WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have recently inherited a Chandler 17 Jewels Incabloc winding pocket watch and was wondering if anyone could give me any info, i have had the back off and can see the mechinisam and it says swiss and 17 jewels on it, on the back case there is some number 15,21-6 and some some tiny number and what looks like signatures that i just cant make out with the naked eye.

I have included a picture but do to having a rubbish camera its really not clear.

I'm just trying to find out when the watch was made really and a bit of history, for example was it mass produced (which it looks like it could be) is it a 'brand' watch. anything really.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help

:001_smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't know anything about the brand, but it's a nice basic mechanical alarm watch, and I like the bezel/stand arrangement... looks like it was meant for use a travel alarm clock.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Chandler was the brand name used mainly by two Swiss watch companies from La Chaux-de-Fonds.

D. Gruen & Sons, the venerable USA-based brand had used the brand name Chandler as well at a time.

And there was a in his days well-known British watch maker named F.A. Chandler from Lemington. He made pocket watches in the early 1900s.

Back to the Swiss companies. The first to use the brand name Chandler was Marcel Jeanbourquin & Cie. They had also used the brand names Avanti, Belart, Chandeleur, Fidelity and Hudson for their pocket watches and later for wrist watches as well.

The second company having used the brand name Chandler was Lucien Jeanbourquin & Cie. The companies were related and had the Jeanbourquin-family as their main shareholders. Lucien Jeanbourquin used the name Avanti as well but was not a co-registrar for the brand name. Most of their watches were sold under the brand names Omnisport and Stabilux.

Back then it was not uncommon that the same brand name was used by different watch makers. The brand name Lucerne was used by more than 40 different Swiss watch companies from the 1940s onwards!

The Chandler name was derived from Marcel Jeanbourquin & Cie’s main brand Chandeleur. Chandeleur is the French name for the Catholic religious holiday of the Purification of Mary. Chandeleur as a brand name was registered on July 22, 1949 by Marcel Jeanbourquin & Cie for their pocket watches.

The Chandler brand name followed on April 15, 1954. That they went to the extent of registering this brand name and had Lucien Jeanbourquin from the outset as co-registrar means that the volumes the two companies expected to sell under the brand name Chandler were considerable. In those days most watch companies did not bother to register the brand names they used for their products except for the ones the expected to sell in numbers in the USA and in the UK.

The brand name Chandeleur was re-registered on June 21, 1989 by Lucien Jeanbourquin & Cie. It expired on June 20, 2009 as the company had ceased to exist shortly after the re-registration.

By the way, the brand name Avanti has been re-registered on February 22, 2007. It now belongs to the company COFRA Holding an important holding company controlling the world-wide activities of the clothiers C&A.

Marcel Jeanbourquin & Cie ceased operating in the 1960s already to my knowledge. Lucien Jeanbourquin followed in 1990 or 1991.

With kindest regards from today's sunny and cold Jura Mountains in Switzerland

James

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know anything about the brand, but it's a nice basic mechanical alarm watch, and I like the bezel/stand arrangement... looks like it was meant for use a travel alarm clock.

ah so thats a stand that part that comes of the back to realease the back plate? I didnt realise that :001_smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts