WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm not a collector, but am thinking about a new watch. Can dealers negoiate on brands such as Tissot and Movado, or are they locked in by the makers? If they do have room, can they get close to internet prices?

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
Girevik, welcome to WTF!

This is hard to answer without knowing who we're talking about. In general, yes they can negotiate. BUT a lot depends on the particular brand you decide on.
Some brands allow more leeway than others. Volume is another factor: whether the dealer only sells a few pieces or the full line of a given brand. Are you a repeat customer or have you never been to the store before.

Also, what web site you use as a comparitor is important. Why is that great deal so great? Is the site recommended by the manufacturer?
Is the site super high-volume high? Are they gray market? If the price is suspiciously low they're probably fakes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. It sounds like I've got a couple strikes against me. I don't buy a lot of jewelry, sup even if I go where I've bought before they aren't likely to remember me, but I guess it can't hurt to ask.

I'm not sure what you mean by grey market. I'm looking at jomashop.com, which is associated with Newegg and (I think) Amazon, so I think it's genuine. I know they aren't an Authorized dealer and offer their own warranty.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
And thus they are gray dealers. Simply a gray dealer is not an authorized dealer. They may be authentic, but the brand will not warranty them.

Yes most gray dealers offer their own warranty, but it's not apples - apples to the brands. Many gray marketers make you jump thru many hoops to get service, if you even get it at all.

There's been a lot of discussions here on the pros and cons of gray market dealers. Do a forum search and you'll find more info on them than you ever wanted.

Me personally though, for the brands you're discussing the discount I'd get at a gray dealer is nowhere near enough for me to lose the manufactures warranty. But that's just me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shopping in the Grey Market is like walking in a mine field, I've said for years, a great many
have more watches on their wrists than they have in stock, there're resellers.
I see that point. My problem is I REALLY like the Movado, but I'm not sure I can justify paying retail. That's why I was wondering about the wiggle room the dealers have. Guess all I can do is go in and ask.

·
Registered
20,788 Posts
I've also said for years, if you want it bad enough, it's hot and hard to get and you have a chance to get it, your gonna pay full-pop, if not, the guy behind you will.
True, some models you have to pay full retail for but we're not talking about a SS Daytona or extremely limited edition here. We're talking about Movado. Nothing wrong with them at all, but they're hardly a hard to get brand. The OP may want it bad enough, but it's probably not that hard to get and if the store he's dealing with won't deal I'm betting another will.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I had one 'customer' come in one night and said he could get 52 points for a Movado he wanted
real bad, but Nordstroms would have to order it. I had one in the case and 19 points was tops
for me and I told him that was it, no matter what. Seeing him walk made my day.
True, some models you have to pay full retail for but we're not talking about a SS Daytona or extremely limited edition here. We're talking about Movado. Nothing wrong with them at all, but they're hardly a hard to get brand. The OP may want it bad enough, but it's probably not that hard to get and if the store he's dealing with won't deal I'm betting another will.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.