WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just joined this group to hopefully get some information/advice what to do about an ongoing problem with the watchband of the Caravelle 40B51

This is the watch:

Watch Analog watch Clock Rectangle Watch accessory

Not sure if the picture will show up when I post....

In any case, I love the watch, had it for many years; it keeps time perfectly, nice and thin and a shape I like, so I would like to keep it but I have an ongoing problem with the watchband where the links keep separating or breaking.

It's almost as if something ages because for the first several years there was no problem and now, for no apparent reason, the links separate on one side and then eventually on the other.

I have had that watchband repaired three or four times already, the breaks always occur on a different place the next time.

Tried getting an exact replacement but no luck, it's probably also difficult to get a different watchband that fits because the way it's attached to the watch - the watchband itself is 19mm wide but the part connected to the watch is only 9mm wide.
I'd be happy with a leather watchband if there was one that would fit.

Anyone have an idea why this watchband keeps breaking?
And what are my options to replace it?

Thanks,

Knut

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Beautiful watch! Yes, bands that are integrated into the case can be difficult to replace. I can't offer advice on repair but do have a question. Once repaired, does the repaired area break again? If not, why not just have all the original links on the band repaired at the same time. Probably not cheap but might be a solution.

Also, keep checking eBay as original new old stock bands are always showing up. Might just get lucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments.

I have an automatic search active on ebay with the watch number I posted, maybe I need to try another one a bit less specific.

I googled extensively but everyone who shows that watchband in their store shows it as discontinued and out of stock.

As to repairing each link, not only would that be pretty expensive I think, looks like there are 61 or 62 links, the other problem seems to be getting the part that breaks.

I have been to a few jewellers and most of them don't have the part required, so getting 124 of them, looks like there are two per link, doesn't sound to feasible.
But when I get this last break fixed, I'll ask about it.

Does anyone know what actually breaks?
I have checked many websites that explainn how to repair certain types of watch bands but I have never come across one that covers a watchband like mine.

One idea I had this afternoon - after I get the current break fixed I wonder if there is some tape I can put on the inside of the band to help minimize the stress on the links that keep breaking.
Actually, the band is quite loose around my wrist - there is no tension. It's almost as if the links experience metal fatigue and just break.

I wonder if there is any point contacting Bulova to see if they have any suggestions.

PS: I wonder if a band like this one on ebay would fit (and look good):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bulova-Cara...639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab862387f

My band measures 9mm/19mm

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
What brand is the band you have on your watch? Just curious.

Yes, with so many parts needed, you do have a problem!

The band you linked to is, like yours, 9 mm wide at the case lug opening but does not give the other dimension. You can ask the seller to measure that dimension for you. The 18 cm dimension is, as you probably know, the length of the band.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The band I have now is the original one that came with the watch, so I assume it's Bulova/Caravelle.

As you said, it's essentially integrated and matches the watch perfectly.

As to the ebay item - I read that too fast and read 18mm instead of 18cm, so I thought that was the width of the band.

Buying something like that over the net is a bit tricky anyway since one is never sure how the product actually looks in real life and how well it matches the watch itself.

I have also been to a number of Jewellers to see if they had a replacement band that might fit and look OK, but so far no luck.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
It is not a bad looking band but it certainly isn't a match. The band is most likely in very good condition but may show some light marks from moving it around and storage. I have not been disappointed with NOS bands I have purchased from The Bay.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you decide to go with a leather band, I would get one in the width from the outside of the lugs and modify it by cutting it to fit. I have done this before for a couple of my watches and if you measure twice or more and cut only once :001_smile: , it will look like it was made for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you decide to go with a leather band, I would get one in the width from the outside of the lugs and modify it by cutting it to fit. I have done this before for a couple of my watches and if you measure twice or more and cut only once :001_smile: , it will look like it was made for it.
That sounds like a great alternative, thanks.

It's sort of frustrating - the ladies version of this watch seems to be still readily available.
I was even debating just getting another one of these watches but nobody seems to still have them.

I really like the rectangular shape with the cut off corners and the fact the watch is very thin - 5mm or slightly more.

It also has the date indicator which is what I like.

I think I'll get the links fixed one more time, keep looking for a proper replacement and also check out what leather bands I can get in 19mm width.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.