WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a watch that was given to me by my father, my mom bought it for him shortly after they were married in 1959,
All I know about it is what he tells me, He said it was called a "Diamond Jim Brady" but I cannot find any info on this watch anywhere.
I know it's 14k white gold, has a black silk strap with suede, its looks like a Tuxedo, but this has larger diamonds, and this one has diamonds on the dial,
any help would be appreciated,
myhamilton.jpg myhamilton1.jpg

·
Registered
507 Posts
It is a virtual certainty that your watch is recased -- assembled by a jeweler who used a Hamilton movement mounted in an non-factory case with non-factory dial. Many diamond watches, both men's and ladies', were recased. The way to determine for sure is to open the case and see if the inside of the case back is clearly stamped with the Hamilton name and Lancaster, PA address. Factory-made watches were marked; recased watches typically have only a stamp indicating the metal content and sometimes a serial number. There's no way to determine anything about recased watches since they were anonymously assembled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I was to open the case and find that it is marked "hamilton" would there be any type of numbers that would give me any info?

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Please read and re-read the answer above from HamiltonElectric and do as he suggested. This person is the most knowledgeable person in the world on Hamiltons from the 1950s and 60s. PERIOD! If you don't like his answer, then I suggest you look at the Hamilton catalogs and see if you can determine something else. The answers from anyone else will not be as correct as the information you already received... unless you can find the jeweler who (likely) built it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If I was to open the case and find that it is marked "hamilton" would there be any type of numbers that would give me any info?
Watch manufacturers contracted with case makers. The number in the case would belong to the case maker's series and not be relevant. If the inside of the watch has the Hamilton name, then it was, most likely, cased at the Hamilton factory. For some post-World War II watches, the model name also appeared on the inside case back. Any numbers on the movement would be relevant and give some indication of the year in which the case was manufactured, but no guarantee of that for later watches. The most that you will probably be able to ascertain is that it was either cased at Hamilton (and possibly assigned a model name) or it was cased by a jeweler. Any information that you can provide will allow us to be more helpful.

·
Registered
507 Posts
If the case is actually signed with the Hamilton name and Lancaster PA address (which would surprise me), then the case has been altered after leaving the factory. It is not a factory product in that configuration. I have seen instances where diamonds were added to a factory-cased watch by a jeweler, but that case does not look like anything recognizable, nor does the dial. In the highly unlikely event that it is an altered Hamilton case, better photos might help. But serial numbers will not help in any way.

I still feel quite certain that it's a recased Hamilton movement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please take no offense to me asking about if the case is marked Hamilton, I very much respect the answers of the vets on this board, I don't doubt that the watch may have been custom made and just have a Hamilton movement,
I will take better pictures of the watch and with the case open, Like I said this watch was passed on to me from my dad who gave it to me on my wedding day back in 1984,
I just spoke with him and he told me all he knows about the watch, It was purchased from Zales jewelers in Kansas City, MO in 1960, He could not remember if they told him the watch was custom or not,
He just remembers that they called the watch a "Diamond Jim Brady", what he paid for the watch, and the name of the salesman,
I personally don't care if its custom or factory, BUT my insurance company wants a value of the watch and the few jewelers I have taken it to tell me its not worth much unless it happens to be a rare factory model,
it is 14k white gold, and has over 3 carats of diamonds in the bezel, the diamonds are of VS-VVS quality, and these jewelers are appraising it for less than $1000, maybe that is about all its worth and my sentimental attachment
is making me think its worth more? Since it was given to me by my dad who is now 70 years old makes it priceless to me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts