WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if all Invicta watches are gold layered as opposed to gold plating and which process is better? What is the difference between the two processes, in other words how do they do gold layering?
:confused1:

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
To me the terms mean the same thing.
However, there are different plating processes.
And "layered" is like saying several "coats of paint."

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
This is a general description of ionic plating. I am under the impression that the Swiss gold layering process by Invicta is IP.

Electroplating

Electroplating is the process by which a metal in its ionic form is supplied with electrons to form a non-ionic coating on a desired substrate. The most common system involves: a chemical solution which contains the ionic form of the metal, an anode (positively charged) which may consist of the metal being plated (a soluble anode) or an insoluble anode (usually carbon, platinum, titanium, lead, or steel), and finally, a cathode (negatively charged) where electrons are supplied to produce a film of non-ionic metal. Source: Wikipedia

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
What?

This is a general description of ionic plating. I am under the impression that the Swiss gold layering process by Invicta is IP.

Electroplating

Electroplating is the process by which a metal in its ionic form is supplied with electrons to form a non-ionic coating on a desired substrate. The most common system involves: a chemical solution which contains the ionic form of the metal, an anode (positively charged) which may consist of the metal being plated (a soluble anode) or an insoluble anode (usually carbon, platinum, titanium, lead, or steel), and finally, a cathode (negatively charged) where electrons are supplied to produce a film of non-ionic metal. Source: Wikipedia
I also, did not inhale. OK, maybe just one time but that was it!:001_tt2:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Charlie,
I appreciate your wealth of knowledge, actually as I read your post it came to me that I had learned that in school.
Don :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts