1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been thinking about this thread for a long time
and wanted to wait until we had a nice little group
of people in this Forum.

It is called "Cafe Americana" and it will remain at the header...
Please join the fun.:thumbup1:

I wanted to do a thread where we could kick back,
have a cup of Joe, Wine, Sangria...
(depending on what time of the day it is!)
and share our interests, families, dogs, cats
whatever... and who we are.

We have a GREAT group of people here...
FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD!
(and growing rapidly!)

I have lots of interests and lots of "kids"
I collect motorcycles and related stuff too!
Here is one of them!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Nice thread Greg!

Well, I do have kids. Two beautiful teenage girls, yes teenage girls(!:crying:)that are turning out more beautiful than I ever could have expected. That must be due to my wonderful wife! I also have two cats, the old man named Bubba, who is now an incredible looking 20 years old and a 3 year old named Lola. My girls are dying for a dog, but I say, no way! They could be out of the house in a couple of years and then mom and dad will be stuck caring for him alone. Not happening!

Anyway, I'm born and bred in Queens NY and still a resident of this fine borough and I'm second generation Italian/American. I served in the military, 4 years Air Force, 10 years Air National Guard and another 10 in the Army National Guard. Yeah, what was I thinking! I'm an operating engineer, which are the guys running everything from cranes to backhoes to bulldozers and everything in between on the construction sites. I'm currently demolishing the old Yankee Stadium, which I have mixed feelings about, but hey, it's a good job to be on.

Anyway, I love cars. Used to own a bunch of muscle cars, but now I have a little sports car to tinker with, a 79 Fiat Spider. Quite a difference from a muscle car, eh? -

·
Banned
3,655 Posts
Yes GREAT thread Greg, but lets call it "Cafe 'en todo el mundo"

Me I thought I had everything, then realized I had nothing (except money) now I am trying to re-build my life with the help of Susan.

I do have two GREAT children and two lovely grand children.

Now i LOVE my children, I love the wind and the sun.

So life is good, and I made some GREAT friends in NY.

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great Thread. And a GREAT message board. I Have a lot of fun here and I have learned so much.
I was born and raised in South jersey. I have one son. (that is enough LOL)
We both started collecting watches about a year ago. We are always at antique auctions. One time we bought a box of jewelry and it had a few Pocket watches. We were amazed the way you could open the back and see the works.

Well we were hooked. I will be posting some of our collection tonight. We are also both into Motorcycles. We have a vintage Yamaha enduro we are restoring with now.

But the main thing I have been collecting for 15+ years are Antique, 1880's - 1930 Cast Iron toy Motorcycles and Mechanical banks. We collect Hubley, Arcade, Kyser & rex, etc...

There are some Very nice, Friendly and helpful people here. I love to collect with my son. It is great to get the younger generation into this Hobby.

I have been in the Antique business for a while now. (My father got me hooked) There are not enough young adults interested in Quality items that they can hand down to their children. Most young adults are the throw away generation. They buy from Ikea and those type of stores. Not if, but when these cheaply made items break or stop working they go out to the trash.

I have one pocket watch from the Civil War era. It is running strong and keeping perfect time. That was when the USA built things that lasted for 150+ years.

Well sorry I am so long winded, I Just think it is very important to teach Young adults The history of watches and watchmaking. And the Craftsmanship of the American Companies that made these small works of art. I am excited to be a part of this site and a watch collector. Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Great post solaz, glad your here and enjoying the forum!:thumbup1:

Believe me, your not the only baby boomer lamenting the fact that there is no such thing as quality today. Go to the "American Watch Factory" thread and you can see your not alone! I think that is why guys like us collect these little marvels, because it's keeping something that was once very important, alive. Glad you got your son involved!

Post often and post pics! We love pictures!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have been thinking about this thread for a long time
and wanted to wait until we had a nice little group
of people in this Forum.

