tastes of sweetness, and wood. It also had hints of leather. It tastes really well with a nice dark roast coffee in the afternoon, or the evening after a nice pasta meal. This cigar is medium to full bodied, so it gives a very nice kick throughout the smoke. The blends of sweetness and earthy tastes make this cigar a must have on any enthusiast’s list.
Recommendation: As I said, this cigar is a must have for any avid smoker. They are available in 100% Cedar Boxes of 20, or you can buy them individually for about 5 dollars. There is nothing negative I can say about the Excalibur 1066. I give it a 5 out of 5.

ENZO SAYS: That review is very accurate. I really enjoyed this one. It smoked without relighting and had a fairly even draw. You could set it down and get it going again with a couple puffs. I smoked it down more than I usually do as it didn't get harsh. It was a straight-forward earthy smoke with a creamy body and a hint of wood and bitter chocolate. Not complex, but a very pleasant smoke. I would definitely smoke this one again or even buy a box.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The 1066 is one of the sticks that I buy a box at a time. In my experience, they consistently show excellent construction, even burn and marvelous flavor.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Amen to that, Banker. Your comments are all true. Now I'm going to compare that with some of my box cigars here and see if they hold up to it. I'm getting to the point now that I won't put up with a so-so cigar. If it is not pleasurable enough to really get my attention, I'll toss it.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Padron Lonsdres - 8

Ok, tonight is the Padron Lonsdres 5.5 by 42. I bought a bunch of these in Hawaii for $4.19 a stick and thought it was a tremendous deal. I remember liking them, but I will really tune into it tonight to see if it 'passes the Enzo palate test.'

The Padron Londres Maduro is a 5.5 x 42 Nicaraguan Puro with a nice dark oily wrapper and good construction. This cigar is a medium to full body stick, slow burning, offering a plentiful volume of smoke for about an hour which makes it a great afternoon or evening smoke. They are good to go right off the truck but do get even better with age. I think the thinner ring gauge enhances the flavor of the maduro wrapper which I personally prefer over the natural. Even though my comfort zone is around a 50 RG these smokes really hit home and at the price point they just can’t be beat. At just under $3 a stick at my local B&M, I always pick up a few when I’m there to have them on hand!

The cigar once lit, opens right up with a rich maybe dark roast or espresso coffee flavor complimented with a nice cocoa overtone. The smoke is very smooth and easy on the retrohale in which I sometimes detect a slight nutty flavor, usually in the first third.

Entering the second third, the cigar picks up a little adding some more cocoa to the mix along with a rich dark tobacco undertone. The retrohale starts to introduce a just little spice at this point but it’s pleasant and not the least overpowering. The ash is a light to medium gray and holds on fairly firm revealing a nice conical shaped cherry when tapped off.

The final third reveals more of the same never getting hot or harsh right down to the very nub. The cigar burns well from start to finish and I never felt the need to touch one up. The draw is typically perfect from stick to stick. This cigar is one that is very consistent, really delivers and at this price point I don’t see my humidor ever being without them. I hope this review qualifies because I wouldn’t call this a cheap cigar but rather a top notch cigar that is inexpensive!

Thumbs Up!

Cigar Stats
Brand Owner: Padron Cigars, Inc. – Miami, FL (website)
(distributor operates under the name Piloto Cigars, Inc.)
Factory: Tabacos Cubanica, S.A. – Esteli, Nicaragua
Factory: Tabacos Centroamericanos, S.A. – Danli, Honduras
Model/Vitola: Padron Series Londres (Natural and Maduro)
Size: 5.5 x 42 (corona)
Wrapper: Nicaragua
Filler & Binder: Nicaragua
Body: Medium to Full
Strength: Medium to Full
Average Retail: $2.65 USD
Cigar Insider/Aficionado Ratings: Consistently high 80s

I had to re-do this review. I pulled one of these out after it had rested for 6 months in my wine-a-dor. It was great! I was suprised how much it had improved. A lot of flavors, a good burn, lots of smoke. A great deal and a typical Padron.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Perdomo Slow Aged - 9

Test Two: Perdomo Slow-Aged 826. 5.75 by 50. This is another Nicaraguan puro with a nice Connecticut natural wrapper. Four types of Nic filler/binder with some ligero for nicotine boost. I have a box of these so I hope I like it. Stand by.

ENZO SAYS: When I first reviewed this cigar I sort of panned it. I've changed my mind and my rating. This is a GREAT cigar. Burns well with thick and plentiful creamy smoke. I also noticed a buttery Graham Cracker taste through the nose. I only rated it 9 instead of 10 for the lack of complete SMORE flavor. ha!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Cuban Stock Classic - 6

Cuban Stock Classic petit maduro.

The Cuban Stock Classic is a classic cigar, by all means. It’s a blend of 8 year old, mild Dominican tobacco. It has a Connecticut shade USA wrapper, which is gold toned, and very distinctive in texture; a well constructed cigar. The taste is mild; creamy, flavorful and super smooth with the most pleasant aroma, and no aftertaste whatsoever. Perfect for any time of the day.

ENZO SAYS: I wouldn't have guessed this was a Dominican cigar. The pre-light smelled like a hay stack. The smoke was pretty nice. Damp earth and black tobacco laced with black pepper. Dark. It was interesting enough to keep smoking. The stick had some minor problems staying lit, but I did not give up on it. I don't think a beginner would like it much, but I thought it was pretty good. I wouldn't buy any more, but it was a solid smoke.

edit: oh yea, it had NO 'pencil shavings.' I'm going to always note that because it is a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Casa Magna - 6

Casa Magna Colorado robusto

Casa Magna Cigars
The Casa Magna line of cigars is a collaboration between two of the greatest cigar makers, Manuel Quesada and Nestor Plascencia, the largest grower of tobacco in Nicaragua. Manuel Quesada has been in the cigar-making industry since 1974. Before the creation of Casa Magna, Quesada created mild cigars that were a blend of Dominican fillers and Connecticut wrappers.

Casa Magna are Nicaraguan puros rolled in Nestor Plascencia’s Segovia factory in Esteli, Nicaragua. Casa Magna are medium to full-bodied smokes with smooth, oily wrappers. Find out why so many cigar aficionados love Casa Magna. Best Cigar Prices has the best deals on the Casa Magna line of cigars.

Casa Magna Colorado cigars have been highly praised and have received rave reviews in the cigar world. The Casa Magna Colorado Robusto was named Cigar Aficionado’s Cigar of the Year in 2008. The cigar is made from a blend of Nicaraguan tobacco from Esteli, a richer, stronger tobacco taste, and Jalapa, a more balanced tobacco taste. The result is an extremely complex, rich flavor with notes of coffee, cedar, and raisins. The oily Colorado wrapper finishes off the cigar perfectly and offers a nice smoothness.

ENZO SAYS: Man, I wanted to like this highly rated cigar. All I can say is that there must be 'payola' when it comes to these magazines. I had high hopes because Plascencia is a tobacco grower/agronomist. It is a solid smoke that tastes like tobacco. That is all I can say for this 'one note' puro. Again, I haven't found a nicaraguan puro that appeals to me. They are devoid of complexity and interest to me.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.