WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have a 1966 214 with a case that looks exactly like that one but it isn't a Spaceview. The case number for mine is 2547 which can be a correct factory case for a Spaceview so it could easily be converted.
I paid less than $100 for mine last October.
I see no reason for that watch to have fetched that price but I stand ready to be corrected.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 1966 214 with a case that looks exactly like that one but it isn't a Spaceview. The case number for mine is 2547 which can be a correct factory case for a Spaceview so it could easily be converted.
I paid less than $100 for mine last October.
I see no reason for that watch to have fetched that price but I stand ready to be corrected.
Well at least it's a proper case for a spaceview, the rest of it being speculation. No recent service, scratched back, and corroded movement... geez that gold bezel was worth a lot. Maybe gold skyrocketed yesterday?
Bill

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Case number 2547 was one of many asymmetric Accutron cases that used a 29mm crystal with Bulova part number 1220-2. Bulova parts catalogs list only that clear crystal for those watches. On rare occasion, one of the asymmetric Accutrons will show up with an old style S or SL Spaceview crystal but to the best of my knowledge, none was ever offered as a factory replacement for those asymmetric cases. The subject watch has what looks like a Clark 1277SL crystal with matching Clark hands. The spade end of the minutes hand is not the correct shape to be a vintage Spaceview part.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: Bidding frenzy...

There's another identical watch, except for the green strap, listed on the bay currently at half the price with no "new-bee feeding frenzy" bidding going on, with about a day and half left... 140767100371

Different vender with a not as "grabbing" description of the piece.

If one takes the time to analyze the auction in the OP question, you will see how the inexperienced bidders (5) and the professional, slanted write-up, generated the finishing price exactly as the vender intended...

Lesson to be learned: never get into a bidding session with low feedback eBay bidders!

As for the originality of the watch, two identical pieces throw droughts in my thinking...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.