It is called "Cafe Americana" and it will remain at the header...
Please join the fun.:thumbup1:

I wanted to do a thread where we could kick back,
have a cup of Joe, Wine, Sangria...
(depending on what time of the day it is!)
and share our interests, families, dogs, cats
whatever... and who we are.

We have a GREAT group of people here...
FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD!
(and growing rapidly!)

I have lots of interests and lots of "kids"
I collect motorcycles and related stuff too!
Here is one of them!

Howdy Greg, or should I say "The Fonz!!!" Nice bike. What model is it???Looks like the new Softail Deluxe, but you have a springer front end....I've spent my whole life in NE Ohio. Hobbies include motorcycles, antique cars, and Freemasonry. No kids yet, but maybe soon. Did I leave out watches??? I really enjoy vintage watch collecting. Like to find watches destined for the scrap heap then restore them...

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
This is my little princess taking a bath...
The red eyes are from the picture...she has brown eyes in original
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Howdy Greg, or should I say "The Fonz!!!" Nice bike. What model is it???Looks like the new Softail Deluxe, but you have a springer front end....I've spent my whole life in NE Ohio. Hobbies include motorcycles, antique cars, and Freemasonry. No kids yet, but maybe soon. Did I leave out watches??? I really enjoy vintage watch collecting. Like to find watches destined for the scrap heap then restore them...
Glad you guys are all joining in!:thumbup1:

WS:
The Fonz... you know you used to love him!
It is called a "Softtail Custom" it was very limited edition
with a springer front end modeled after the 1936.
I have a bigbore kit and lots of chrome as you can see.

I have Ducati
Royal Enfield
and some other Harleys
And a 1966 Schwinn Stingray

Love Bikes!

Alvin, Cute kid!:thumbup:

Adam,
Beautiful Girls!

Jim,
Cool Car!

Keep em' coming gang!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Glad you guys are all joining in!:thumbup1:

WS:
The Fonz... you know you used to love him!
It is called a "Softtail Custom" it was very limited edition
with a springer front end modeled after the 1936.
I have a bigbore kit and lots of chrome as you can see.

I have Ducati
Royal Enfield
and some other Harleys
And a 1966 Schwinn Stingray

Love Bikes!

Nice!!! Harley came out with so many new models recently, I can't keep them straight. PS, as we know, the Fonz actually rode a Triumph in Happy Days. Just like "Johnny" rode one (A Thunderbird) in the Wild One. I've had a slew of bikes in the past. Had a 2001 CBR929RR along with my FXST until last year. Had a Power Commander and a full race D&D exhaust. Got rid of it before I killed myself!!!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Aaaargh! It's freezing!:mad:

It is way to early for this kind of deep freeze weather! At least we didn't get any snow in NYC yet, but the suburbs did. Scary!:scared:

Big winter storm blowing across America this week. Everyone survive?:001_unsure:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 2004 Harley Dyna low rider that hits the road all year long as long at there is no ice. Thank goodness for heated gear.
I wish the American watch manufacturers had taken a page out of the Harley Davidson book. They are an American icon that plans to hang around forever.
Anyone up for a "road trip" in the Spring? There is an American watch manufacturer in PA who could use a visit.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 2004 Harley Dyna low rider that hits the road all year long as long at there is no ice. Thank goodness for heated gear.
I wish the American watch manufacturers had taken a page out of the Harley Davidson book. They are an American icon that plans to hang around forever.
Anyone up for a "road trip" in the Spring? There is an American watch manufacturer in PA who could use a visit.
Always up for a ride!
In LA till tomorrow... It never rains here and it is POURING!:cursing:
Usually love to ride out here, but not this time.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Looks like New York City is going to get a real white Christmas this year!:)

We're expecting a foot or better of snow with blizzard conditions this weekend and it has been seriously cold for this time of year to. South and Central Jersey could see alot more!(are you listening Dennis!) I had two Christmas parties to go to this weekend to, but they are both cancelled....:sad:

We can be in for one, long, hard winter folks. Global warming? I don't think so...

1 - 20 of 217 Posts