WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

This watch belongs to the widow of a wealthy vintage car collector (so it should be genuine), but try as I may, I cannot find the specific reference for it. It looks like it has dual time and a power reserve meter - some kind of Grand Complication, but the twin barrels is something I haven't seen before (not that I know too much about PP). If anyone could shine any light on it I'd be very grateful. Sorry for the poor image quality, the lady is old and I had trouble getting her to work the phone camera! If I can get over there soon I'll take some better pictures. She told me that she sometimes wears it when gardening! :oops:

TIA

Watch Brown Analog watch Watch accessory Clock

Watch Light Automotive lighting Amber Analog watch

·
Administrator
6,350 Posts
There are a lot of very good quality Patek fakes (& a lot of poor ones) out there and even the wealthy can be fooled. Knowing the reference number would be very helpful and Patek engraves it on every case they produce somewhere. If not on the outside of the case back then its on the inside of the case back.

·
Super Moderator
16,091 Posts
Why is my Spidey sense tingling?

Reactions: whineboy

·
Registered
25 Posts
The movement is actually quite inventive, isnt it? Look at the lengths someone has gone to to design such a watch with two mainsprings, presumably to power that subsidiary dial. It is the only note of ugliness on what is otherwise quite a pretty watch. Except, of course for that bog-standard heavy case and lugs.

·
Super Moderator
16,091 Posts
I seriously doubt a second barrel would be needed for a mere subsidiary dial. That arrangement is most often used on multiple complication watches, or simply to extend the power-reserve.
And if THAT impresses you, I'll see your two-barrel movement and raise you the Vacheron Constantin Patrimony
Tour d' ile, ref. 89000/000R-9655 Limited to just 7 pieces, it was manufactured from 1990 - 2000 (MSRP: $1,500,000.oo)
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Watch accessory Clock

The movement contained FOUR (2-doubled) barrels powering a tourbillon, perpetual calendar, and eleven other complications for a potential total of 270 hours of running time (11.25 days), but capped off at 250 hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts