WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Inside a watch box I recently purchased for my Astronaut Mark II was a pamphlet titled "Accutron Timepieces In Railroad Service, Series 218". That was a surprise as it wasn't mentioned in the item description. Anyway, my point in this thread is what Bulova said about maintenance of the Accutron movement:

"Many railroads require complete overhaul of watches in railroad service every 18 months, since the performance of conventional watches gradually deteriorates as the parts wear and as lubrication fails. Preventive maintenance is required before the timekeeping quality of these watches will no longer meet the requirements set by Time Service Rules.
The Accutron electronic circuit and tuning fork have no pivots or bearings and the pressure on pivots and jewels in the Accutron gear train is negligible. Furthermore, there is no element of this timepiece which requires adjustment at regular intervals. As a result there is no progressive deterioration in Accutron timekeeping. Bulova therefore recommends servicing only "as required", rather than periodically. Exception is occasional regulation if required.
Before having your Accutron serviced, if it is performing satisfactorily, check the Time Service Rules for your railroad, to determine whether the periodic overhaul requirement has been waived for this timepiece.
Recommended ANNUAL maintenance procedures for Accutron timepiece, to be performed by your watchmaker or by the Official Watch Inspector:
1. Replace the Power Cell.
2. Check for water resistance, to assure it does not leak."

The booklet goes on to discuss setting time and date. I know I have seen mention before of less gear train wear in Accutron movements but had not seen an official statement by Bulova about periodic maintenance. One interesting point I have wondered about is the type of watch gear train lubricants used by Bulova in the '60s and '70s. My guess is that synthetic lubricants were not available at that time so all of our Accutrons serviced in more recent years and lubricated with the proper synthetic lubricants would be in even better shape for the long haul since synthetics hold up better over time. Of course, any Accutron not serviced since new or of unknown service history should be serviced before continuous use.

Since I don't have a 218 RR Accutron and don't plan on getting one, I will probably list the pamphlet for sale to a collector who has one in their collection.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Man! That is very interesting. Every 18 months....:eek:hmy:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts