WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been almost 2 years since I have run across a Solid Gold early year Model Accutron that was worth buying but I stumbled upon this beauty. I have noticed that we just don't have many active members that collect these pre-1963 models as we have had in the past but I think a write-up and reference for a search would help someone looking for info on this Model 503. This forum has a lot of good old-school vintage tech info. I know Accutronredux has a beautiful White Gold example of this watch also.

This is a correct 1960 Accutron Model 503 with Style # 25004 in 14kt White Gold. Case # is 2313. This particular watch seemed to have been sitting in a drawer for a while and to my surprise hasn't been mutilated or molested/ modified or hacked like so many accutrons these days. It was obvious that the seller had no idea what they were selling. The nice surprise about this watch are:
1. It has the original 14kt White Gold Buckle and worn but intact original strap. ( I replaced the strap with a newer version but swapped the White Gold Buckle to the new strap)
2. It has an extremely clean and corrosion-free correct (M0) movement. (Having that correct M0 movement really surprised me). That's almost unheard of.
3. The correct dial and hands are in excellent shape.
4. The case is very nice and doesn't appear to have been buffed out in the past so the edges are crisp but it does show some signs of wear so a Replateit restoration may be in its future.
Below are a few pics of the watch. I don't always end up with such a nice watch that hasn't been worked over but this one was a great (and lucky find). It probably sat so long that when I pulled off the original band the lug spring bars had the greenish corrosion on them. So after a nice case cleaning and new crystal, it ended up like this. And I saved this one from being melted down:rolleyes:. Enjoy!;)(y)

M0 Movement with no date stamp.

Correct M0 Movement. Correct 3 prong Battery hatch spring and correct snapback setting stem.

Very clean crisp movement with the 3 wire coil assy.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Very, very nice!
Why do you say it is white gold? It looks yellow on my screen. What am I missing?
The camera settings & lighting do have an effect on color. Below are pics of the White Gold case and watch and also a Yellow Gold Alpha. You should be able to see the difference.

White Gold

YELLOW GOLD
1.jpg

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
All I can say is WOW! That watch is a time capsule 🥁

So beautiful...I love white gold.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I can say is WOW! That watch is a time capsule 🥁

So beautiful...I love white gold.
Thanks!. I seem to have a collective interest in the early Pre-1964 Accutrons and the few that I do collect, I attempt to make my modest collection a nice correct as possible representation of what Bulova was in the very early stages of the Accutron craze.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, that is beautiful, what a great find. Do you mind me asking if you came across this online, or was it a local find?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! I found it Online!(y)
Well it is great to know thanks. The Accutron range are slim to non-existent here in Australia, so all my buying is done online and it's nice to think, I might one day be able to come across such a nice example online myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts