WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering this one 'cause I've been wanting a very black watch in my collection. Have my eye on a ceramic Pam, but that will have to wait a while. Question on this one, is the crystal clear on these, or is it still of the purple hue variety (I have an M24 that has the purple hue).

Also, I'd really like to see a shot of it on the matching bracelet. Did a search, but all the ones I saw had the leather, rubber, or another leather after market strap.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
845 Posts
My M42 does have a clear saphire crystal and has no blue reflection.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My M42 does have a clear saphire crystal and has no blue reflection.
Hmmm... one with and one without? I found some old threads talking about how the M42 was supposed to have single sided AR? This was before production though, so not sure if that ever happened.

Anyone have pics with the bracelet by chance?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have the LUM-TEC series from the M38 to the M42 and they all have clear saphire with single anti-reflection coating.

There is no 'blue tint' on these watches.:thumbup1:

Reactions: mvk666

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the LUM-TEC series from the M38 to the M42 and they all have clear saphire with single anti-reflection coating.

There is no 'blue tint' on these watches.:thumbup1:
Thanks Sidecross... and you a fan much of the M line or what?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok .....:blink:

I looked today at the watch, and it looked a little Blueish.
But; maybe it was the light-fall, or my eyes that are getting worse, you never know :wink:

·
Registered
750 Posts
IIRC, Chris has confirmed before on this forum that there is a slight blueish-purple hue to the AR coating on the 2011 M series watches, but it is nowhere near as evident as on the previous generation M series watches such as your M24.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks Sidecross... and you a fan much of the M line or what?
The LUM-TEC M38 thru M42 are some their best watches.

I like the choice of font used and all but the M42 the lume is as agood as the Combat series. These models also have the now hard to get ETA 2824-2 movement.:cool1:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The LUM-TEC M38 thru M42 are some their best watches.

I like the choice of font used and all but the M42 the lume is as agood as the Combat series. These models also have the now hard to get ETA 2824-2 movement.:cool1:
I had the same thought about the ETA... Funny how those ETA movements somehow seem more special now.

I'll try doing some more image searching online, see if I can see this thing on the bracelet. My buying decision is hinging a lot on that combo.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Zero blue hue on the M38-M42. Its a clear single AR coating. Unless the owner requested the double AR.
Thats great news Chris! I couldn't resist and already placed an order for one of the demo units. Sent you guys a separate email too in regards to the straps.

Just when I thought my watch buying was done until Oct's M53, you guys pull me back in!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had the same thought about the ETA... Funny how those ETA movements somehow seem more special now.

I'll try doing some more image searching online, see if I can see this thing on the bracelet. My buying decision is hinging a lot on that combo.
I wear my M42 with LUM-TEC NATO straps in both all balck or the Olive with black hardware. I also wear the LUM-TEC black leather strap with the LUM-TEC PVD deployment buckle.

I am not a big fan of the LUM-TEC bracelet design.:sad:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wear my M42 with LUM-TEC NATO straps in both all balck or the Olive with black hardware. I also wear the LUM-TEC black leather strap with the LUM-TEC PVD deployment buckle.

I've seen other M's with the bracelet and I thought they looked pretty good. But interestingly enough I pinged Chris about getting the Super Combat Nato's for the M42 since I thought they would look really good paired with the clean, simple black dial and case. Great minds! :001_tt2:

·
Registered
618 Posts

I really like the bracelet on my M42. The only complaint (and it's a small one) is that the edges of the links have that coppery look where the PVD isn't fully applied, or rubbed off, or whatever it is.

But that just reduces the watch from a score of 99 to a score of 95 :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
M42 owner here - no blue hue.. It's all good! :thumbup1:

Reactions: sidecross

·
Registered
623 Posts
I got my M24 backside coated only and it has no hue but makes a pinkish dot on reflection. I must admit I miss my purple dot but that dial is so unique I didn't want anything to mar the view.

On my M9 I just took some windex and wiped it several times and no it looks really clear, no oil like sheen. It still makes the purple dot though :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got the M42 today, and wow... I didn't expect this watch to look this nice in person. Not sure the actual dimension, but it appears thicker then my M24, maybe just the PVD vs. Tungsten? Gonna get the bracelet sized tomorrow to have that option but it looks very stealth and tactical on the Black Super Combat nato. The dial is really the stand out piece. Really nice detail, and that lack of purple hue to the crystal really allows the dial's subtlety to stand out.

Chris, this is an amazing watch for the money. I was looking forward to my bronze M53 before, but seeing what you did with this generation M-Auto has me even more excited for the latest and greatest. Really just blown away that my sub $1000 purchase from Lum-tec feels and looks the business up against other pieces that are 4 times the cost that I own. Couldn't be happier with this piece.

Don't know how many of these you have left, but if anyone is on the fence considering this bad boy, pick it up with a quickness. Well worth the price.

Now that I have my very Black watch box ticked.... I have to try and justify a Super Combat B2.... Absolutely LOVE that dial..... I need more wrists.... :001_tt2:

Thanks!

Reactions: sidecross

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Congrats Patrick!! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Congrats Patrick!! :thumbup1:

Thanks Brian. Getting the bracelet sized tonight to have as an option on this one. Although looking at a nice Greg Stevens Design Olivio leather strap with PVD buckle for it too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts