WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the look of the Catamount model 98B167. At 47mm it's a little larger timepiece than I'm used to. I was wondering how comfortable it would be at that size. Does anyone here own one? Thoughts on the Precisionist line in general?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Virtually all Precisionist models are on the large, bulky side of design. Some might also say they are a little gaudy. A few of the newest models are slightly smaller and of a more conservative design. At the moment I have a Champlain Chrono diver that is very thick and large. Not certain of its exact diameter but must be close to the watch you reference. Size is a matter of preference and you will have to make the final decision. I have always tended toward the older, smaller watches but in the last couple years have purchased a few larger, bulkier models. I am satisfied with how they wear and look on my average size wrist. I actually bought the Chrono diver because it is large, bulky and on the blingy side. Perhaps you can find a dealer who has that model in stock and see how you feel about its size on your wrist.

The claimed accuracy of + or - 10 sec/yr has been the subject of much discussion on watch forums. Many earlier models (2010 introduction) didn't do so well on the accuracy side. I have a 2011 Claremont that has already gained 6+ seconds since being re-set for regular time in early Nov. - not good! The Chrono diver has only gained about a second since then. I have the Precisionist watches because of the unique movement and that I collect Bulova timepieces.

There are some excellent deals on eBay, offering DEEP discounts off MSRP. I have owned four Precisionists watches but sold two of those when "moving up" to a model more desirable to me. Two were purchased new, two in mint used condition. All have functioned properly, if not to the claimed accuracy. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
No thanks. I like the styling but it's just too far past 40mm for my taste.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a blue Champlain catamount. I don't it quite comfortable to wear even on my 7.5" wrist. It's a Matt of preference, I must say it is a lot of watch, not everyone likes them but Ido.

·
Registered
104 Posts
With my wrist being 6-3/4”, I think I’m too small to wear a Precisionist. I have a few Accutron IIs, which have smoothly sweeping second hands and accuracy near or equal that of the Precisionists. The case diameters of mine are in the 42-43 mm range. I put this one on an aftermarket bracelet - I didn’t like the blue leather strap that it came with.

·
Super Moderator
15,943 Posts
SInce we've decided to bring this thread back to life:
I agree with you, Mystic Nerd! I too have an under 7" wrist and my 2010 Precisionist
Watch Brown Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

is probably a little too big for me (one of the reasons I love watches from the 30s through to the early 60s)

but I've worn it often enough I can just about look past it now. Now, if only it were a little lighter in weight! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts