WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I am fairly new so I just wanted to check and see if I have done the right thing. I am seriously looking at buying a new Rolex for my mother. I have spoken to the seller and we have exchanged talks. The watch is a 2007 and the warranty is directly from Rolex started in December 2007.

I plan on contacting my credit card company and also plan on going through paypal on this transaction. I have also to contact them and see how well I am protected.

This the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180208223207&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

There is one query and that is that the seller is not willing to give out the serial number. Is this the norm? The reason for this is that I wish to contact Rolex and verify the watch.

Any constructive input would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey Robbie,

A couple of things. First, as with anything in eBay research the seller. Go into their feedback, review past transactions, was it a watch, how many unique people has he dealt with, etc. Also, what has he sold & what's he selling now? Look at his store & see if it's all watches or is he selling mostly shoes & 1 watch? It can be a pain & alot of work, but identify 1 crook you might have done business with & it's all worth it.

Second, most sellers don't give out the SN until the sales done. This is mainly to protect them from having someone getting a legit SN & putting it on a fake. I don't know how that matters, but it is fairly common to not see SN's advertised or given out. And to be honest, I'm not sure Rolex would provide you any information unless you had proof of ownership. They're pretty tight when it comes to giving out info.

Second, while it was just bought, its possible Rolex will not honor the warranty. Rolex warranties are non transferable, so only the original buyer is covered. If the warranty card has already been filled out with a name, you probably won't be covered. Also, if the warranty card is missing the date of original sale and original AD stamp, you won't be covered. Even with it, Rolex could ask for proof of purchase from the AD. So while it may include papers, depending if they're filled in you still may not be covered.

If you've talked to the guy, and verified he's in the US, is he a store? If so, I'd feel better. Also, just as a note I believe PayPal will only cover you up to $2,000. So if there is fraud, you'll be on the hook for anything over $2K.

Again, I'd check around... But that's just my 2 cents...

Also, the price just doesn't seem that good for an eBay. Personally, if you're looking to go the non-AD route, I'd check the WTF sponsors. Several sell Rolex, and all are trustworthy. While all are pre-owned, many of them offer their own warranty so you know your covered.

Good luck!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Buying from e bay

Buying from E bay has inherent risks as you are probably aware. As mentioned many of the Forum's sponsors would in my mind be a much safer source.... its just not worth the risk IMHO
Knoffie

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
hey everyone,
Just a reminder, we don't allow publishing of non-sponsor sites or contacts...

Robbie,
Not sure you made the connection, but Aaron W is a WTF sponsor (WallachsWatches). You'll find his, and all the WTF sponsors, links on the main WTF page below the forums and at the top of the Rolex forum....

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Dallas RSC requires a sales receipt (along with the warranty paper/card) from the AD to honor the warranty.
Of course it must have your name and the AD's name on it.

I was told this a few weeks ago while I was there.

Spend the extra $$$ and do it the right way.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
The Dallas RSC requires a sales receipt (along with the warranty paper/card) from the AD to honor the warranty.
Of course it must have your name and the AD's name on it.

I was told this a few weeks ago while I was there.

Spend the extra $$$ and do it the right way.
Soooo many people discard the sales receipt....they WILL NOT with hold service because you don't have a sales receipt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My personal opinion is that realistically, with the current price and after bidding, shipping, etc., you'll be saving approximately $1,000 off of MRSP, and that is on a "D" serial number watch, from a NON authorized dealer off of ebay.

On the OTHER hand, you can walk into an AUTHORIZED DEALER, actually see, touch, feel and authenticate the watch, and know with 100% confidence that the watch is authentic. Additionally, since the "D" series there has been the "Z" series and now the "M" series. So although the quality of the watch has not changed, you can walk into an authorized dealer and purchase a TRULY brand new manufactured watch, for a price that's probably not that much more than ebay.

Remember, when you go into the AD, you MAY be able to negotiate a percentage off of the watch. Since it's not a Daytona, SS Sub, etc., you may be able to negotiate 10% off the watch, which closes the gap on the amount you're really saving on ebay.

So, with the amount you're REALLY saving, vs. the fact the you know you're getting the DEFINITE real deal from an AD, with a valid warranty and a brand new in box watch, etc., etc., I'd pass on the deal and find an AD willing to make me an offer.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Good reasoning DocD. I'll add that all it takes to 1 bad deal to negate 10 other great deals. Knowing the seller and the situation is the key to avoiding heartache.

DocD, I noticed your post count. We're glad to have your perspective here. Your reasoning is sound and well in line with the forum's collective suggestions with regard to counciling other's acquisitions. Welcome to the NEW Watch Talk Forums! Do come around and share often.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with what Scott D stated.

After you have done your research on the seller and are comfortable with your decision, definitely use a credit card and not paypal. Once you have the watch, go to your nearest AD and have them confirm authenticity by removing the case-back to confirm the Rolex movement.

After reviewing the link you provided, it doesn't seem like that great a deal for a datejust. At that price, I would purchase from an AD or one of the forum sponsors.

Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Although it is a wise suggestion to recommend that after purchasing a "supposed" Rolex on ebay or from any other source, the buyer head on over to his local Rolex AD to have the case back removed and the movement authenticated, I don't think this is always realistic.

I know as a matter-of-fact, that in my geographic area, the majority of the Rolex AD's do NOT have an in house watchmaker or anyone qualified to perform that task. Due to the cost of keeping an in house watchmaker, and the fact that many customers request service by the RSC, it has no longer become cost efficient for many stores to maintain an in house watchmaker.

Additionally, even those that DO have an in house watchmaker aren't going to be willing to perform this service for under $100, since there is a liability issue, and once the case back is opened, the watch NOW has to be resealed/water proofed/pressure tested. This will not be done for gratis unless you have a very strong relationship with the AD.

The bottom line is that unless you know and trust the seller, and it's a great deal, there's no better peace of mind than buying from an AD.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Once again, I concur with DocD. Rolex demands their ADs provide after market service for their watches, but not authentication.

The overwhelming majority of Rolex ADs are far more jewelry store than watch authority. On the rare chance you do find a competent AD that has skills beyond sizing bracelets, a quality authentication IS more than just popping off the caseback as the watch should be resealed and pressure tested.

This is more than a 10 minute procedure and they will asked to be compensated for the service as they differentiated themselves from the jewelry store ADs by having the necessary tooling and expertise. (Also, you didn't buy from them, so they aren't obligated to provide anything)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to thank you all for your input. You have all provided me with educated valuable information that has enabled me to make up my mind.

I will pass on and find a reputable authorized dealer.

Thank you again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts