1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
This also happens with gold plated cases because the base metal under the plating is softer brass. If the Twist-O-Flex band had spring loaded ends, the erosion will occur even faster. Bulova usually fitted these cases with leather bands because of this effect. The Speidel band was very popular at the time and many folks had the leather band changed out with the Speidel.

I have never inquired about repair for a solid gold case. I have asked about repair on a plated case and was told don't bother because of the expense and the fact that the lugs were soldered to the case and would come unsoldered if they were heated in an attempt to flow some gold into the worn area. I don't know if that is the final word. I wonder if this can be done to a solid gold case? I hope folks who have more experience with these cases have an answer for you.

·
Registered
556 Posts
A good jeweller/goldsmith should be able to repair the lugs for a reasonable cost, I think you could get it done for less than $100. You might even get it done for less if you can find an arts college that has a jewellry program. A replacement crystal installed would run $25-30 dollars, a donor watch could be picked up cheap for the crown. Altogether I think it could all be done for less than $200. Small price to pay for an heirloom that you could pass along to your kids or grandkids. Best of luck.

If I had the crystal size and had a match I'd donate one to the cause, I'd kick in a crown but I only have SS spares.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Actually a new technique called laser welding should sort that out. I will find the link and post it here. You will be surprised. Might be a bit more expensive but is worth doing it for your heirloom.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help guys. I've been getting quotes that range from $350 to $450 dollars to repair the lugs. I think I'll just sell the case for the scrap-gold price and see if I can find a nice "gold filled" case for transplanting the working movement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.