WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bulova has had an "Ambassador" line of watches since back in the 1930s. In the 1960s the line consisted of a variety of styles using the Bulova micro-rotor automatic movements based on the Buren 1280/1/2 and 1320/1 movements. This Bulova movement came in a variety of calibers in 17 jewel & 30 jewel variations:

12EBA - time only (hour, minute)
12EBAC - center seconds
12EBAD - time only (hour, minute) and date
12EBACD - center seconds and date
12ECAD - time only (hour, minute) and date
12ECACD - center seconds and date

One variation of this movement (12EBA) is shown below:

Interesting features of this movement family include:

- Integrated micro-rotor with unique transfer wheel sandwiched between two jewels.
- Eccentric screws for both beat & rate adjustment (see balance bridge above)
- Offset center wheel with integrated cannon pinion
- Indirectly driven center seconds
- Unique date changing mechanism which, although not a quick-set, allowed the date to be rapidly advanced by moving the hands between 23H & 24H.
- Very thin at 2.85mm (12EBA) - 3.6mm

In general, after 1965, these Ambassador model watches used one-piece cases (movement comes out the front) with improved water-resistant characteristics. All of the watches shown here have one-piece cases.

Pictured below are a variety of Ambassador models from this period.

From 1965:

From 1966:

From 1967:

From 1968:

This is one of my favorites. It's really a classy looking watch. This watch uses a 14K gold bezel with a stainless case & original gold band.

From 1969:

From around 1970 I think:

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
The "Ambassador" series is a very handsome collection

Jim H the one you singled out as one of your favorites, IS my favorite also.

I would love to own any one of those Ambassadors. Great photos!! :001_wub:

·
Registered
1 Posts
i bought a couple few days, the Ambassador of 1967 automatic 30 jewels, but i have a doubt, how can i open the watch, because i cant see in te back case marks to turn the lid,no nut to accommodate screw-on box opener
It is the same as the link that I add to this comment

somebody help me?

tks

·
Super Moderator
5,839 Posts
It might be a snap back case but the 'Ambassadors' were generally a solid one piece case in the 50's & 60's so the movement likely comes out the front. You'll need to remove the crystal (use a proper tool) and the crown needs to be separated from the stem (hint its a split stem as shown below) before you can remove the movement.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of how common they were? I’ve got the no date, no center seconds version, and I rarely see them listed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Does anyone have an idea of how common they were? I’ve got the no date, no center seconds version, and I rarely see them listed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t believe they were “common” but I do see them from time to time. I’ve had a 30 jewel date version for several years. I shared it on My Bulova and was told it probably wasn’t a Bulova factory piece, despite seeing others exactly like it listed. Some criticized the micro rotor as being too small and lacking enough inertia to keep the watch wound from day-to-day if there wasn’t much arm activity. I’ve never experienced that issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts